View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Saturday 12/31/2011: 100 x 100m workout

Rate this Entry
by , December 31st, 2011 at 03:54 PM (186 Views)
went up to Mesa-Kino for the workout this morning
we were in the main pool (LCM)
Paul was on deck, more assisting than coaching

I actually did an easy 150 before we started

my lane divided the 100 x 100's as follows--

1 to 60: @ 1:45--
--I led the first 20, then we rotated through most people, then led again 51-60. I wanted to press on, but was overrulled by the rest of the lane to take a break
--even though the interval was 1:45, when we rotated the first was on 1:40 to keep the time on-track

about 4 min break

61-70: @ 1:55, I did 25 breast/25 free/25 breast/25 free

another min break

71-80: @ 1:55, I wore fins and did 50 easy kick on my back, 50 free

81-90: no extra break, interval switched to 1:50. I did 1 without equip, then pulled the rest

about 30 sec rest

91-100: @ 1:45, I swam these

then did an extremely easy 100 w/d

TTL: 10,250m, about 3 hours and 2 min

as I planned, I got up early and ate a PB&J before heading up to the pool. this worked the last time I did this (but that was 10,000 yards), and for 2 of my 3 marathons (the one where I didn't I did poorly).

we all began the set together, and I took the first 100 way too fast, something like 1:23. I was shocked and knew that wasn't a good sign. took a couple 100s to find a good pace, tried doing the same as the next lane, but they seemed all over the place. so I settled on 1:45, and I got about 15 sec rest, which was perfect.

somewhere around 15 I started to chat with the gal behind me about rotating (we had informally said this before we started), and suggested at 20. she was fine with it, but some others in the lane were not. once I dropped back, it was so much easier not leading...didn't realize all the draft you get behind 5 others. it was rather annoying that the gal in front of me would randomly flip over and to backstroke; I bumped into her several times when she did.

when we got to 50, the gal in front of me led 1, then suddenly got out. so I jumped in and led, got into my groove again, was planning to go to 70, before 2 others in the lane told me they really needed a break at 60.

putting on the fins was a huge mistake, I have no idea why I did it. both calves were in the verge of cramping; neither did with the fins on, but they didn't help. I did cramp during my pull set.

I can't even remember when I did the 100 x 100 yard set, I think at least 5 years ago. but I don't remember it being nearly as painful as LCM. I think I could probably wait another 5 years until I do it again.

some final thoughts for 2011, and some for 2012--

* I swam about 110 miles more this year than 2010, which I thought was a good year. After today, I now have 520.26 miles for 2011.
I hadn't really looked until last week, but I was on the fringe of 2000 miles for all training (swimming, biking, running, elliptical, and whatever else I do) for 2011 (90% of that is swimming and running). I think I finished around 1,920 miles. Yea there is still time, in theory I could go out for an ~80 mile ride, but that isn't going to happen.

* I competed more this year than ever before in my life. did 3 swim meets and 4 running events. I've definitely decided that 2 marathons in a year is way too much (perhaps 2 too many). I'm still a little disappointed that I missed out on the Governor's Island swim, but maybe I'll get to do it eventually.

* While I'm certainly nowhere near any Top 10 times (I'm probably in the most competitive age group out there, and it won't get better for 20+ years, if at all), I have improved significantly. I was telling a guy today how my 400 SCM from the BU meet was about a 30 sec drop -v- a meet 10 years ago, and he was very surprised. My 100 LCM time dropped 4 sec this year -v- last year.

* The only thing I have scheduled so far for 2012 is the Liberty Island Swim. I'll probably do 1 (or more) each of a SCY/LCM/SCM meet, and maybe a local open water or 2. Depending how quickly I get back to running, I have tentative plans to do 1-2 half marathons, and a handful of 5k/10k races....perhaps a marathon in the fall.
But I'm really itching to do a triathlon again (my last was in 1997). Right now I'm targeting the Tempe International Olympic distance one, in mid-May.
I'm also interested in doing a bike race. I've always wanted to do the Tour de Tucson; not sure if that will happen this year, but it is on my bucket list.

