View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Barista Boy

Rate this Entry
by , January 26th, 2012 at 09:22 PM (120 Views)
Almost a decade ago, I bought the lovely Rancilio Silvia espresso machine as a gift to myself for quitting a job to take my first "near startup" work experience. Finally, after countless shots, I have succeeded in converting over 2 members of my household to the sweet nectar of the gods. This morning I was in heaven pulling a couple of half-caff shots for #1 after her morning workout, making a skinny latte for my wife and then doing a full strength, super-dark doppio for me. If this whole professional career goes to the crapper, you'll find me working the counter of whatever Starbucks or local cafe that will have me.

Work is on fire in a good way, but I did get up to Lifetime later in the day for a little under an hour to do a variation of a workout I had posted in the High Volume Thread for last week. The tires came off the bus on the last bit, so I know I've achieved my goal of ensuring I will race this weekend with no semblance of break or rest from my training routine:

• 1 x 600: 300 IM k/d, 200 free DPS, 100 free scull
  • Drop-out 100s:
    • The goal was to do 10 x 100 dropping 0:02 per 100 on the interval.
    • I figured I could get down to 1:12, so I started on 1:30.
    • Even though Fort thought my weight session yesterday was moderate, I was sore and struggled mightily.
    • I failed on #9 on the 1:14 interval

• 4 x 50: pull recovery on 0:40, 0:45, 0:50
  • Straight through aiming to negative split and get faster as the distances got shorter:
    • 1 x 800: on 11:20, pull w/buoy & paddles, was 10:13 (5:08, 5:05)
    • 1 x 600: on 8:00, pull w/buoy, was 7:33 (3:48, 3:45)
    • 1 x 400: on 5:00 ... my legs inexplicably froze at the 200

• 4 x 50: pull recovery on 0:40, 0:45, 0:50

TOTAL: 3,500 SCM

Commentary:

• Not expecting to win the ice cream bet with my daughter tomorrow night on the 1000. I'm feeling pretty beaten down, which is what I wanted to, so I have no clue what will happen. I figure I'll try to hang with the guys seeded ahead of me for as long as possible and see what happens.
  • Got good news today for two more Masters meets in March:
    • There should be a 1 day meet that Sun Devil Masters will host early in the month
    • The State meet will be at Phoenix Swim Club on March 31st and April 1st.

• Those two will allow me sufficient opportunities to swim all the events once this SCY season and many events twice.

Submit "Barista Boy" to Digg Submit "Barista Boy" to del.icio.us Submit "Barista Boy" to StumbleUpon Submit "Barista Boy" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Finally, after countless shots, I have succeeded in converting over 2 members of my household to the sweet nectar of the gods. This morning I was in heaven pulling a couple of half-caff shots for #1 after her morning workout, making a skinny latte for my wife and then doing a full strength, super-dark doppio for me.
    Sorry...you completely lost me in whatever foriegn language you were speaking there...
    I still can't figure out why Starbucks can't just call their cups "small, medium, and large". I always get a "Large Strawberries 'n Creme" when I go there, and they're like "What size??" I reply with "Large"... "Oh...Venti". Whatever.

Not expecting to win the ice cream bet with my daughter tomorrow night on the 1000. I'm feeling pretty beaten down, which is what I wanted to, so I have no clue what will happen. I figure I'll try to hang with the guys seeded ahead of me for as long as possible and see what happens
    That shouldn't be a problem...if I remember right, it was Tuesday and you wrote:
    1000 on Friday night -- I have a bet with my daughter in this ... winner buys ice cream
    If this is the case...you'll get to save some money since your daughter will win the race. She'll be the one to have to pay the bill for the ice cream!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    That shouldn't be a problem...if I remember right, it was Tuesday and you wrote:

If this is the case...you'll get to save some money since your daughter will win the race. She'll be the one to have to pay the bill for the ice cream!!
    Clearly, I wrote it wrong. My daughter's way too smart to agree to a bet like that. That was probably my wishful thinking coming through.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Clearly, I wrote it wrong. My daughter's way too smart to agree to a bet like that. That was probably my wishful thinking coming through.
    Well...you have to at least beat my 10:44 that I did last Sunday, or you buy me ice cream as well!!
    half-caff is a gateway drug...next it will be lines of coke...good luck this weekend
    Well...you have to at least beat my 10:44 that I did last Sunday, or you buy me ice cream as well!!
    Deal. My best is 10:22.6 and my SCM time converts to 10:14 or so. Our club coach says in-season swims should be 2-3% away from a best time, so my range is 10:26 (2% above conversion) to 10:40 (3% above best SCY time).

Given that I had a dream last night that I went 6:00 in my 400 LCM IM on Saturday, though ...
    Given that I had a dream last night that I went 6:00 in my 400 LCM IM on Saturday, though ...
    Must be some subconscious thing related to your workouts. A couple of nights ago I dreamed that my friend's 8 yr old finished only 20 sec behind me in a 1500.
    Congratulations on addicting the next generation. Now you need to work on training them to pull a decent shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Now you need to work on training them to pull a decent shot.
    I've trained #1 child so she can pull her own shots for herself and my wife when I'm out of town, but she's an amateur so it'll be years before I trust her to make my shots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    ...good luck this weekend
    Thanks. Too bad you won't be down in Tucson. See you at the Mesa meet on Feb 18th? Better yet, enter the 1650 Friday night of the PSC Winter Invite (USAS) and have some fun pacing & racing the young guns.
    A 1 day meet. How's the order of events?

I have a throwdown showdown with my kid this month also, in the 50 breast. I've resorted to smack talking to get in her head. I'm not feeling confident. $50 is on the line.
    Every event this season--very cool!

The charms of coffee of any sort still escape me, although I do enjoy the aroma.

Whatever happens in the 1000---enjoy the ice cream after! Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    Absolutely perfect when you're willing to and enjoy swimming anything (well, except for the 200 free 'cause I'm still PO'd with that event)

I have a throwdown showdown with my kid this month also, in the 50 breast. I've resorted to smack talking to get in her head. I'm not feeling confident. $50 is on the line.
    She's gonna be livin' large.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Every event this season--very cool!
    It's hard to do in an LCM or SCM season, but there are usually enough meets to make it a slam dunk in SCY. Since I like all the events people think are hard (e.g., 400 IM, 200 fly, 1000, 165), it's really just a struggle for me to be willing to enter things like the 200 breast and the dreaded 200 free.

Good luck with that!! But easy on the smack talk...I've learned the hard way that some girls/ladies can't take it very good. Some (That) Guy-s are about the same too...
    Since I like all the events people think are hard (e.g., 400 IM, 200 fly, 1000, 165), it's really just a struggle for me to be willing to enter things like the 200 breast and the dreaded 200 free.
    I find it really hard to get into a 165 yard free as well.
    I find it really hard to get into a 165 yard free as well.
    Just go all out after the 150.
    ... and the dreaded 200 free.
    Agreed, that is one seriously evil event.