View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Majorly chicked

Rate this Entry
by , January 27th, 2012 at 08:55 PM (183 Views)
... by a little girl!

I lost the bet big time to my daughter in the 1000 tonight. We went into the meet with best times as follows:

• Her - 10:23.50
  • Me - 10:22.63 (from Hawaii Nats in '02)

The results paint a far different picture:

• Her - 10:14.28
  • Me - 10:25.35

She crushed me, made her first NCSA Juniors cut and got a USAS Juniors Bonus Cut with that. It's clear that the distance torch has not only been passed, she's now running away with it. This proud papa will be heading out to Sweet Republic (http://sweetrepublic.com/) in short order to settle up my debt.

As for my swim, here are my thoughts:

• I'm pretty stoked with the time given where I am in my training. I was thinking this was going to be my only 1000 of the season, but I'll definitely do it again, probably at the AZ State Champs. I think a sub 10:10 time is in my future.
  • As for race execution, it all went according to plan for about 350 to 400 yards and I was hanging on the hips to knees of the two kids who ended up going 9:58s:
    • 1:00.4
    • 1:00.5
    • 1:02.4

• At the 400, split for split, I was 3 seconds ahead of my daughter, me at 4:00.40 and she at 4:03.49 ... but there's where the conditioning (or lack thereof) came into play as my next six 100s paint a much more painful picture
    • 1:04.0
    • 1:03.9
    • 1:04.4
    • 1:04.8
    • 1:04.7
    • 1:03.9

• My youngest daughter video'd it (no I won't punish you by posting it) and I noticed 4 things that I really need to focus on:
    • Stop looking at the wall before the turns
    • Keep my head looking down more during my stroke
    • As I've been feeling for awhile, I am indeed crossing over on my left hand entry. It looks like I quickly adjust and get it outside the center line for the pull, but there's wasted effort.
    • As I got tired, I also started doing the same thing with my right hand when I breathed to the right side.

• All-in-all, I'm quite pleased with the race ... even if my baby beat me.

Submit "Majorly chicked" to Digg Submit "Majorly chicked" to del.icio.us Submit "Majorly chicked" to StumbleUpon Submit "Majorly chicked" to Google

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by couldbebetterfly
    Great times by both of you!

Although I can't believe I'm following workouts set by a guy who's just been chicked by his own little girl
    Thanks ... but, trust me when I say this: you don't want me to start posting her workouts instead!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12