View RSS Feed

Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic

Toast

Rate this Entry
I've had a pool-centric weekend. Lifeguarding at the middle school, coaching the kiddies, got a swim in, and today I got a swim in, and I'm on the way to teach a swim lesson.

This is what I swam yesterday afternoon at Vassar:

1000 warm-up:
4x25 swim
4x50 rev. IM order
4x75 kick, drill, swim, IMO
4x100 on 2:00

3x125 (75 IMO +50 free) (25 recover)
3x100 (50 IMO + 50 free)
3x75 (25 IMO + 50 free) (25 recover)
3x75 (25 IMO + 25 free)

3x100 @ 1:45
3x100 @ 1:35
3x100 @ 3:00 (made it on 1:21, 1:20, 1:22)

3x100 kick: 50 fly, 50 flutter

300 breathe every 3
200 breathe every 2
100 breathe every 7

100 play

I had 3 important goals for this workout:

1) figure out the fly. I have the kind of stroke where I pause and glide at the top of the stroke, and I'm trying to teach myself not to let my hands stop there. I can make it work on one or two strokes, especially if I don't breathe. I think it works best when I can change the timing of my kick. But sometimes my hands just slip through the water.

2) making those 100's as fast as possible, which I decided would take extra rest. I was happy that I got all those 100's in under 1:30, and in under 1:25 when I really cooked them. Eventually, I'd like to see if I can do that without the extra rest.

3) Alternate side breathing! I'm starting to feel some issues with my right shoulder, and I chaffed my neck on the 1650 last weekend after mostly breathing on my right. I took the last 600 of the workout as slow as I could to keep myself from cheating.

Earlier today, I swam 2000 over at the CIA. The pool was over 80 degrees and I was falling way behind on my turns, so me and my swim buddy stopped the written workout, and focused on some turning drills. I think I might have had a small breakthrough by getting my feet lower on the wall so I can push off deeper in the water. I can't wait to see if it works in practice!

Off to teach some eight-year-olds how to do legal breaststroke!

Submit "Toast" to Digg Submit "Toast" to del.icio.us Submit "Toast" to StumbleUpon Submit "Toast" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

My preferred mode of fly sounds a lot like yours--very glidy, with a pause at the top of the stroke. When I want to work on doing a faster fly I (1) make my entry much wider, significantly outside my shoulders, and (2) make my pulls very shallow, and (3) switch from every-stroke-breathing to every other stroke. That helps me establish a faster rhythm with minimal gliding, and from there I can experiment with making the catch a little narrower and the pull a little deeper until I find what's optimal. Just a suggestion!

I like your IM set--might steal it tomorrow!
    Updated November 6th, 2011 at 07:45 PM by swimsuit addict
    I love gliding. I've also come to realize that's also my #1 teaching technique to the kiddies.

If I can get the fast stroke down, that will be nice to add to the repertoire for sprints and keep the gliding for anything 50 yards or longer. I hope you enjoy the IM set! I think that's a keeper for another time.