View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

The Mesa Turkey Trot 10k

Rate this Entry
by , November 24th, 2011 at 02:26 PM (78 Views)
I rarely post here anymore unless I have something remotely swimming related. Well I guess I do have that...

yesterday, a Facebook friend of mine, and a gal I used to swim with when I swam at Sun Devil Masters @ ASU, posted this picture on her Facebook--
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

If you can't see it, Matt Biondi is in the area, and dropped in with their workout yesterday morning.
Why on earth he did that, and skipped out on Mesa is beyond me

Anyway, the totally non-swimming related stuff...I did my very first 10k run this morning.
Here's what I posted on dailymile--

The Mesa Turkey Trot 10k 6.19 mi 00:46 07:30 pace

The Mesa Turkey Trot 10k, and my first ever 10k. Yea, I've now done 3 full and 2 half marathons, but these smaller things are a whole different animal. Weather was about perfect, 55-60F, some high clouds, just a touch of sun. Got there early, found great parking across the street...waited for a port-a-john, then headed to the start. Emily found me, and we chatted until the start. No corrals, and the first 1-2 miles seemed like I was just passing people. After that, I started to settle into a decent pace, we looped around, came back to the start, and I heard the announcer say, "the turkey is just ahead, go after him." I thought he was joking, but next thing I know, I see a guy running in red tights, and a full-blown turkey outfit. Figured I'd pace off of him for a while, and did...until around 4.4 miles, then I passed him. The next mile I began to fade a little, but at 5.5 I picked things back up...then again at 6, and gave what I had left for a finish. Mile splits: 7:51, 7:16, 7:36, 7:33, 7:51, 7:09, 6:38.
Maybe I should try a couple more of these, they don't seem quite so bad.
and here's the usual Garmin stuff--
Distance: 6.19 mi
Time: 46:33
Avg Pace: 7:31 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 132 ft
Calories: 835 C
Avg Pace: 7:31 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace: 7:27 min/mi

Official results:
chip time: 46:25
gun time: 46:46
overall place: 343
place among men: 291
place in age group: 26
(Urmas finished in 37:56, and even his girlfriend Tara beat me, 45:59, too bad I didn't see them beforehand as it would have been great to run with her)

other random musings--

* it was hilarious that there really was someone dressed as a turkey and running. Urmas and Tara found me after, and we all got a picture with him, and if I ever get it, I'll post it. certainly if I wore a turkey outfit, it would take me an hour + for this

* I'd swear I had more music in my, "tempo run," playlist. but it ran out somewhere around 4 miles. I considered stopping and getting more music going, but figured by that point I just had 2 miles to go. maybe that had something to do with fading around that point

* other than track workouts, I clocked some of my fastest split miles this morning. why on earth I've avoided a 10k race before is beyond me. it is about the perfect distance for me.
but I guess before I go on about them, I should see how I feel tomorrow.

* Holly (my dog) was pretty pissed when I put on my running shoes...then left. I did take her for about a mile walk after, but it isn't quite the same.

* my goal next year is to run a 5k, 10k, half, and full marathon...all in 1 calendar year. considering I already have 2 half races planned, that should be rather reasonable. I keep telling myself I should do the Chandler Ostrich Festival 5k, and hopefully it will work next year.

Submit "The Mesa Turkey Trot 10k" to Digg Submit "The Mesa Turkey Trot 10k" to del.icio.us Submit "The Mesa Turkey Trot 10k" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Mesa Turkey Trot 10k" to Google

Updated November 24th, 2011 at 04:48 PM by aztimm

Categories
Running

Comments

Biondi kind of looks in the former New Jersey governor in that pic.
    Nice run... I guess wtf do I know about running Glad you found a distance you enjoy that isn't quite so hard on the body as the half and full.

Sorry you missed Biondi. I am sorry I missed him too.