View RSS Feed

Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic

Break out the Swiffer

Rate this Entry
...Because I'm dusting off the old blog. I'm not certain I'll actually get to use this often, as I still have a 2-hour (each way) commute to work, and no smart technology to access the internet while on that commute. However, I have some things I want to update:

1) As of yesterday, I got my first individual top ten time! My 400IM at Middlebury, where my strategy was "don't DQ" eked me in at #10. I was understandably ecstatic, as you might have noticed on my forum post over there. I would say that I'm going for #9 next year, but I have a distinct memory of my only thought upon finishing that race which was, "I am never doing this again."

2) Speaking of torture, I set a goal for myself to complete each event once in competition before I age up in January 2013. That means I need to do 200 fly sometime in the next year. I'm still not really sure how to do butterfly, so that's an adventure I'd like to blog.

3) I've also got an inkling to see if I can qualify for Nationals. Basically, that will mean taking the gains I've made in the past four years, and doubling them before the spring. YIKES! My main focus is on the 200 free. The qualifying time is 2:14.52. My personal best is 2:29.84, set in May 2011. The first time I swam it, in 2008, I went 2:59.70. Drop 30 seconds in 3 years and 15 seconds in 1 year? Is that even possible?

4) Well, there was a setback to that... I went to the Leatherstocking Meet in Oneonta last weekend, and posted a 2:36.61 in the 200. That was a disheartening setback, especially because it felt like a good, but not great, race. However, I was tired after the 100IM (that WAS a PR by 2 seconds), my swimsuit was all kinds of stretched out, and it was my first race in months. I didn't have a lot of rest before the event, because dozens of people didn't show up to the meet because of the freak snowstorm. (I climbed over a tree blocking my door to get there, dammit! That's the kind of dedication I have! Also, a swim meet seemed like more fun than sitting in an apartment with no power or internet.)

5) Now I need a plan. I want to shed those 15 (20) seconds. But I'm really tired all the time. Oh, also, I started substitute coaching the 8 & unders at a club team. They are SO CUTE! But that takes up some of my free time, and could contribute to the tired. But the plan, what should be my plan? I've taken notes on Ande's Swim faster faster, I've talked to my coach & my workout buddy a little, and I'm trying to do my best to hang on in practice and tail my lane leaders, who can handily swim the QT for nationals. I thought dusting off the old blog might help a little, as far as keeping myself accountable and researching my own progress. Also, I need to keep reading yours, because I'm in need of workout inspiration for FISH.

How have you been?

Submit "Break out the Swiffer" to Digg Submit "Break out the Swiffer" to del.icio.us Submit "Break out the Swiffer" to StumbleUpon Submit "Break out the Swiffer" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Qualifying for nationals is a good goal! And the most useful part of blogs are the self diagnostic. Maybe you should think about a smart phone.
    Welcome back. You write:
    I've also got an inkling to see if I can qualify for Nationals. Basically, that will mean taking the gains I've made in the past four years, and doubling them before the spring. YIKES! My main focus is on the 200 free. The qualifying time is 2:14.52.
    You didn't specify SCY or LCM nationals, but based on that time and your gender, it has to be SCY. I see that the NQT in 200 free was 2:14.52 for 2011 for W30-34. Here is some good news. For next spring Nationals, 2012, it is 2:15.28 for W30-34. If that's you, you only need to drop 14.56 s, not 15.32. Is that possible for you? I have no idea, but I have some comments.

1) Are you sure your best shot in the 200 free? You can check out the other Q times here: http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats12/nqt.pdf

2) For me, I find the LCM NQTs a little softer than the SCY NQTs. There are probably several factors; my turns may be poorer than average and I may be a generally better long course swimmer than short course swimmer, but I think most people will find the same to be true since fewer people compete in the LCM meets so the standards don't get set as high.

3) In training for the 200 I have found sets like:

4x[
    4x(50 at 200 pace with :10 rest between 50s)
    200 active recovery]

to be really valuable training. This set allows me to actually swim at the 200 pace and get a feel for what the arm speed is like, what the kick is like, how fast the walls come up, etc. If I can complete this set and hit my target 200 pace on the 50s, I can typically swim a 200 at that pace in a meet.

4) Ande's SFF tips are fantastic.
    Updated November 4th, 2011 at 07:24 PM by Karl_S
    That means I need to do 200 fly sometime in the next year.
    I'd make sure the 2fly is scy! Haha

Congrats on making a TT!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Qualifying for nationals is a good goal! And the most useful part of blogs are the self diagnostic. Maybe you should think about a smart phone.
    Oh, I think about a smart phone a lot. The iPhone 4S is holding on to my heart right now. But I'm budgeted to the hilt at the moment, and tied to my old phone for at least a few more months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Welcome back. You write:

You didn't specify SCY or LCM nationals, but based on that time and your gender, it has to be SCY. I see that the NQT in 200 free was 2:14.52 for 2011 for W30-34. Here is some good news. For next spring Nationals, 2012, it is 2:15.28 for W30-34. If that's you, you only need to drop 14.56 s, not 15.32. Is that possible for you? I have no idea, but I have some comments.

1) Are you sure your best shot in the 200 free? You can check out the other Q times here: http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats12/nqt.pdf

2) For me, I find the LCM NQTs a little softer than the SCY NQTs. There are probably several factors; my turns may be poorer than average and I may be a generally better long course swimmer than short course swimmer, but I think most people will find the same to be true since fewer people compete in the LCM meets so the standards don't get set as high.

3) In training for the 200 I have found sets like:

4x[
    4x(50 at 200 pace with :10 rest between 50s)
    200 active recovery]

to be really valuable training. This set allows me to actually swim at the 200 pace and get a feel for what the arm speed is like, what the kick is like, how fast the walls come up, etc. If I can complete this set and hit my target 200 pace on the 50s, I can typically swim a 200 at that pace in a meet.

4) Ande's SFF tips are fantastic.
    I should have made it clear that yes, it is the SCY meet I'm thinking about. I'd also love to go to LCM, especially this year being so exciting, but North Carolina just that much easier for me to get to than Nebraska.

Also, I think I was looking at the old QT sheet, so yay for having to drop one less second! I'll try that set above sometime soon, it looks similar to where I've been going.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    I'd make sure the 2fly is scy! Haha

Congrats on making a TT!
    Thanks! I almost want my 2fly to be a LCM meet... fewer walls makes it seem not so bad!
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmerb212
    Oh, I think about a smart phone a lot. The iPhone 4S is holding on to my heart right now. But I'm budgeted to the hilt at the moment, and tied to my old phone for at least a few more months.
    Yeah, you definitely have to wait until you're due for an upgrade or can become a new customer to reduce the high price tag!