View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Majorly chicked

Rate this Entry
by , January 27th, 2012 at 08:55 PM (184 Views)
... by a little girl!

I lost the bet big time to my daughter in the 1000 tonight. We went into the meet with best times as follows:

• Her - 10:23.50
  • Me - 10:22.63 (from Hawaii Nats in '02)

The results paint a far different picture:

• Her - 10:14.28
  • Me - 10:25.35

She crushed me, made her first NCSA Juniors cut and got a USAS Juniors Bonus Cut with that. It's clear that the distance torch has not only been passed, she's now running away with it. This proud papa will be heading out to Sweet Republic (http://sweetrepublic.com/) in short order to settle up my debt.

As for my swim, here are my thoughts:

• I'm pretty stoked with the time given where I am in my training. I was thinking this was going to be my only 1000 of the season, but I'll definitely do it again, probably at the AZ State Champs. I think a sub 10:10 time is in my future.
  • As for race execution, it all went according to plan for about 350 to 400 yards and I was hanging on the hips to knees of the two kids who ended up going 9:58s:
    • 1:00.4
    • 1:00.5
    • 1:02.4

• At the 400, split for split, I was 3 seconds ahead of my daughter, me at 4:00.40 and she at 4:03.49 ... but there's where the conditioning (or lack thereof) came into play as my next six 100s paint a much more painful picture
    • 1:04.0
    • 1:03.9
    • 1:04.4
    • 1:04.8
    • 1:04.7
    • 1:03.9

• My youngest daughter video'd it (no I won't punish you by posting it) and I noticed 4 things that I really need to focus on:
    • Stop looking at the wall before the turns
    • Keep my head looking down more during my stroke
    • As I've been feeling for awhile, I am indeed crossing over on my left hand entry. It looks like I quickly adjust and get it outside the center line for the pull, but there's wasted effort.
    • As I got tired, I also started doing the same thing with my right hand when I breathed to the right side.

• All-in-all, I'm quite pleased with the race ... even if my baby beat me.

Submit "Majorly chicked" to Digg Submit "Majorly chicked" to del.icio.us Submit "Majorly chicked" to StumbleUpon Submit "Majorly chicked" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Great swim and you still got crushed! You took it out like James Adams.
    That is a great time. Congrats on your daughter's time too. That is sick fast.
    That's a very nice time, I hope to go as fast next Friday. Only 3 secs off a best time from when you were 10 years younger (and presumably rested) is certainly something to celebrate.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Yeah, I was hanging with the kids who went sub 10 through about the 350. They just kept holding 00-low and brought their last 100 home under 1:00. I just died.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    That is a great time. Congrats on your daughter's time too. That is sick fast.
    Thanks, Tom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    That's a very nice time, I hope to go as fast next Friday. Only 3 secs off a best time from when you were 10 years younger (and presumably rested) is certainly something to celebrate.
    Thanks. Yeah, it does feel good to not be getting slower ... of course, I'm still ignoring those B70 times
    I'm glad I have a reputation that others can use as an example!! Good or Bad...I still get the attention!

Very very nice time Patrick!! Congratulations on having to purchase ice cream as well!! Your #1 went hella fast!! I don't think I've ever seen a female go that fast in any of the meets (age group or college) I was in. That's just flat out amazing!!
    Wow. Only 3s slower than a time you put up 10 years ago... and you did it unrested! I smell a pr in your future.
    What's the next event to try to keep your manhood intact?? The 200 Fly or 400 IM gridge with your daughter?
    Sorry Kirk...he took it out way faster than a "James Adams". I only was out in 58.7 for my 1000...and then went 1:04, then 1:05s.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    What's the next event to try to keep your manhood intact?? The 200 Fly or 400 IM gridge with your daughter?
    I think I've got those two events covered for another year at least. The 500 will be the next domino to fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I think I've got those two events covered for another year at least. The 500 will be the next domino to fall.
    Better change your focus to protecting that one then!!
    You should've "played dirty" with her the night before, and set alarm clocks all over her room set to go off at random intervals throughout the night...No good night sleep can really have an effect on performance!
    That's not nice...sorry...
    I'm working on "bowing" first on the turns, not looking up towards the wall.
    Of course, I have to at your time in the event. You still the have the edge for the La Jolla swim, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Wow. Only 3s slower than a time you put up 10 years ago... and you did it unrested! I smell a pr in your future.
    Thanks, Karl. I sure hope so. I do need to swim it in March sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    I'm working on "bowing" first on the turns, not looking up towards the wall.
    Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    You still the have the edge for the La Jolla swim, right?
    I'm not so sure about that. If she does the Gatorman this year, she'll smoke me. I'm planning on doing both the mile and the Gatorman this year; given the timing of the women's amateur mile, she'll need to decide between the two. I imagine she'll do the mile ... and I imagine she'll beat me!
    I think being chicked by your daughter is awesome.
    Wow that is really super. Congrats to your daughter and to you too. What flavors of icecream did the winner and the proud papa enjoy?
    Great times by both of you!

Although I can't believe I'm following workouts set by a guy who's just been chicked by his own little girl
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    What flavors of icecream did the winner and the proud papa enjoy?
    She got Meyer Lemon and some chocolate chunk thing in a waffle cone; I got a single scoop of pistachio. She thinks she won the ice cream event, as well, but, really, I did.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast