View RSS Feed

Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic

Give me a foot, and I'll go a mile

Rate this Entry
I swam at the Tarrytown YMCA today, I think the water was about 82 degrees. They had been doing so well keeping it cool this summer. That, combined with a sort of overwhelming malaise Ive had recently led me to do a more technical and restful swim:

4x25 free
4x50 rev. IM

4x75 kick, drill, swim IMO

4x100 @2:00

50 kick, 100 swim, 200 broken IM, 300 pull breathe 3,5,7,3,5,7

50 kick, 100 swim, 200 broken IM

50 kick, 100 swim

50 kick

10x50 (these I went all out)

4 @ :50 r:30 (made it on :45)

3 @ :45 r:30 (made it on :40, :43, :45)

2 @ :40 r:1:00 (made it on :36, :45)

1 @ :35 (made it on :37)

300 work the turns & swim down

The best thing about todays practice was working my new flip turn. I get such a better push off the wall just by dropping my feet down a few inches. That little bit of extra tuck gives me so much power, and Im looking forward to giving it a go at team practice tomorrow, where I usually get left in the dust at the walls.

Another thing Ive been giving some thought to lately is eating, and I dont mean in the way that I think about eating all the time. I am trying to come up with a better post-workout plan. First breakfast, the before swim one, is usually oatmeal or cereal. I would like to cut out the cereal, but there are a lot of mornings where I just cant stand to eat a hot breakfast, or do anything more intense than adding milk to a bowl. After practice, Ive been eating a bar of some sort or another. But those make me really sick to my stomach, and thats across the board: Cliff, Granola, Nutri-Grain. So I throw it to the group: anyone have a good on-the-go snack thats refreshing and somewhat good for you? Do I need to work smoothies or something like that into the mix? And is there a way to do that for the blender-cleaning adverse?

Submit "Give me a foot, and I'll go a mile" to Digg Submit "Give me a foot, and I'll go a mile" to del.icio.us Submit "Give me a foot, and I'll go a mile" to StumbleUpon Submit "Give me a foot, and I'll go a mile" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I drink chocolate milk after every practice. I started doing this after a nutritionist said that it had the right blend of protein and carbohydrates for recovery. Not sure that's what you are looking for since it really isn't a snack, but I thought I'd throw it out there since it seems to have made a big difference for me in how I feel at the next day's practice.
    Chocolate milk is good, though I can't tolerate milk well.

I am a smoothie addict and have one for breakfast every morning throwing in hemp, flax seeds, chia seeds, etc. in with the fresh and frozen fruit. Use coconut water to blend. Fruit is good post workout too, though it's good to have some protein as well. I usually have a recovery drink with the 4:1 carbs to protein ratio right after I get out of the pool. It might be easier to digest a drink like that rather than eat a bar.
    I drink vanilla-flavored milk after workout. I freeze those little kiddie-sized-with-attached-straw boxes, and they're still a little icy after sitting in my bag in a hot pool or locker room.
    Sometimes I'll eat an apple or banana or a fruit puree packet if I run out of milk. The little packets travel well, and don't bruise like fruit will if they're jostled around in your bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbs
    I drink chocolate milk after every practice. I started doing this after a nutritionist said that it had the right blend of protein and carbohydrates for recovery. Not sure that's what you are looking for since it really isn't a snack, but I thought I'd throw it out there since it seems to have made a big difference for me in how I feel at the next day's practice.
    I've always been decidedly anti-milk, but it might be worth a shot again, and I can see if I've grown to tolerate it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Chocolate milk is good, though I can't tolerate milk well.

I am a smoothie addict and have one for breakfast every morning throwing in hemp, flax seeds, chia seeds, etc. in with the fresh and frozen fruit. Use coconut water to blend. Fruit is good post workout too, though it's good to have some protein as well. I usually have a recovery drink with the 4:1 carbs to protein ratio right after I get out of the pool. It might be easier to digest a drink like that rather than eat a bar.
    I feel like the smoothie/shake route is the right one. But how far ahead of time can you make it? I'm a morning swimmer, and on the Tarrytown days, I leave the house at 5am to catch the train. Does blending the night before work?
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    I drink vanilla-flavored milk after workout. I freeze those little kiddie-sized-with-attached-straw boxes, and they're still a little icy after sitting in my bag in a hot pool or locker room.
    Sometimes I'll eat an apple or banana or a fruit puree packet if I run out of milk. The little packets travel well, and don't bruise like fruit will if they're jostled around in your bag.
    If there's anything I avoid more than milk, it's bananas! The smell of them makes me gag, and I've really tried to like them. (Although I can tolerate them quite fine as an ingredient in bread or smoothies.)

Do you make the fruit puree packet, or is that available for purchase somewhere? I'd ideally like to make a big batch of something and have it available all week.

Also, I'm going to try some of these ideas: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=15485"]Best post-workout recovery meal? - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame] I'm especially drawn to comment #10: cottage cheese, tomatoes, lime juice and habanero sauce.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmerb212
    I feel like the smoothie/shake route is the right one. But how far ahead of time can you make it? I'm a morning swimmer, and on the Tarrytown days, I leave the house at 5am to catch the train. Does blending the night before work?
    No, can't do it the night before ... If you don't have time to make one or don't want the mess, stock up on some of Odwalla smoothies. (You can get them at Whole Foods.) I use those before meets when I'm travelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    No, can't do it the night before ... If you don't have time to make one or don't want the mess, stock up on some of Odwalla smoothies. (You can get them at Whole Foods.) I use those before meets when I'm travelling.
    You big-city folk are so cute. The nearest Whole Foods is like 90 miles away... But! We do have Adams Farm Market, and they sell Odwalla & such. Also, I just bought some flavored coconut water, that might work. And the berries were on sale so I can freeze them for later smoothie use.

Another idea is that I could become the least favorite person in the office and bring the blender here! I might as well microwave fish for lunch while I'm at it...
    You big-city folk are so cute. The nearest Whole Foods is like 90 miles away... But! We do have Adams Farm Market, and they sell Odwalla & such. Also, I just bought some flavored coconut water, that might work. And the berries were on sale so I can freeze them for later smoothie use.

Another idea is that I could become the least favorite person in the office and bring the blender here! I might as well microwave fish for lunch while I'm at it...
    You could get one of those small bullet blenders for the office.

And, well, just as long as you have somewhere to get them!
    Do you make the fruit puree packet, or is that available for purchase somewhere? I'd ideally like to make a big batch of something and have it available all week.
    I buy the fruit puree. It's, um, actually baby food in single-serving packets. I used these for my feeds for ow swims because they were so convenient and quick to eat, then started packing the leftovers in my swim bag once ow season was over. I liked them so much I eventually bought more! This cute city person orders them from her convenient home-delivery grocery service, but I'm guessing they're in stores near you too.

But they don't have any protein--it sounds like the pre-fabbed smoothies might be a better bet for that.
    P-town is the city! Haha
    When I go to nyc, I usually pick up the metro from your area and ride into Grand Central.

I munch on granola with my yogurt (a tad of maple syrup is nice), and I have started to drink some whey protein, too. Better with milk, but I can stomach it with water if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    P-town is the city! Haha
    When I go to nyc, I usually pick up the metro from your area and ride into Grand Central.

I munch on granola with my yogurt (a tad of maple syrup is nice), and I have started to drink some whey protein, too. Better with milk, but I can stomach it with water if needed.
    I'm a former Manhattan resident who would have said, "yes, but WHICH Whole Foods, and why not Trader Joe's?"

Granola + yogurt is the bomb. I like to add a little fruit butter if I have it.