View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Wed., Feb. 22

Rate this Entry
by , February 22nd, 2012 at 08:02 PM (2455 Views)
Drylands:

RC/scapular/elbow/ankle rehab
explosive leg press, 270 x 3 x 12
wide grip lat pulldowns, 50 x 3 x 20
good mornings, warm up, 85 x 4 x 8
low row negatives, 50 x 3 x 12
overhead squats, 55 x 3 x 10
standing broad jumps, 10*
knee tuck jumps, 10
TRX squat jumps, 15
captains chair leg raises, 30
power wheel roll outs, 25
long arm crunches, 50
TRX moving planks, 20

* I have no idea what is "good" for a standing broad jump. Rich A told me he was doing 8 feet, which seems pretty far. I think I was doing approx 6 feet today or a couple inches short of that.

Stretching/Yoga/Foam roller, 30 minutes

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tried to go to yoga after the gym, but got stuck in traffic. Oh well. I haven't been as jazzed about yoga these days anyway. No idea why. Maybe I've been spending too much time doing all those $#*&%+* rehab exercises.

I'm attaching an ancient picture from 1975 today that I ran across. James chimed right in reminding me that he hadn't been born then. Very primitive blocks and it doesn't look like anyone was wearing goggles. I'm told this was a 100 free LCM race, which seems very un-Fort like.

Fort Son does have mono. I'm really bummed for him. Doc thinks he's had it since December training trip when he was very sick.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1706_105991325051_797920051_5159474_7024_n.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	6797  

Submit "Wed., Feb. 22" to Digg Submit "Wed., Feb. 22" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed., Feb. 22" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed., Feb. 22" to Google

Updated February 22nd, 2012 at 09:47 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Was that in the summer of '75? If so, I was about a month or two old when that photo was taken :-))

Sorry to hear about Fort Son. Any idea how long it will taken him to recover?
    James chimed right in reminding me that he hadn't been born then.

I'm usually good about reminding people about things like this.
    Leslie, which lane are you in? The sideburns do indicate the 70's, but those suits look pretty tight. My first lycra suit was in 1976. Remember the Rothhammer suit with the snaps?
    Great pic.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    Was that in the summer of '75? If so, I was about a month or two old when that photo was taken :-))

Sorry to hear about Fort Son. Any idea how long it will taken him to recover?
    Yep, summer of 1975. Gotta love those lane lines. The pool is still there, though totally renovated.

Not sure. Depends when he really got it. It's a really tough 6-8 weeks. When Teen Fort had mono, it was three bad months and it ruined almost an entire summer swim season.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhenderson
    Leslie, which lane are you in? The sideburns do indicate the 70's, but those suits look pretty tight. My first lycra suit was in 1976. Remember the Rothhammer suit with the snaps?
    Lane 5. No idea what I was doing with my arms. I remember those suits. I was so excited to get my first one!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Great pic.
    Thanks, a friend sent it to me. A real blast from the past!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1

I'm usually good about reminding people about things like this.
    Everyone needs a good ribbing! I will not take it as an insult since I try not to look my age.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Everyone needs a good ribbing! I will not take it as an insult since I try not to look my age.
    I thought it was a good thing in USMS to be ???
    low row negatives
    Exotic! Have you done this before? Is this the HS low row, or cable row, or something else?
    IIRC standing broad jump should be judged as a function of height or more accurately inseam length.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I thought it was a good thing in USMS to be ???
    Good to age up but not look like you have!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Exotic! Have you done this before? Is this the HS low row, or cable row, or something else?
    Yes, HS. It was ridiculously low weight, I know, but I am just trying to do something to strengthen the scapular area while not hurting the elbows. Negatives are good for eccentric strength, right? And eccentric exercises are good for tendons.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    IIRC standing broad jump should be judged as a function of height or more accurately inseam length.
    That makes sense. So I'm jumping further than my height at least.
    Negatives are good for eccentric strength, right?
    Sounds a bit circular to me but yeah I especially like negatives for isolation exercises. I always do calves that way.

Also, I'm a bit infatuated with that HS low row right now. I'm excited to do some sets on it tomorrow.
    Sounds a bit circular to me but yeah I especially like negatives for isolation exercises. I always do calves that way.

Also, I'm a bit infatuated with that HS low row right now. I'm excited to do some sets on it tomorrow.
    I have never done a calf exercise in my life. Probably stupid. I should be doing calf raises, I'm sure ...

How are the knees holding up on your box jumps? Done any depth drops yet?
    I have never done a calf exercise in my life. Probably stupid. I should be doing calf raises, I'm sure ...

How are the knees holding up on your box jumps? Done any depth drops yet?
    Not going to do depth drops. The entire reason I do box jumps instead of broad jumps or anything else is the soft landing. It is pretty easy on my knees, and my jumping height has gotten much better since I started.
    dang, hope he gets better, mono takes a while.
    Last time I tested standing broad jump, (10 or 15 years ago) think I was around 9' 6", I was younger skinnier & stronger. Wonder what I could do now?

You can make significant gains just from improving your jumping technique.

Tim Ferris wrote some tips in 4Hr body
    Hacking the Combine
    http://www.4hbtalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=48
    LOVE the pic, and the rainbow of suits for everyone!

Sorry to hear about your son, I hope he can lick it sooner, rather than later.
    Not going to do depth drops. The entire reason I do box jumps instead of broad jumps or anything else is the soft landing. It is pretty easy on my knees, and my jumping height has gotten much better since I started.
    Which size box are you jumping on? One reason I do more of the drops & jumps is that I'm worried I'll smash into the box if I go up higher.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast