View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Tuesday 11222011 workouts

Rate this Entry
by , November 23rd, 2011 at 12:25 AM (76 Views)
wasn't quite sure what I was in the mood for my run this morning, heck or what Holly was in the mood for, but we did mostly our 'usual'....

Paseo Trail, home to Paseo Vista Park 6.31 mi 00:50 07:59 pace

Into the darkness... It was pretty dark out when Holly (the dog) and I went out for our run this morning. Temps were a bit brisk, in the low 40s, and my arms are still cold. Anyway, we went along the Consolidated Canal, down to Paseo Vista park, break there, then back. I've had a weird dull pain in my left foot, but it doesn't seem to bother me too much. Mile splits: 8:09, 8:21, 8:28, 7:48, 7:48, 7:36, 7:18 (the Garmin site says my avg pace is 7:60...now that's weird). Holly goes off to be groomed today
Distance: 6.31 mi
Time: 50:29
Avg Pace: 7:60 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 7 ft
Calories: 848 C
Avg Pace: 7:60 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace: 7:57 min/mi
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/130283767

I thought I broke the Garmin system when it told me my avg pace was 7:60, but when I look down at the splits on the link above, my overall average was 7:59.9...must be some quirk in their programming with rounding when it should go up to the next minute, but didn't.
anyway, this felt good. still had the kink in my foot, but it was workable.

after work, I went up to Mesa-Kino for the 6pm masters swim workout.
we were in the main pool (SCY)
Paul was on deck coaching

(I commented to Paul that I had never seen him coach an evening workout...and that I just assumed he went to bed by 3pm)

got in 200 w/u various

16 x 25, done in 4 sets of 4--
--easy/fast
--fast/easy
--all easy
--all fast
rounds 1-2 @ :35/25
rounds 3-4 @ :30/25
I did rounds 1 & 3 free, 2 & 4 breast

4 x 50 kick @ 1:10, desc 1-4
I did kick on back w/fins

2 x 25 swim w/parachute @ :30 rest
50 fast free for time (:29)

2 x 25 stroke w/parachute @ :30 rest (breast)
50 fast stroke for time (breast off block, :37)

2 x 25 swim w/parachute + fins @ :30 rest
50 fast free w/fins (:27)

2 x 25 stroke w/parachute + br fins @ :30 rest
50 fast breast w/breast fins (:36)

2 x 25 swim w/parachute, fins, paddles @ :30 rest
100 fast swim w/fins + paddles (my left calf cramped almost immediately, 1:03 mostly just pulling)

about 4 x 50 reverse bungee swims (easy down, fast swim back w/Paul pulling the cord)
mixed in 4 x 50 easy swims in between

200 w/d, pulling the tarps on the pool

TTL: 2200 yards

when I saw Paul there (Jack was leaving), I knew it wouldn't be the typical Tues PM swim, and it sure wasn't. this set had Paul written all over it.
oh, and I chatted with Paul and told him how I'm doing some of the meet in Boston in a few weeks. he thought a 5:30 400 SCM free was do-able. when I told him I was also doing the 100 IM, 200 breast, 50 fr/br, he started laughing. I told him I'd probably have to leave before the 50s, but you never know... he told me he'll work with me on my fly, and I said that I just want to legally finish the IM; a 25m fly isn't totally horrible.

since I'm racing Thurs morning, I'm going to forgo the gym tomorrow night, well treadmill and weights at least.
I may do a swim double, go back to Kino, or go to the Tempe gym and do a solo SCM swim after work. would be nice to work on my GTD mileage; I'm about 450 YTD and I'd like to hit 500 (either way, I'm already way above where I finished last year)
Or maybe just take the night off, go home and relax

Submit "Tuesday 11222011 workouts" to Digg Submit "Tuesday 11222011 workouts" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday 11222011 workouts" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday 11222011 workouts" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Running

Comments

The fly in a 100 IM is quite manageable and you should have no trouble finishing legally. You only need to be able to do about 5 strokes of fly and since you are a breaststroker, I have no idea why you would worry about finishing legally.
    From what I recall of your free practice times, they're fairly similar to mine, so a 5.30 SCM 400 free should be well manageable.

I went 5.21 last week - no pressure
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    The fly in a 100 IM is quite manageable and you should have no trouble finishing legally. You only need to be able to do about 5 strokes of fly and since you are a breaststroker, I have no idea why you would worry about finishing legally.
    Almost missed this comment.

Yea, if it were a 200 IM I'd be much more pressed, but a 100 IM I shouldn't have any problems with...legally.
    I mostly just said that to Paul so he doesn't get all crazy with wanting me to break a 1:15 or anything. I pretty much told him I'm doing it to pass the time, and just don't want to get DQ'd (I've never yet been DQ'd).
    Quote Originally Posted by couldbebetterfly
    From what I recall of your free practice times, they're fairly similar to mine, so a 5.30 SCM 400 free should be well manageable.

I went 5.21 last week - no pressure
    Lol, I'll remember that. I did a 5:49 (maybe less, that's what my stopwatch said by the time I saw it) on Sunday night. But that was in a gym pool that didn't have overflow gutters, wearing a drag suit, and running that morning.

That's actually a very decent time! Great job!