View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Monday, Sept. 12

Rate this Entry
by , September 12th, 2011 at 06:07 PM (1804 Views)
Drylands:

RC exercises
assisted dips, 20 assist 1 x 8, 30 assist 2 x 12
Cavic horizontal cable raise, 20 x 3 x 25
(I took 26 strokes in my last 100 fly)
HS hi row, 90 x 3 x 20
"Leaper machine" -- don't know what this new machine at my gym is called. It's a squat machine, but with a flat surface to stand on and you can set the weight in 1 lb increments. I arbitrarily set it at 50 and did 2 x 15 squat jumps. Hard, but v cool way to do plyos. Was just trying it out today as I did plyos yesterday.
extreme angle iso squat w/15 DB, 5:00
extreme angle left lunge, 3:00*
extreme angle push up hold, 1:00
extreme angle bicep hold w/5 lb DBs, 3:00

* I am eliminating the extreme angle iso lunges. They are too tortuous and I dislike them. I'd rather substitute the extreme angle step ups with DBs, which I've done on many occasions and serve the same purpose of building eccentric strength.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

800 various

10 x 25 shooter on back

Speed Sets:

4 x 50 backstroke spin drill + cruise

50 EZ

3 x (5 x 50 @ 1:30)
1st set: free, 6/7/8/9/10 strokes fast + cruise
2nd set: dolphin kick on stomach, 9/10/11/12/13 kicks fast + cruise
3rd set: free, 6/7/8/9/10 strokes fast + cruise

50 EZ

8 x (25 fast + 25 EZ) @ 1:30
odds = fast hands breast
evens = fast doggy paddle

warmed down in hot tub for 10 min

Total: 2500

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Miscalculated. I should have left the drylands for Tuesday. I was really tired in the pool after a double yesterday and drylands today. Almost abandoned the workout and did a recovery swim, but was worried I might feel worst tomorrow. It actually felt a bit better as I went along. The 3 x (5 x 50) set is a favorite of Rich A.

I'm struggling to get into a routine, and I need one now that summer is over. And I would prefer one where the drylands wouldn't kill my speed in the pool. Looking at my flog, I did 4 dryland workouts and a couple days of parachute work in 8 days. Not consistent with my plan of doing 2 x weights + 1 core. I guess I've been happy to get back to the gym after that month of only swimming? And I feel like I might need a recovery week soon. If I take it next week, then I could hit it hard for 4 weeks and take a week off before the Sprint Classic.

Tentative plan for the week:

Monday: weights/speed
Tuesday: slow recovery swim/yoga
Wed: lactate set/stretch
Thursday: weights/plyos (can't go to my team practice b/c of Back to School night)
Friday: speed/yoga
Saturday: off
Sunday: team practice

Speedo -- want to meet on Friday?

Submit "Monday, Sept. 12" to Digg Submit "Monday, Sept. 12" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday, Sept. 12" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday, Sept. 12" to Google

Updated September 12th, 2011 at 08:19 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

I like your warm down - planning to use the same technique in a few minutes! haha
    I'd like to of course- let's touch base on Thursday. I've been out of the water for a week but Machine is starting so should get back to the grind soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    I like your warm down - planning to use the same technique in a few minutes! haha
    Yes, sometimes it's the best especially when you know you have a recovery workout the next day.

Speedo also does this after speed sets. Doesn't want his body to go slow after it's just gone fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    I'd like to of course- let's touch base on Thursday. I've been out of the water for a week but Machine is starting so should get back to the grind soon.
    I was worried you'd gone fishing again. But then I saw the pic of dau going to school.
    Weren't you doing more of the high row before? I'd swear you were lifting more than me, which then prompted me to increase
    It will be rough getting back with weights when I get back home on Wed...

I wish Kino had a hot tub, that would make a great warm-down!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Weren't you doing more of the high row before? I'd swear you were lifting more than me, which then prompted me to increase
    It will be rough getting back with weights when I get back home on Wed...

I wish Kino had a hot tub, that would make a great warm-down!
    I was doing a lot more (180 max I think), but with very few reps. I'm in a conditioning phase in the weight room for the upper body. Unlike you, I don't get that many reps in the pool, and am theorizing that I need more in the weight room. Of course, I could be dead wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Of course, I could be dead wrong.
    You are exactly dead wrong. I shouldn't have to tell you that strength training isn't strength training if it's also something-else training, but I know how much you love articles:

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1403
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    You are exactly dead wrong. I shouldn't have to tell you that strength training isn't strength training if it's also something-else training, but I know how much you love articles:

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1403
    Hmm ... that article sounds like it was written by you! Thanks Jazz.

A couple points. I'm not sure "maximal strength" is required for swimming. The guy depicted is a little too buff for swimming. But even if it is, he noted that you could get that from even body weight exercises, not just heavy weights. He most criticizes people who treat weights like endurance events, and I don't do that. I usually take a lot of rest between sets at the gym.

If you were going to design my dryland program, would you just have me do 3-4 lifts each session and nothing else? No plyos or other things? Perhaps that is something to try one season as well. And how long do you consider a "season"? Does August-December or January-May suffice?