View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Coney Island 10K

Rate this Entry
by , September 12th, 2011 at 02:04 PM (1508 Views)
Yesterday I went out to Coney Island for the New York Harbor 5K/10K swim. I had swum out at Brighton the day before, and the water had been so gentle and calm, and the day so warm and balmy. Yesterday was a different story altogether. The sky was overcast and the wind had kicked upit was a raw, blustery day. For some reason the Ernie Banks quote kept on going through my head: Its a beautiful day for a ballgamelets play two! (Its a beautiful day for a loop? Lets swim two!)

My day got off to a somewhat somber start, seeing TSA agents joining the ranks of machine-gun-toting police stationed at my local subway stop. My backpack was swabbed and approved before I was allowed through the turnstiles. The heightened security in the city for the last few days has just underscored the sadness of the 9/11 anniversary for me. Layered atop that was the sense that my days swim was in some small way a memorial swimlate summer races at the beach always remind me of my AGUA lanemate Andrew, who was killed in the 9/11 attacks--my last memories of him were of tossing the football around and hanging out after a beach race scarcely a week before the towers fell. I always try to approach my swimming with a sense of gratitudefor being here, for being healthy, for being fortunate enough to have the opportunity and means to participate in a sport I loveand that sense was deepened by the reminder that not everyone has been so lucky.

I was glad when I was finally on a train and heading out to the beach, and even felt a strange sense of affection for my fellow subway riders who were simply going about their business of doing whatever it was that required being on the subway so early on a Sunday morning. And I was interrupted from too much brooding by a text from my friend Rondi. She was also headed out to the race on a D train, and for the second day in a row I swapped messages back and forth with someone while heading out to Coney Island, trying to determine if we were on the same train. (Theres no reception while in the tunnels, so inevitably you get someones message that Im now on the bridge only when youve surfaced and are on the bridge, by which time . . . well, you get the picture). Turned out she was on a train ahead of me, but I was cheered up swapping messages and playing wwf with her once the trains surfaced again in Brooklyn. By the time I was nearing Coney Island, I was happy and looking forward to seeing and sharing the day with so many friends and fellow swimmers.

As I neared the race headquarters at the Aquarium I saw some swimmers hanging around outsidestopped to chat a bit, then headed inside to check in and get numbered. Yesterdays race was quite smalljust 16 swimmersso there were more volunteers than swimmers about. Usually I ask for a smiley-face in or around my race number from whomever is marking me, but yesterday the markers had plenty of time and creativity to really jazz things up:

8 is for Octopus

(My other arm featured an 8-turned-alien, and I had tri-color snowmen on both sides of my cap.)

The race was designed to be either a 5K or 10Kswimmers had the choice of swimming one or two loops. We were asked which we were doing when we checked, but were allowed to change our minds mid-course if we wanted. I signed up for the 10K at check-inI was hoping to swim that distance, but was prepared to be happy with whatever the ocean would allow mewith OW you never know what conditions might be like and how youll react to them. I hung out for a bit chatting, put on sunscreen (and got teased for my optimism, given the weather), did my inhalers, lubed up, and hung around some more before it was time to head outside to the beach.

It was chilly standing around with just our suits on, and I huddled up with some others while awaiting the start. Drops of water were hitting us, and there was a brief discussion about whether it was rain or just ocean being blown at us by the wind. (It was rain). Out in the distance you could see a distinct line between brown and blue waterthe former being the sediment plume that had cancelled the Governors Island swim the day before. Conditions didnt look real promisingduring the pre-race meeting we had been given instructions on what signals we would be given if we had to get out in case of lightning, which seemed like a real possibility.

The wait on the beach was mercifully shortsoon there was a countdown, and a whistle, and we were off and headed towards the pier. We were with the wind, so it was easy going, if a bit slow. It wasnt far to the turnaround buoy that marked the western end of the course. Once around it, I started heading back into the wind, and it became clear that the long backstretch of the swim was not going to be so easy.

There was considerable disorganized chop in this direction. It was hard to sightI could see the buoy that marked the start maybe 1 in 3 times I looked up, and I couldnt see the jetties at all unless I did breaststroke. The waves kept spinning me around, and I would find myself heading out away from shore, towards New Jersey. The jetskis that were patrolling the outside of the course had to keep telling me to head further in, and I kept trying to, but the water seemed to have different ideas about where I should be heading. (In retrospect, I realize that I was watching the jetski to see if they were still waving me in once I had passed by them, and that by looking behind me while breathing to my right I was probably throwing myself off course in that direction).

