View RSS Feed

Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic

Nassau County Aquatic Meet

Rate this Entry
I went to the AquaFit meet at the Nassau County Aquatic Center yesterday. Accompanied by only two other team members - FISH took first place in the small teams division! And that was first out of 11, so it was actually a thing.

I went for a bear of a set list, and this was Short Course Meters:

Carolyn Bennett, 33:
200 Meter Freestyle - 2:49.05
50 Meter Backstroke - 46.40
200 Meter Breaststroke - 3:44.10
100 Meter Butterfly - 1:52.00
200 Meter IM - 3:28.46

Again, I'm really not happy with my 200 free. It was a second slower than my last go a year ago. The swim felt good, but for a sluggish feeling that set in during the last 50. Even with that, I thought I was on pace to do better than last time, but then I looked at the clock, and there's just no improvement. These were my splits:
39.09 1:22.08 (42.99) 2:05.01 (42.93) 2:49.05 (44.04)

I have a few theories on this:
1) I'm tried. I'm swimming more now than I have ever before, and I might need some rest to let the yardage sink in. (About a week ago, my FLOG total surpassed last year's.)
2) I'm lacking the innate athleticism one needs to endure a 200. Can I possibly make this up with more swimming or working out? Or weight lifting? If that is the case, I need to alter my current plan.
3) I stopped doing yoga. Last fall and winter, I went fairly regularly every Tuesday night. I think there was something to that. I stopped going because I'm trying to be careful with my spending, but I can't manage to do an hour of continuous yoga unless I'm paying for a class.
4) I'm on a plateau. I need a plan to get off it. Could use some coaching, maybe?
5) I have some kind of tropical disease that has no symptoms other than that my muscles feel heavy when I use them.
No matter what the excuse, I'm not yet giving up on my goal to qualify for Nationals in the 200 free. (My swim buddy is convinced that what's going to happen is that I'm going to get to Greensboro and swim the qualifying time there.)

As far as the other races yesterday, I recovered from my minor 200 free disappointment, and I was pretty happy with them. The 100 fly was a bit ridiculous, but that was just a few minutes after the 200 free, and I had no goal but to finish legally. I kind of dig that it ended in a .00.
The 200 breast was good fun, and I dropped about 15 seconds off the last time I swam it by keeping my eyes on the black line and working my glide.
Also, I'm happy with dropping two seconds off the 50 back, a stroke I've been swimming with more frequency.
The 200 IM I was also glad to just finish legally. It was the last event of the day, and I was jelly. My two teammates stood on the side and cheered, and I'm convinced that was what kept me from stopping after the fly was over. It felt nice to do some freestyle again!

Other notes on the meet:
What a great social event! It's always nice to see Ms. Swimsuit Addict in person, and I also bumped into some swimmers I've met during my visits to Westchester. I know there were some other fourumites there, but the meet went a little too quickly for me to have time to make new friends.

Also, my sister and her husband were able to stop by because they live in Long Island, very close to the pool. I look forward to the day that they have kids so I can come visit and take 'em swimming.

This was the first masters meet for one of our teammates, and she was great fun to have along. She's in my age group and swims in our lane and faster than me, so I'm looking forward to having the competitive push I need to help get me off the damn plateau.

Congrats to everyone who was there, and thanks to Lisa and AquaFit for running yet another exceptional meet! (I've got my hardware all up here on my cubicle wall now.)

Submit "Nassau County Aquatic Meet" to Digg Submit "Nassau County Aquatic Meet" to del.icio.us Submit "Nassau County Aquatic Meet" to StumbleUpon Submit "Nassau County Aquatic Meet" to Google

Updated November 21st, 2011 at 01:38 PM by swimmerb212

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I have a few theories on this:
    1) ...I might need some rest to let the yardage sink in. (About a week ago, my FLOG total surpassed last year's.)
    For sure. Especially if you've amped it up, rest is in order for fast swimming.

2) I'm lacking the innate athleticism one needs to endure a 200. Can I possibly make this up with more swimming or working out? Or weight lifting? If that is the case, I need to alter my current plan.

4) ...Could use some coaching, maybe?
    I'd hazard a guess that most of us will see greater gains through technique and getting more efficient and effective in the water than just training alone. Coaching's probably a better investment of your time, but primarily if that coach is going to help correct stroke flaws (we've all got 'em!) and not just focus on giving you a workout.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    For sure. Especially if you've amped it up, rest is in order for fast swimming.

I'd hazard a guess that most of us will see greater gains through technique and getting more efficient and effective in the water than just training alone. Coaching's probably a better investment of your time, but primarily if that coach is going to help correct stroke flaws (we've all got 'em!) and not just focus on giving you a workout.
    I should note that no one is better at sleeping than I am. I'm really, really good at that.

Our pool comes with a coach, and he's trying to help me a little, but I don't feel certain that we see eye to eye anymore, and I like Tall Paul workouts better than his, anyway. His advice has usually been along the lines of "just start swimming faster." I'm ready for someone to elaborate on that!
    I vote for #s 4, 1, and 3, in that order. Nay on 2 and 5!

Congrats to your team's win, with just 3 swimmers! Cool that those team results were pretty tight--it meant the swims actually counted for something (besides masters medals)!
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    I vote for #s 4, 1, and 3, in that order. Nay on 2 and 5!

Congrats to your team's win, with just 3 swimmers! Cool that those team results were pretty tight--it meant the swims actually counted for something (besides masters medals)!
    Tropical disease does seem unlikely, now that I think about it.

We did make a pretty good threesome, I think we also got very fortunate with the events we chose and the competition it brought us!
    Some things that have been helping me lately wrt the 200:
    - tracking my times in practice on fast efforts (most main sets). Once I started tracking my hard efforts in practice, I stopped slacking as much.
    - swim hard 200s in practice
    - practice race 200 strategy in practice. During any 200 I think about and attempt to follow my racing strategy and I will frequently use it on 300s (100 smooth 200 strategy) and 150s (beginning or end of 200 strategy).

I don't think you need to get more yardage in, just work harder during the main sets. More yardage will help if you want to swim 5 events well in 2 hours, but for one event, 3k several times a week is fine.

I agree with pwb, the non-200 specific advice that working with a coach on your technique is going to be the biggest factor in getting faster.