View RSS Feed

Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic

It's So Heavy

Rate this Entry
Today's swim took me about 2000 yards before I felt like I was actually warmed up and ready to swim. And then I had about 150 yards of glory before my arms felt like they were made of lead. But in those 150 yards, life was beautiful.

This workout was copied from a Tall Paul workout earlier this week. (Which I just typed as "Taul Pall," and would like to keep that way.)

500 warm-up swim & kick

2 x (4 x 100's)
- round #1 25scull/25swim/25drill/25swim @ R:20
- round #2 swim descend 1-4 @ 1:30

3 x (4 x 50's)
- round #1 kick @ 1:00
- round #2 swim IM order @ :50
- round #3 swim w/fins or paddles or snorkels or pull

4 x (4 x 75's @ 1:30)
- Round #1 = #1 first 25 at 100 race pace/50 cruise, #2 second 25, #3 third 25, #4 all fast at 200 race pace
- Round #2 same as above but stroke option
- Round #3 same as Rd#1
- Round #4 more of a warm-down than anything, really

3100 total

And with that, I hit 350 miles for the year!

I tried out the new turn with deeper feet, and it was kind of magical. I kept up with the guy who I have deemed my personal pace rabbit for most of the swim, with the exception of a few sets where he left me with something to aspire to. (And the sets where he wore his fins, being that I forgot mine at home.

Thanks to the commenters yesterday for the post-workout food suggestions! I'm persuaded enough to try to drink chocolate milk again for the first time in decades, starting.... tomorrow. Bananas are still out, as they are the fruit of the devil. Today, I admit, I went to Dunkin Donuts and got egg and cheese on a bagel. I'm not even going to try to justify that, and I'm not even going to pretend that I didn't also get a pumpkin donut as well. I craved, I caved, it happened.

But during lunch, I went to the store and I stocked up on coconut milk, chocolate milk, cottage cheese, and some berries that I plan on freezing for later use. I've also got some nuts and dried fruits, which I predict will be a lovely replacement for those stupid bars.

Submit "It's So Heavy" to Digg Submit "It's So Heavy" to del.icio.us Submit "It's So Heavy" to StumbleUpon Submit "It's So Heavy" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I did that same Tall Paul workout last week and loved it!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Hmm, must have been a day I either skipped or did a Laura set

As to diet, I find that getting protein after swimming helps to make me feel more full, and I don't snack on bad things like chips. I eat a protein bar as I'm leaving the pool (I use Cliff Builder but any will do). I go to Starbucks and get a protein smoothie. Then when I get to work I microwave a Jimmy Dean sandwich (egg white, turkey sausage, low-fat cheese on a whole wheat muffin).
    After all that, I'm usually set for the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    The FISH were fans of it today, but we were kind of shocked that it was only 2600 yards. I love that quality sculling and kicking work, but it doesn't add up quickly!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Hmm, must have been a day I either skipped or did a Laura set

As to diet, I find that getting protein after swimming helps to make me feel more full, and I don't snack on bad things like chips. I eat a protein bar as I'm leaving the pool (I use Cliff Builder but any will do). I go to Starbucks and get a protein smoothie. Then when I get to work I microwave a Jimmy Dean sandwich (egg white, turkey sausage, low-fat cheese on a whole wheat muffin).
    After all that, I'm usually set for the morning.
    Protein is so good that way. And it was kind of my rationale for getting an egg & cheese thing when they're so full of unnatural crap. And chips are bad things now?