View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sunday Double, Feb. 13

Rate this Entry
by , February 13th, 2012 at 10:32 AM (1346 Views)
Drylands:

RC/ankle/scapular/elbow exercises
kettle ball reverse scoops, 25 x 2 x 15
total ab machine, 130 x 3 x 15
good mornings, 65 1 x 1 8, 75 x 3 x 8
box squats, 135 x 1 x 5 , 145 x 2 x 5 -- I just prefer the power squat machine; I don't like all that weight resting on my shoulders
explosive leg press, 270 x 4 x 12
altitude drops, 10
knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
lateral bunny hops, 3 x 15
standing broad jumps, 2 x 10

Swim/SCY/Solo:

I had planned to go to yoga. But Mr. Fort has a running injury (probably from not going slow enough when he's supposed to be going slow ), and our chiro and I persuaded him to try deep water running. A pool is very foreign to him, so I had to drive him there and throw him in. Since it was somewhat less crowded than usual on the weekend, I decided to do a real workout despite just having done weights.

Warm up:

8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :35
8 x 25 no breather free w/fins @ :35
50 EZ

Main LP Sets:

24 x 50:

8 x 50 back shooters w/fins best average @ 1:30
-- coming right after weights, this was the most unspeakably horrible painful set I've done in recent memory
-- the combo of O2 deprivation and speed on short rest is tough and I probably started out too fast
-- 22 flat, 22 flat, 23 low, 23 low 23 high, 23 high, 23 high, 23 high
200 EZ

8 x 50 fly w/fins @ 100 pace @ 1:30
-- went mid to high 26s, a couple 27 flats
-- this is probably a half second too slow, but a noodler joined my lane after the first 2 and I had do so some single arm strokes and crappy streamlines to avoid collision
200 EZ

8 x 50 breast w/fins @ 100 pace
-- went high 29s-30 flats
200 EZ

Total: 2900

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm feeling quite righteous having a LT set after weights, so I may just loaf and stretch today. Mondays are typically a light workout day for me anyway since Lil Fort only has a half day of school.

I really should have put my compression tights on last night, but I was rushing out to a rare dinner and movie.

Submit "Sunday Double, Feb. 13" to Digg Submit "Sunday Double, Feb. 13" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday Double, Feb. 13" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday Double, Feb. 13" to Google

Updated February 13th, 2012 at 03:00 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

I guess that you are in some kind of mixed-marriage or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    I guess that you are in some kind of mixed-marriage or something.
    Yeah, he's all run and bike and no swim and a total distance/endurance junkie. He wasn't even sure how to get to the pool despite going to HS meets there. lol
    How did he like the water running? Do you have the belt and boots or does the pool have them to use?
    I see a guy doing this at my gym pool nearly every time I'm there, he has his own belt and boots, plus wears a wetsuit.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    How did he like the water running? Do you have the belt and boots or does the pool have them to use?
    I see a guy doing this at my gym pool nearly every time I'm there, he has his own belt and boots, plus wears a wetsuit.
    He was extremely skeptical, being a fuddy duddy. But after talking to some runners and a running coach decided to try it. He's bummed because he's in the meat of training for Boston. He complained he couldn't get his heart rate up. I hadn't thought of boots ... I suppose ankle weights might work too. We have the belt from when Fort Son had an injury during cross country.

Is the wetsuit to keep him warm?
    You are married to a noodler.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    You are married to a noodler.
    At least he's not a large noodler and doesn't hog the whole lane.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    He was extremely skeptical, being a fuddy duddy. But after talking to some runners and a running coach decided to try it. He's bummed because he's in the meat of training for Boston. He complained he couldn't get his heart rate up. I hadn't thought of boots ... I suppose ankle weights might work too. We have the belt from when Fort Son had an injury during cross country.

Is the wetsuit to keep him warm?
    I'll have to check with this guy on the wetsuit. It is just a shortjohn-type, so I suspect for warmth. Although I find the gym pool warm anyway (82-84), even for water walking (tell him it is even more boring than water running). But warmer would probably result in a higher heart rate; it does for me running in summer here.

I think the boots are weighted and help in case you rub the bottom of the pool. The gym pool is 3 to 5' deep, so not the best place for it. This one guy stays in the deeper 1/3 or so, and is generally good with keeping out of the way of swimmers.

Can he bike? Maybe even a stationary bike at the gym? I've gotten my HR up near 150 over the past week (a tough hill program and some good music will do the trick).
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I'll have to check with this guy on the wetsuit. It is just a shortjohn-type, so I suspect for warmth. Although I find the gym pool warm anyway (82-84), even for water walking (tell him it is even more boring than water running). But warmer would probably result in a higher heart rate; it does for me running in summer here.

I think the boots are weighted and help in case you rub the bottom of the pool. The gym pool is 3 to 5' deep, so not the best place for it. This one guy stays in the deeper 1/3 or so, and is generally good with keeping out of the way of swimmers.

Can he bike? Maybe even a stationary bike at the gym? I've gotten my HR up near 150 over the past week (a tough hill program and some good music will do the trick).
    Hadn't heard about water walking ...

Yes, he's a sick cyclist. He was just on the bike 3.5 hours on Sat. with heart rate around 160. But the runners still seem to advise that water running may help the running muscles more than cycling. He has a friend that ran Boston with only 10 miles on the road pre-race because of a running injury exclusively water running. How anyone could stand the boredom of it for hours is beyond me.
    Have you seen much of Pete/Speedo lately? I just realized I haven't seen him blog in a long time and haven't noticed him posting, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Have you seen much of Pete/Speedo lately? I just realized I haven't seen him blog in a long time and haven't noticed him posting, either.
    I've seen him a few times, but only once in the pool. Life is crazy and busy and forcing a temporary swim sabbatical. But he'll be back soon.