View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Tuesday 02142012: Arizona Statehood Day

Rate this Entry
by , February 14th, 2012 at 04:34 PM (94 Views)
on February 14, 1912, President William Howard Taft signed the statehood paperwork to make Arizona the 48th state in the United States

http://www.az100years.org/
there's tons of stuff happening in downtown Phoenix today, but I'm too busy working to partake.
but I will (hopefully) participate in some of the events for the city of Chandler's 100th anniversary in the next month, including a metric century ride:
http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageid=454

thanks to all of you who replied to my last post last week. figures when I'm not paying attention I get some replies to a blog entry...

anyway, I have been working out, but mostly just my usual evening weights. I've been subbing in what had been running with the Hoggan machine (basically a bike for hands) and the stationary bikes.
last night I actually hopped on the treadmill, did a 7 min walk with a 30 sec burst of a jog mixed in.

I did a very short swim on Sunday at the gym (700 yards), most of it walking across the pool. but that got boring fast, so I tried little bits of swimming. it felt ok, so this morning I went back to the gym for more--

300 swim
100 water walk
200 swim
100 water walk
500 pull w/buoy only
100 water walk
300 pull w/buoy + large paddles
100 water walk
4 x 50 breast w/buoy + small paddles
200 pull w/buoy + large paddles
100 swim

TTL: 2500 yards

intervals were exceptionally generous, I mostly ignored the clock. the pace clock is broken again anyway (big surprise), but I was in the water for 45 min.
when I did a 100 water walk it was always 25 forward/25 backward/25 side/25 side. the side walking reminds me of using bands on land.

I tried the last 50 breast with an actual breast kick, but that wasn't going to work. from what I remember, the breast kick is one of the last things to come back after ankle injuries, I'd guess another 2-3 weeks. even then it will feel odd for a while (if it already doesn't feel odd)

the scabs are mostly gone (just a little of a gouge on my right knee), and the ankle is definitely on the mend. may be able to do a team swim workout later this week, or may just start fresh next Monday. it does feel very awkward putting my foot in the swimming mode, after having it in a brace for a while.

a great thing about the gym pool now is that it is shallow, so I can walk, and there are nice stairs, so I don't have to flop around to get out.

to answer some questions from before--

* yes there are ladders and stairs at Kino. the ladders are about mid-way down the pool (my equipment was on the bulkhead). the stairs are at the far end (50m away), and that part of the pool may be covered when it is cold. in retrospect, it probably would have been better to use a ladder. the bulkhead is a good 6" (maybe even a foot) above the waterline. it sounds like they're now back to SCY, which means just the flow-over walls, which shouldn't be a problem.

* I wore my walking boot (the same one from when I broke the foot) for 1-2 days after injury, when I absolutely had to walk, otherwise I was laying on the couch for 3 days. I got a really nice brace from the doctor last week, which really helped (that and another round of prednisol, which took away the remaining swelling).

* I added Tegaderm to my Amazon shopping cart, the 4" x 4-3/4" size. My first aid kit has grown leaps and bounds in the past weeks. I've gone through about 1-1/2 tubes of Neosporin, and countless bandages (started with large, and still using a small one).

* I'm up to 4 x 20 leg raises on the captain's chair. but with the ankle brace adding some weight I think that is more like 22
It is amazing how so many core exercises and machines rely on your feet. these, bicycles (3 x 50) and plain old crunches (3 x 100) have been my staple for the past few weeks (well once I was able to do much of anything).
I could probably do stuff on a Bosu ball, but I'd probably fall off and hurt myself even more
I'll be happy when I can get back to planks. but I'd guess another week or 2.

* I've really been itching to bike again. I could probably actually do the cycling part fine, I've done it fine on stationary bikes at the gym. it is the stopping part I'm afraid of right now. I lean left when I stop, and with the left ankle suspect, I may fall over. I may try a short ride this weekend (mostly a loop with right turns, limiting stops)

Submit "Tuesday 02142012:  Arizona Statehood Day" to Digg Submit "Tuesday 02142012:  Arizona Statehood Day" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday 02142012:  Arizona Statehood Day" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday 02142012:  Arizona Statehood Day" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

most of it walking across the pool. but that got boring fast
    Foam barbells or a noodle would suit you.

I'll be happy when I can get back to planks.
    You could do them from your knees.

Let me know if you need any more advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Foam barbells or a noodle would suit you.

You could do them from your knees.

Let me know if you need any more advice.
    Can't yet use my knees...well my left knee is mostly healed. the right knee I still shouldn't put too much pressure on.

Oh, I've already received tips on what I should get.

The, "inflatable jacket bubble shelter thing," may come in handy for me:
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKqdgvsbfFQ"]The Greatest Bond Gadget of All-Time - YouTube[/nomedia]
    (the first 30 sec of this effectively demonstrate it)