View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

I'm No Dara, Tuesday, Sept. 13

Rate this Entry
by , September 13th, 2011 at 10:51 PM (2624 Views)
Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

9 x 50
3 x single arm fly/single arm back/SSR drill

3 x (10 x 25 back shooters w/MF @ :30)

200 EZ

5 x 100 IM drill @ 2:00

100 EZ

Total: 2600

Stretching & Foam Roller, 30 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I must be getting old. I can't even do two days in a row of drylands without feeling hammered. I was very sore today and so just did the scheduled recovery workout. I'm not sure whether to work through it or take a recovery week wrt weights right now, but I'm inclined to do the latter. And I'll probably shift my lactate workout from tomorrow until Friday depending on how I feel tomorrow.

Seems like I frequently get overzealous wrt drylands. Will I ever learn? I expect to be sore, but it's not particularly smart to do them back to back. Is it impossible for a master's body to adjust to that?

I'm also pretty sure the high rep lower weight upper body exercises are harder for me than the low rep higher weight ones I was doing last season. Shoulders feel more fatigued.

On other news, Fort Son seems happy and starts freshman week orientation tomorrow. He's probably ready for the year to start since he's been on campus since his freshman trip ended Sept 8. My girls have started their fall sports. My skinny sprouting Lil Fort is doing cross country for the first time, and reports loving to run in the woods. She was also all smiles after her first swim team workout yesterday. Mini Fort is swimming and erging this fall to prep for high school swimming and winter crew training.

Here's another swimming dryland that Q and Jazz can mull over: http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...st-Progression

Submit "I'm No Dara, Tuesday, Sept. 13" to Digg Submit "I'm No Dara, Tuesday, Sept. 13" to del.icio.us Submit "I'm No Dara, Tuesday, Sept. 13" to StumbleUpon Submit "I'm No Dara, Tuesday, Sept. 13" to Google

Updated September 14th, 2011 at 12:28 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    That is the art of training! I understand what you are saying. And it is frustrating that in those days of miscalculating, it seems you then have to take twice as long to recover. I think the recovery is more important. Nothing to base that on, but if recover vs. train through is the debate, and each one has a 50/50 chance, jeez, i'd take recovery any day!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    That is the art of training! I understand what you are saying. And it is frustrating that in those days of miscalculating, it seems you then have to take twice as long to recover. I think the recovery is more important. Nothing to base that on, but if recover vs. train through is the debate, and each one has a 50/50 chance, jeez, i'd take recovery any day!!!
    I am annoyed with myself for that miscalculation. I blame it partly on not having gotten into a good routine yet. With my kids back in school now and my traveling about over for awhile, that should be easier.

I like to train. But I think sprinters can become more easily over-trained. That is one reason I always rest for meets -- it gives my body a much needed break from drylands. (And I don't enjoy swimming in meets sore and tired.) I feel like drylands are critical to my swimming, but it's difficult to know how far to push. I guess I just got one answer to that ...
    I also find high rep weights more taxing. For sure. It's like a lactate set vs a 15m Sprint IMO. They hurt and I think that's normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    I also find high rep weights more taxing. For sure. It's like a lactate set vs a 15m Sprint IMO. They hurt and I think that's normal.
    How long was the conditioning part of the Lezak program when you were doing it? What effect did it have on your ability to do speed & lactate sets? Are you glad you're not doing it anymore?
    1. That is a very skinny "strength coach."
    2. "Sport specific plyometric move" = no ****ing way
    3. Strength training isn't a contest to see who can look like the biggest idiot. If you find a new strength training movement and can't identify what traditional exercises it effectively substitutes for, don't waste time on it.
    Updated September 14th, 2011 at 06:59 AM by Jazz Hands
    Hahahaha! Running in the woods is the best! Sarah was a woods runner often known to be in 5th or 6th place heading into the woods but always coming out in the lead! (in middle school at least) If the course didn't have a woods she was doomed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    How long was the conditioning part of the Lezak program when you were doing it? What effect did it have on your ability to do speed & lactate sets? Are you glad you're not doing it anymore?
    The initial endurance period was suggested to be 4 weeks, I believe. I did that part the first few times I did the program since I was "new again" to weights and was concerned about acute injury. I made it 1-2 weeks after that and for the current routine I went straight to 8 reps.

Not sure what effect it had on performance since I was doing it for safety. I find it hard to notice anything other than the degree of fatigue in the water with any of the periodization components.

