View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Tuesday, Sept. 20

Rate this Entry
by , September 20th, 2011 at 07:22 PM (2160 Views)
Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
6 x 50 fly drills
8 x 25 shooters w/MF

My Version of a 100 Fly Set:

15 x 100, done as:

5 x 100 broken shooters w/MF
-- all UW
-- broken 10 seconds at each 25
-- 3 @ 2:30, 2 @ 3:00
-- not easy

200 EZ

5 x (100 broken fly w/fins + 100 EZ)
-- only 6 SDK off walls
-- broken 10 seconds each 25
-- easy speed fly a bit slower than 100 pace
-- no interval, that wasn't the point
-- baby steps

200 EZ

5 x 100 free w/paddles @ 1:30

200 EZ

Total: 3700

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Was tired after yesterday's double, but not flattened. Felt good enough to get in some yards geared toward my 100 fly. Considered going to bikram late tonight, but I think I might be "overdoing," so just stretched instead.

I was very lucky to dodge a lanemate today since I swam during lunch hour. I think the MF discouraged some. One women had the gall to try to ask me about it on one of my precious 10 second breaks. Do they not see I am breathing hard and looking at the clock? I completely ignored her, really had no other choice.

It has been so long since I last did a real aerobic set (I usually get them in LCM over the summer), that I'm wondering if I have lost my ability to do one ... Though my heart rate was up on everything today. :-)

Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 20" to Digg Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 20" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 20" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 20" to Google

Updated September 20th, 2011 at 10:09 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Yoga

Comments

Do they not see I am breathing hard and looking at the clock?
    People do this to me at practice all the time, so no, I don't think people really comprehend what is going on, even when they are participants in what is going on.

I am kinda excited to use fins more often swimming this year. It only took too years of glossing over your sets to realize it might be important.

No one armed fly drill?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    People do this to me at practice all the time, so no, I don't think people really comprehend what is going on, even when they are participants in what is going on.

I am kinda excited to use fins more often swimming this year. It only took too years of glossing over your sets to realize it might be important.

No one armed fly drill?
    Then they're idiots.

Even PWB did a USAS 2400 fin set, as you saw.

6 x 50 in warm up were single arm. I think I'm going to do more of the broken 100s like I did today and variations thereof. I'm not swimming any backstroke at NE Champs, my taper meet, so I may focus on fly more this fall. Unless my shoulder b*tches at me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Then they're idiots.
    Jazz, give Fort her account back.

I like to think that I am just that appealing to talk to at 5am. My teammates know I can be a workout nazi and don't hold it against me when I push off in the middle of a conversation.

Even PWB did a USAS 2400 fin set, as you saw.
    I probably glossed over it.

6 x 50 in warm up were single arm. I think I'm going to do more of the broken 100s like I did today and variations thereof. I'm not swimming any backstroke at NE Champs, my taper meet, so I may focus on fly more this fall. Unless my shoulder b*tches at me.
    Cool. Do you ever do single arm fly fast or always at drill speed?
    If it were Jazz, he would have said they were f***ing idiots.

I've done single arm fly fast in the past, but not in ages. May need to re-try.

I glossed over how to multi-quote.
    I
    Uh-oh
    glossed
    Here we go
    over
    again... someone's
    how
    probably
    to
    going to
    multi-quote.
    (╯□)╯︵ ʎnb ʇɐɥʇ
    Have u seen info for NE Champs
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Have u seen info for NE Champs
    No event order is up yet. But it's Dec. 9-11.

Since I'm not swimming back, I can avoid the usual fly-back too close together problem!
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy

(╯□)╯︵ ʎnb ʇɐɥʇ
    Silly boy! What does that say after the that guy part?
    ǝɹǝɥ dןǝɥ ǝןʇʇıן ˙˙˙ɥn
    Sept - Nov are my heavy aerobic months if you are interested in a set or two.
    Fort, how do you chose between many shooters and doing no-equipment swimming; ie, you did all 15 x 100's with MF, right? Is it because of your shoulder/arms, or because you actively chose to do most things with fins? I find over the last several weeks that i've done less plain-swimming, but within an hour, you are having to make a choice and something just isn't done as much as something else. It's not like we have 2 x 2.5 hour water workouts per day where we do a lot of everything....
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    Sept - Nov are my heavy aerobic months if you are interested in a set or two.
    Honestly, I think it's harder to do hard aerobic sets OYO.
    ˙sıɥʇ ɥʇıʍ ǝǝɹbɐ ı
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Fort, how do you chose between many shooters and doing no-equipment swimming; ie, you did all 15 x 100's with MF, right? Is it because of your shoulder/arms, or because you actively chose to do most things with fins? I find over the last several weeks that i've done less plain-swimming, but within an hour, you are having to make a choice and something just isn't done as much as something else. It's not like we have 2 x 2.5 hour water workouts per day where we do a lot of everything....
    In a typical workout, I may be in the pool 75-80 minutes. My intervals are much slower than typical and I tend to rest more for max efforts, so need a bit more time. Because I swim alone mostly, I can do whatever I want!

I use fins for some things (fly, long free set) because of my shoulders. But typically I actively choose to use fins. Two main reasons: the above race pace work I do with them makes me fast and they are great for leg strengthening/streamlining. (I can leg press almost 3x my weight 1RM.) Such a high % of my races are kicking that this is critical. Most masters swimmers are so caught up in the "cheating" mindset that they don't realize fins may make them faster. Their loss. I think I've proved that they can work, at least for my events. And, aside from an occasional twang, my shoulders have been pretty solid for years. I've read that David Berkoff used fins all the time.

The 15 x 100 set was done 1-5 kick UW with MF, 6-10 swim fly with fins and 11-15 swim free with paddles (shoulder strengthening). I don't like swimming fly with the MF; I use it just for kicking.

I was trying to make the kick set a hypoxic set mimicing the 100 fly. I couldn't do shooters with 10 seconds rest if I didn't use the MF (too hard). But I'll probably do the same set without the MF sometime and just go to 15 meters. Both sets are useful, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    ˙sıɥʇ ɥʇıʍ ǝǝɹbɐ ı
    ʞɔɐq ɹnoʎ ɟɟo ʇəƃ
    Sprinter vs mid-d difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    ʞɔɐq ɹnoʎ ɟɟo ʇəƃ
    I was wondering how long he was going to nap.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain;
    Sprinter vs mid-d difference?
    Probably. I'm so used to a diet of anaerobic work. It would be mentally as well as physically challenging to do a hard aerobic short rest set solo. Which is why you've never seen one on my blog. And when you stay under like I do, that makes the hard breathing result worse. It's hard to do a lactate or best average set when you're UW as well.
    I was wondering how long he was going to nap.
    sǝıןıɯs uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɥʇ ǝɹɐ ǝɹǝɥʍ ˙ʇooq oʇ spuoɔǝs ʇɥbıǝ ʎq ǝɯıʇ ʇsǝq ʎɯ ʇɐǝq ı puɐ buıddɐu ǝʞıן ןןɐ ʇɐ buıɥʇou sɐʍ buıuɹoɯ sıɥʇ ǝʞoɹʇsʞɔɐq 0001 ʎɯ 'ʍou ʎǝɥ
    Updated September 21st, 2011 at 02:15 PM by That Guy