View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sept. 15-16

Rate this Entry
by , September 16th, 2011 at 07:46 PM (1341 Views)
Thursday:

Bikram, 90 minutes:

This was the first class since re-starting post-taper that I haven't felt like flying out of the room to grab more water or air. A comparatively easy class. My back seemed tighter than usual, but was probably from the lactate dolphin kick set.

Friday:

Swim/SCY/Solo @ Mason

Warm up:

700 various

10 x 25 shooters on back with fins

8 x 50 burst 15 + cruise
(2 free, 2 back, 4 dolphin)

Speed Sets:

4 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 150 EZ)
-- Didn't look at clock for intervals. Hit the hottub after the first two b/c I felt tight, then got back in.

#1 fly, 25
#2 fly, 25
#3 fly-back, low 26 (bad turn)
#4 breast, 31

-- Fly felt dreadful again -- very choppy and forced. But at least the flys were faster than I went last week.

4 x (25 AFAP + 75 cruise)
-- Did SDK on back from a push, no fins
-- Went 13s, pretty good. I noticed Ande went 11.2 from a dive. Maybe I'll try that sometime.

100 EZ

Total: 2650

15 minutes of tubbing

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are still no blocks up at Mason.

Still do not feel speedy. Well, my kick feels speedy but nothing else. Dolphin kick, the fifth stroke, has apparently become my best stroke. My fly feels particularly foreign. Hopefully, it will come around with more fast pace and easy speed work. (I haven't felt mentally or physically up to longer fly distances yet.) And I've only been at the speed work for a couple weeks. I resisted the urge to do parachute work.

I am also trying to resist the urge to make Fort Son feel guilty. One of my masters swimmer friends (and former secret nemesis) has a son rowing crew at another college. He skypes several times a week and texts her every day. I have yet to hear how orientation is going or whether he likes his roommate. No, wait, I did get one text asking if he could use his credit card for something. (rolls eyes)

Submit "Sept. 15-16" to Digg Submit "Sept. 15-16" to del.icio.us Submit "Sept. 15-16" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sept. 15-16" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Yoga

Comments

Nice speed workout! You hit all the sets I'm fond of. You'll feel much better next sprint workout. Positive about that.
    Still do not feel speedy.
    Isn't it like early season for you? I think speedy comes later on.

I resisted the urge to do parachute work.
    Amazing.

I am also trying to resist the urge to make Fort Son feel guilty.
    Just tell your son that he has to talk to you once a week when you call. Using guilt is a balancing act between ignorance and resentment, demands for attention will be more effective both short and long term. Also, it will introduce him to the concept that females need more attention on a regular basis than he thinks about naturally.

One of my masters swimmer friends (and former secret nemesis) has a son rowing crew at another college. He skypes several times a week and texts her every day.
    Good for her! Glad she sent her son off to college with while keeping his balls in a jar at home. The world needs more men whose lives are run by mom.

As usual, I skipped reading about your workout but see that you hit Speedo's favorites. Glad you had time for the hottub.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Good for her! Glad she sent her son off to college with while keeping his balls in a jar at home. The world needs more men whose lives are run by mom.
    Amen, brother.
    I hear ya Q. I'm not much of one for guilt. And he's extremely independent -- no balls cut off. Her deleted me from his FB friends over a year ago. A once a week call is probably pushing it with Fort Son.

It is early in the season, especially given my complete lack of speed work after Nationals for a long while. Still, I wish it felt better/smoother.
    Updated September 17th, 2011 at 02:17 AM by The Fortress
    I think it is great he asks you before using the credit card. The best part is he doesn't assume you are an unlimited piggy bank, nor does he feel immediately entitled to whatever it is he wanted to purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    I think it is great he asks you before using the credit card. The best part is he doesn't assume you are an unlimited piggy bank, nor does he feel immediately entitled to whatever it is he wanted to purchase.
    In contrast to my teenage daughter, he is a shockingly unmaterialistic teen. He went to college without a TV, ipod or camera. The credit card is only for emergencies or essentials (like serious winter clothing for his new climate). He has to ask before using it.