By the time I had gotten about mile from the pier I couldnt see any other swimmers, and no kayakers. This didnt worry meI know this course well, and swim it solo often, and knew as long as I could see the shoreline to my left when I breathed that way every now and then that I was heading the right way (the course runs parallel to shore). So I swam along for a while, trying out different technique strategies for dealing with the chop. I tried not to pick up my head to sight too often, since I knew that would eventually make my neck sore if I did it throughout the 10k, especially with the water knocking against me so unpredictably.

After about a mile a kayak came and paddled beside, and that made sighting unnecessary. (We had 10 kayakers who were sort of roving around the field of 16 swimmers.) After a bit she moved ahead of me and paddled beside another swimmer who was about 15 yards awayI hadnt seen him until she moved up beside him. I didnt really like having the kayak ahead of mecouldnt see it for sighting help, and was afraid I might run into itso I picked up my pace and passed that swimmer, at which point the kayak hung out with me again. It was a long tough swim up to the turn-around buoy at the eastern end of the course, but it was comforting to pass familiar landmarksI had a sense of making progress. And by this time I had settled down and was enjoying the swimming, appreciating the greenness of the water, and looking around and marveling, as I watched the kayaker struggle in the chop, that we were all out doing this on such a raw gray day. It seemed splendidly absurd.

Finally I got to the turnaround buoy. There was a boat nearby, and someone from it asked if I wanted some water. I didntI was holding out for the juice/water mixture that was one of my planned feeds. Once I found out it wasnt on the boat, I figured it was maybe on the kayak stationed at the races start point, and decided that I could wait til there, so I rounded the buoy and headed back towards the start. It was so much easier going in this direction! Suddenly I could sight easily, and the water just seemed to push me forward with every stroke. I had lost the kayaker again, but I didnt need one, and was happy just having it be me and the water as I swam along.

After a bit I began assessing how my body felt, and was a little nervous to sense that my arms and back were more fatigued than I was expecting them to beI still hadnt finished even one loop out of two! I was also a little nervous about finding my feeds, and what I would do if I didnt. But then I reminded myself of one of the most useful things Ive learned about OW swimming: discomforts (tiredness, muscle aches, hunger, cold, etc.) dont get progressively worse, as I often worry they will, but tend to ebb and flow as the swim goes along. Which is to say that things often get better by themselves, if you just keep swimming. So rather than extrapolate from my present fatigue, I decided to distract myself by playing around with my stroke a bit, and by watching the octopus and alien that were marked on my arm and imagining a race between them. As for the feeds, I knew if they werent at the start, that I could at least get some water there, and if I got really hungry I could eat the gel that Rondi had convinced me to tuck into my cap before the start.

After a bit I heard a jetski approaching. It was Jonathan, who had checked in on me at the turnaround buoy while I was asking about feeds. He hadnt known where they were then, but had gone and found my bottle (it had indeed been on the kayak near the start) and brought it to me. I took a few swigs and thanked him. Hurray!

I started swimming again, and very soon I noticed that the greenish, relatively clear water I had been swimming in abruptly changed to brown cloudy water. After a few strokes I also noticed that it had a sort of unpleasant chalky taste to it. Uh-ohI figured that the sediment-laden water we had seen offshore at the beginning of the race had moved in towards the beach and found us. (This was confirmed by the people onshore after the racethey watched as it moved in, and marveled at how distinct the boundary stayed as it moved along). I also ran into some leafy branches and other debris along here. On each armstroke I could still see my hands moving below the water, but definitely not as clearly as before. I hoped that on my second loop I would pass back through this boundary into clearer water again, but it was not to bethe rest of the race was swum in murky brown water.

Finally I got back to the start pointone loop down, one to go. Patty was there in her kayak offering feeds. I didnt want anything, but it occurred to me that my second feed was probably with her, and I decided to ask for it on the way back outit was a new feed that I was looking forward to trying out on this swim. I began my second loop by heading out towards the pier. Once I reached the buoy there I stopped for a few seconds to assess the current by seeing which way I was drifting relative to shore. As I suspected, it was going the way I had been swimming, so I was about to head back into it as well as into the chop.

As I turned around I remembered what had been so challenging about the first loopI had been lulled by swimming with the wind into thinking that conditions had improved dramatically. They were actually a little better the second time around, but I was also definitely more tired. I got to try my second feed on the way backthe fig-nutella-marshmallow pop is a keeper!but the rest of this portion was something of a slog. I did manage to stay in close to shoreless wandering around this time as I stayed in tight to the jetties.

