View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Mega Sprinting, Tuesday, Feb 14

Rate this Entry
by , February 14th, 2012 at 08:34 PM (1428 Views)
Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
6 x 25 shooters @ :35
6 x 25 no breather free w/paddles @ :35
4 x 50 torque drill w/paddles @ 1:30
50 EZ

Speed Sets:

Did a workout from sprinter John Elbers' (retired MAC Elite swimmer) blog that I "mastersized." Basically a neuro-sprint set + sprint endurance set. Well, for me it's sprint endurance since "distance oriented" sets are not on my sprinter agenda.

10 x 25 burst to 15 m + cruise @ 1:00
-- dolphin kick on back
50 EZ

8 x 25 burst to 15 m + cruise @ 1:00
-- fast hands breast
50 EZ

6 x 25 burst to 15 m + cruise @ 1:00
-- dolphin kick on belly
50 EZ

4 x 25 burst to 15 m + cruise @ 1:00
-- fast doggy paddle
100 EZ

5 x (broken AFAP 100s w/fins + 150 EZ) @ 6:00-7:00
-- This set could also be characterized as repeat sets of AFAP 25s on short rest.
-- I focused on a target time for each 25.
-- I started out with :15 rest at each 25, but that interval was a pain, so switched it to :30 for the other 4 100s. Much easier to keep track of things.

1 = fly (10, 11, 12, 11 high)
2 = fly (10, 10, 11, 11)
-- happy with this. aside from some fatigue, the difference between 10 & 11 is that I took a breath on the 11s
3 = IM (10, 10, 14, 11)
4 = flutter kick w/board (all 11 lows)
5 = shooter on back (all low 9s, had been hoping I could hold this)

Total: 3350

Massage, 75 minutes:

I was pretty tight, especially the scapular and supraspinatus areas. They break down with no weights + sprinting.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm really tired after that workout! That's a LOT of sprinting yardage for me. Tried to get in a tough workout today, since I'm busy tomorrow with various things. Might make it to the gym though. I obviously need to do more stretching.

I'm way ahead of my GTD pace. I suspect I've been swimming more this year. Swimming is much more pleasant with less lifting and upper body fatigue. I'm doing more speed/race pace work as well so far.

Submit "Mega Sprinting, Tuesday, Feb 14" to Digg Submit "Mega Sprinting, Tuesday, Feb 14" to del.icio.us Submit "Mega Sprinting, Tuesday, Feb 14" to StumbleUpon Submit "Mega Sprinting, Tuesday, Feb 14" to Google

Updated February 14th, 2012 at 09:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

That is a lot more sprinting that I would attempt in one workout.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    That is a lot more sprinting that I would attempt in one workout.
    Yeah, I'm knackered. Maybe it wasn't "master sized" enough. At first I was thinking it was the quantity of bursts. I don't usually do that many. But it more likely was those 20 x AFAP 25s in the broken 100s that are the culprit.

I do feel in better swimming shape than I was last summer and fall. It will be interesting to see if my 100s improve over last year, although I guess I didn't really taper for SCY.
    Funny things are happening -- the sprinter's ahead of her GTD goal and the supposed mid-d/d-guy's behind his goal!

Nice job today.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Funny things are happening -- the sprinter's ahead of her GTD goal and the supposed mid-d/d-guy's behind his goal!

Nice job today.
    Thanks. But you know I set the bar pretty low.
    Amazing, Leslie. Good show.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Amazing, Leslie. Good show.
    Thanks Jimby.

You didn't even make a remark about the lifting ...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    4 = flutter kick w/board (all 11 lows)
    DA-YAM!
    That's insane.

Looks good I may nick this one for Friday. I think I need to do some 100 BR focus tomorrow. Maybe a solid 100 for time and some brokens.
    Les do you have yoga ball and some 2lb weights at home? I can give you some good pt exercises for the scaps/traps/delt area.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    and the supposed mid-d/d-guy's behind his goal!
    If you'd quit all the running on a treadmill stuff, and got in the pool instead, you'd probably be closer to the GTD goal!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    DA-YAM!
    That's insane.

Looks good I may nick this one for Friday. I think I need to do some 100 BR focus tomorrow. Maybe a solid 100 for time and some brokens.
    Actually, that's when I could tell I was getting tired. I have done 10 low AFAPs before. So I thought I might start out with a 10 high. Nope.

I think broken swims are the way to go for 100 training. Of course, you just did some on Monday. You could do Jim Corbeau's pyramid of pain, the 7 x 100 set.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Les do you have yoga ball and some 2lb weights at home? I can give you some good pt exercises for the scaps/traps/delt area.
    Yes, have both. I've been doing a lot of scapular pinching and squeezing. It's a little better, but not great.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    If you'd quit all the running on a treadmill stuff, and got in the pool instead, you'd probably be closer to the GTD goal!!
    He thinks it made him faster in 2009. So hard to determine if this is really true ... I think it may have been other factors. But I think he's on the right track wrt being more athletic and getting stronger.
    Updated February 14th, 2012 at 11:50 PM by The Fortress