* I have 3 other people from my team (possibly more) who are up for the 100 x 100IM challenge with me for 2012. Not quite sure what we'll accomplish, but it will force me to at least do it I guess.
I think 500 miles was a good goal for swimming, and I'll probably stick with it.
And that elusive 2000 miles of all training is something I'm going to target. If I'm biking more (or at all), that should be pretty easy.

Thankfully we don't have any big plans for tonight. I imagine it will be a struggle to wait up until 10pm to see the ball drop at Times Square (the nice thing about being behind Eastern time). Oh, and of course the big Dillard's New Year's Day sale tomorrow

Submit "Saturday 12/31/2011:  100 x 100m workout" to Digg Submit "Saturday 12/31/2011:  100 x 100m workout" to del.icio.us Submit "Saturday 12/31/2011:  100 x 100m workout" to StumbleUpon Submit "Saturday 12/31/2011:  100 x 100m workout" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Planning

Comments

Congratulations on your swim. I wish I could've made it to mine, but family stuff comes first.
    Good job. when I did the 100 x 100 in Oct, we took too many breaks because the group discussed what they want to do for the next ten. Luckily, most of them left at 50 and no breaks after that.

You need 500 miles in swimming and so much running. Geesh! Remember, most people who are Top Ten in your age group swam alot in their childhood. Didn't you say that you pretty much started swimming in college during lap swimming?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Congratulations on your swim. I wish I could've made it to mine, but family stuff comes first.
    Yea, that's too bad about your son. Hope everything is OK now.
    But you've been pretty lucky throughout the year, with traveling to meets, getting in training and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Good job. when I did the 100 x 100 in Oct, we took too many breaks because the group discussed what they want to do for the next ten. Luckily, most of them left at 50 and no breaks after that.
    I think it would have been less painful without breaks. Was tempted to move to the next faster lane, and should have. They finished when we still had 5 to go

The fastest lanes (where Patrick should have been) finished when we still had 10 to go.

Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    You need 500 miles in swimming and so much running. Geesh! Remember, most people who are Top Ten in your age group swam alot in their childhood. Didn't you say that you pretty much started swimming in college during lap swimming?
    I think there was a column in one of the USMS Swimmer mags about different categories of swimmers, but somehow I missed it.

Anyway, I learned to swim when I was 4, but it was mostly just something for summers, and the occasional swimming party at the CYC.
    I did some lap swimming when I went to Pitt. When I was in the Army, I got back to it more regularly (we had 1-1/2 hour for lunch, so I'd go swim for 30-45 min, and still have plenty of time for lunch). Then when I went back to school I did much more lap swimming and water polo.
    I got into masters swimming after doing triathlons, and have been on different teams since April 1998.

I still think it would be pretty cool to get at least 1 NQT...
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Yea, that's too bad about your son. Hope everything is OK now.
    But you've been pretty lucky throughout the year, with traveling to meets, getting in training and all.
    Yeah, I'm fine with my year. I honestly wasn't really looking forward to 100x100s anyway. Who knows if I really would've completed them anyway?

My son will be fine. It's just something we need to keep an eye on for a while, and find out if we need to start the meds again. I hope not. (seizures)
    Congrats on 100x100s.

With regard to what the 100x100IMs will accomplish, what will me swimming 23.9 accomplish? All challenges/goal times/whatever are just reasons to train.
    What to get some fat burning in! Hope you strike gold at the sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Congrats on 100x100s.

With regard to what the 100x100IMs will accomplish, what will me swimming 23.9 accomplish? All challenges/goal times/whatever are just reasons to train.
    Yea I guess swimming 100 x 100 IM over the course of a year would accomplish about as much as swimming 100 x 100 in one session. But hopefully without the same after-effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    What to get some fat burning in! Hope you strike gold at the sale.
    I'm sure anything I burned I quickly consumed after. Ate a protein bar while driving home, then found some wings in the fridge, and ate a turkey sandwich for lunch. Then a huge chicken burrito for dinner.

The sale wasn't as good as normal, but still some good finds, especially in the Polo Ralph Luaren section.
    While checking out, a woman mentioned how she was there when they opened the doors, and it was chaos in the women's handbag section. Supposedly some $400 Coach handbags were going for $100 or less...and were all gone within 5 minutes. Hearing that made me thankful for the somewhat civilized men's section.