Midway through this leg my left deltoid started feeling sore, so I worked on rotating more to my left (my non-breathing side, usually) and letting that elbow bend on the recovery rather than swinging my arm wide around. That helped. Midway through this leg another kayaker picked me up. He paddled on my left for awhile until I asked if we could change sides. He stayed with me for the rest of the race, which was nice. By the time I was mid-way through this leg I knew that I would finish the swim, and was glad of that, but I couldnt wait to get the turn-around point and have things become easy again.

And did become very easy once I rounded the buoy. I was so glad to be headed back to the aquarium for a final time, and I felt strong and grateful and joyful as I stroked along. Landmarks went bythe Y, Grimaldos chair, bathhouse, 1st big jetty, more jetties. I could see kite-surfers up aheadusually I would be nervous about swimming anywhere near them, but I knew with the race course being patrolled that they would probably be kept out of my way today. Finally I neared the buoy marking the finish. I stopped and did a couple of strokes of breaststroke to see exactly where I was expected to make landfall, thanked my paddler for kayaking with me, and headed on in. There were about 20 people shivering onshore cheering for me as I walked up the beach, and I decided that maybe I should jog it in since they were making such a fuss. Done! The 10K took me 3:19, and I was 4th out of 8 official finishers (the 8 other swimmers finished the 5K).

I chatted onshore for bit, went over to an adjacent bay to float around and watch the sky, then helped bring in a buoy (those anchors are heavy!) before heading in to a delicious CIBBOWS post-race feast. It was great to sit around and visit with fellow swimmers and talk about plans for the fall and next season. And at the awards I finally got a CIBBOWS baseball cap! I had been wanting one forever but always seemed to miss out by a place or two one way or the other. Now that I have swum a double loop and won a cap my summer seems complete!

Submit "Coney Island 10K" to Digg Submit "Coney Island 10K" to del.icio.us Submit "Coney Island 10K" to StumbleUpon Submit "Coney Island 10K" to Google

Updated September 12th, 2011 at 02:15 PM by swimsuit addict

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great swim and great report! Having just swum with you there on Saturday, I now know most of the landmarks you described.

Too bad about the weather; Saturday would have been a much better day it seems. But you also made the most of it. 3:19 for a 10k in the rough ocean with murk and who knows what else (I'd bet there were jellyfish). That is just a touch behind the guys who did the 10k pool swim back in June.
    Your powers of imagination and your sunny disposition are awesome --
    I decided to distract myself by playing around with my stroke a bit, and by watching the octopus and alien that were marked on my arm and imagining a race between them.
    Many times I read your deliciously detailed race reports and wish I were there in the water myself. Not so much on this report. My little kelp forest experience in my teeny-weeny mile race this weekend had nothing on this 10K of yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Saturday would have been a much better day it seems.
    Believe me, I thought that more than once during the swim! But dealing with whatever conditions you're given is all part of the fun, I guess!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Your powers of imagination and your sunny disposition are awesome --

Many times I read your deliciously detailed race reports and wish I were there in the water myself. Not so much on this report. My little kelp forest experience in my teeny-weeny mile race this weekend had nothing on this 10K of yours.
    Thanks! It was definitely distracting to imagine what a trash-talking octopus might say to an alien . . .

The kelp sounds pretty difficult--no idea if that would freak me out or not. I know the 5-foot critter swimming below would have though!
    Congratulations on another tough swim. You are just amazing. Anyone that can swim that many OW swims, I just and respect very much. OW is definitely its own game, and takes a different type of swimmer to be able to complete it.

Oh yes, and very nice storytelling again.
    Splendidly absurd indeed!

I like how you have backup plans for events. And then back ups for those that may go awry.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Congratulations on another tough swim. You are just amazing. Anyone that can swim that many OW swims, I just and respect very much. OW is definitely its own game, and takes a different type of swimmer to be able to complete it.

Oh yes, and very nice storytelling again.
    Thanks!
    Masters careers are long (with any luck), and there's plenty of opportunity to remake yourself into whatever type of swimmer you want to be--for me right now that's OW. It's amazing how bodies can adapt to whatever sort of training you throw at them!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Splendidly absurd indeed!

I like how you have backup plans for events. And then back ups for those that may go awry.
    Thanks!

The scary thing is that this wasn't a back-up swim for the Govenors Island race--I had planned to do them both!