View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Block Bliss, Friday, Sept. 23

Rate this Entry
by , September 23rd, 2011 at 05:45 PM (1217 Views)
Swim/SCY/Solo @ Mason:

-- The blocks were in at Mason, , so I threw out my planned workout and did fast race pace swims off the blocks. I was so anxious that I had to force myself to warm up first!

Warm up:

600 various
4 x 50 single arm fly
8 x 25 shooters w/fins
4 x 50 burst 15 + cruise (2 free, 2 dolphin)
50 EZ

Speed Work:

6 x 25 fly off the blocks @ 100 pace + 25 cruise back
-- working on # kicks to the 15 & breakouts
-- 11-12 kicks is safest for 100 pace depending on depth of start
-- took my time on these

100 EZ

2 x 25 AFAP backstroke from blocks
-- high 13, 14
-- cramped on 2nd one
-- 25 EZ after each and float around
-- not as fond of backstroke starts in practice b/c my feet are in a different position than at meets (toes above gutter so I don't slip)

100 EZ

2 x 50 fast from blocks + 200 EZ
-- did fly-back
-- went mid-high 29 on first one @ 100 IM pace
-- second one Coach Cheryl (who was working out in the next lane) joined me. I went low 29 and she went high 29. Though she rarely competes, she is very speedy.

3 x 50 off blocks
-- breaststroke start + cruise back
-- legs tired, so decided to stop starts

50 EZ

8 x 25 free w/paddles & parachute
-- Coach Cheryl also tried the parachute and like it b/c it forced her to sprint to avoid sinking.

100 EZ

Total: 2850

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No, I did not use fins from the block! Though I have seen USAS teams do this. I was pretty happy with my efforts. As I recall, I took my last 100 IM out in 28.7, so this was a good practice time with a regular suit. I may drag out my B70 and use that off the blocks next week. From now on, everything on Friday is off the blocks + mega rest. So psyched!

I did all my starts today "race club style," i.e., like the one adopted successfully by Water Rat at Auburn. To my surprise, despite the slingshot, I was getting through the hole very well until the end. I'm just not sure if the arms swooping from the side thing makes me slower off the blocks. Will try my usual start next week to compare.

I'm liking my schedule the last two weeks:
M = speed + weights
T = aerobic + hypoxic
W = lactate
Th = weights
F = speed
-- The only flaw was not getting yoga in so far.
I want to get one team practice and one bikram session in this weekend.

My only slight peeve of the day was that after getting an amazing unprecedented night's sleep on Wed., I slept not a wink last night. Just tossed and turned. No idea what happened there.

Submit "Block Bliss, Friday, Sept. 23" to Digg Submit "Block Bliss, Friday, Sept. 23" to del.icio.us Submit "Block Bliss, Friday, Sept. 23" to StumbleUpon Submit "Block Bliss, Friday, Sept. 23" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I'll have to familiarize myself with the race club style start. Any links to videos?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I'll have to familiarize myself with the race club style start. Any links to videos?
    Couldn't find a video quickly. But here is a RC article describing it: http://www.theraceclub.net/swim-tips...art/#more-1742
    Here's some support from Longhorn land for bikram -- http://www.texassports.com/allaccess/?media=265349.
    Here's some support from Longhorn land for bikram -- http://www.texassports.com/allaccess/?media=265349.
    Yes!

It's nice to have some support for what I've instinctively thought was great for swimming.
    I learned it when I was there this summer. It works best when you have a deep block and handles (see Fort's picture here). Ideally you have the FINA blocks that have a place to rest your back foot. Track start style. Grab handles (or front of the block). Rock way back. Beeper. Pull your body forward with your hands until they are at your waste. Head up and forward like you're flying, arms at your side. Then drop your head, and arms behind your ears. I swear it really rockets you forward. You'll really feel it once you hit the water. You probalby won't have a stellar "reaction time" but I swear you more than make up for it when it counts.
    Your reaction time looked very fast on your 50 free at Auburn!