I actually just finished a few weeks of 20 rep sets- I'm glad I did because I had been doing 8 and 6 rep sets for a while and I'd sort of settled in. Going to 20 reps hurt like hell compared to the lower rep sets, but got more used to it after the 2nd week. Back to 6 reps this week and next.
    I actually just finished a few weeks of 20 rep sets- I'm glad I did because I had been doing 8 and 6 rep sets for a while and I'd sort of settled in. Going to 20 reps hurt like hell compared to the lower rep sets, but got more used to it after the 2nd week. Back to 6 reps this week and next.
    What was your rationale for going up to 20 reps and then back down to 6?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Hahahaha! Running in the woods is the best! Sarah was a woods runner often known to be in 5th or 6th place heading into the woods but always coming out in the lead! (in middle school at least) If the course didn't have a woods she was doomed!
    I think Lil Fort was entranced by it as compared to running along the road in the few 5Ks she's done. I can understand the allure!
    What was your rationale for going up to 20 reps and then back down to 6?
    That doing a set that lasts approximately 21 seconds would not be detrimental to training for the 50 free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    1. That is a very skinny "strength coach."
    2. "Sport specific plyometric move" = no ****ing way
    3. Strength training isn't a contest to see who can look like the biggest idiot. If you find a new strength training movement and can't identify what traditional exercises it effectively substitutes for, don't waste time on it.
    I knew that would irk you!

I thought you said squat jumps were pretty sport specific to flip turns in swimming?

It seems that strength training for swimming can depart from trad training with some coaches. I'd like to know what Lochte is really doing besides throwing kegs around.
    That doing a set that lasts approximately 21 seconds would not be detrimental to training for the 50 free.
    Hmm ... if that's why you went up to 20 reps, why did you go back down to 6? And will you go up again?
    Hmm ... if that's why you went up to 20 reps, why did you go back down to 6? And will you go up again?
    I see it as akin to swimming a 50 free for time in practice vs. the 10m sprints. I like the 10m sprints in the pool for the 50, and similarly I like the 6 reps in weights. But I also like to change it up. Yes, I might go back up for a few weeks between now and December but it's not really a focus at all- I don't see it as detrimental either.
    Seems like I frequently get overzealous wrt drylands. Will I ever learn?
    No

Here's another swimming dryland that Q and Jazz can mull over
    I don't always agree what he says, but frequently there are good ideas that are obscured by bad explanations. Experimentation in the field of upper body plyometrics seems like a necessity at this point (lower body plyo seems more mature), even if it results in people looking like idiots doing hip thrust inverted rows. There are probably better ways to lighten the load of the inverted row so it can be done explosively.

I don't really have an opinion on inverted rows being beneficial to swimmers.
    I can add very little to the various debates here except that I thought it was conventional 'wisdom' not to do drylands two days in a row?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I can add very little to the various debates here except that I thought it was conventional 'wisdom' not to do drylands two days in a row?
    It probably is for masters swimmers if one wants to swim at a high level during practice.

The TRX apparently took more out of me than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    No
    If I just eliminated weights altogether, I wouldn't have to worry about which days are best to do them and risk cramming them in when I shouldn't. One season I want to experiment with just doing TRX or plyos for drylands. And if I limited what I was doing, there wouldn't be as much chance to overdo.
    One season I want to experiment with just doing TRX or plyos for drylands.
    I'd be interested in trying this as well.
    I'd be interested in trying this as well.
    Yep. They have the TRXs at Mason, if you want to try one sometime. I showed Cheryl a few exercises the other day.

One reason I overdo drylands is that the things I consider "fun" are not weights. I'm also curious if the TRX could replace weights and maintain adequate strength for swimming purposes. I know David Guthrie is using that for example. I'm pretty sold on the value of plyos for sprinters, so I'll always keep those. And like Q mentioned, it would be cool if the pool of upper body plylos increased.
    Updated September 14th, 2011 at 05:11 PM by The Fortress
    If I just eliminated weights altogether, I wouldn't have to worry about which days are best to do them and risk cramming them in when I shouldn't. One season I want to experiment with just doing TRX or plyos for drylands. And if I limited what I was doing, there wouldn't be as much chance to overdo.
    You are right, but weights isn't really the problem, it is your addiction to overdoing it. You will just substitute weights with something else. Didn't you just do back to back lactate workouts a couple days ago?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast