View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Three strikes ...

Rate this Entry
by , January 24th, 2012 at 11:31 PM (107 Views)
... and I should've been out, but I persisted.

The strikes were:

1. Got to Lifetime all pumped to do my 8 x 200 heart rate test set ... and realized I left my diving slate at home
  2. I got through 300 of my warmup in the SCM pool ... only to be stopped by the assistant aquatics director who told me that the pumps had been down since the morning, they thought they were going to get fixed, but they weren't and so they were closing the pool. He was very apologetic and even considered letting me when I said, "I'll sign my life away ... heck, I've swum in Tempe Town Lake ... how dirty can this be?" But, of course, if I swam, then he'd have to let other people swim.
  3. They are still not heating the outdoor pool so my only option was to swim in the kids play pool, which has 3 lanes ... and was probably 85 or 86 degrees.

The only positive was that the aquatics guy confirmed that the kids pool was 54 feet across. It does puzzle me as to how Lifetime could have gotten so many things right (e.g., 25 M course, backstroke flags, digital clocks, top quality lane ropes) in the main lap pools and then built some "lap lanes" as part of the kids pool that weren't some logical width. 20 yards would've made more sense. Oh well, I got to do a lot of 108s and 216s today!

After the 1st 300, the distances are yards:

• 1 x 300 (scm): 100 free, 200 IM k/d
  • <interlude discussion with aquatics director>
  • 1 x 216: easy free
  • 4 x 108: on 1:40, gentle descend free (1:11, 1:10, 1:09, 1:06+)
  • 4 x 108: on 2:00, descend IM kick w/board
  • 6 x 54: on 1:00, #1 & #6 easy free, #2 to #5 IM build
    • I did get stopped by the 75 year old lady in the lane next to me after my fly ... she very nicely wanted to compliment me on my stroke ... and then kept talking, and talking, and talking

• 6 x 36: on 0:40, 1st three were 1/2 lap fast - 1/2 lap easy, next 3 were easy
  • 8 x 216: on 3:30, 70% - 80% - 90% - 100% -100%- 90% - 80% - 70% perceived effort by 216
    • 2:26, 2:20, 2:17, 2:13+, 2:12+, 2:15, 2:19, 2:20

• 6 x 36: 2 each active recovery on 0:30, 0:35, 0:40

TOTAL: ~3,900 SCY

Commentary:

Submit "Three strikes ..." to Digg Submit "Three strikes ..." to del.icio.us Submit "Three strikes ..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Three strikes ..." to Google

Comments

You'll be pleased to know my whiteboard held up, although it did need a couple of dries off. I'll get round to blogging about the full extent of pain you put me through, probably tomorrow.
    I have a bet with my daughter in this ... winner buys ice cream
    Go Maia Go!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Go Maia Go!!
    My only hope is that the kids are really beaten down right now. They are about 7 weeks out from Sectionals, so they're in the midst of very hard training. Given that a recent SCY set had 12 x (100 - 50) with both the 100s and 50s on 1:00 and she made the 100s, I think I'm in serious trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by couldbebetterfly
    You'll be pleased to know my whiteboard held up, although it did need a couple of dries off.
    Coo. I would've thought that would've been hard to work with wet hands.

Quote Originally Posted by couldbebetterfly
    I'll get round to blogging about the full extent of pain you put me through, probably tomorrow.
    Glad to have been of service
    Is this considered VSCY (very short course yards)?
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Is this considered VSCY (very short course yards)?
    I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Coo. I would've thought that would've been hard to work with wet hands.

Glad to have been of service
    As long as the pen nib stays dry its good, and the pain wasn't entirely your fault.

Lovin' the VSCY terminology. I'll remember that because some days I feel like I'm swimming VLCM!