View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Thursday, Feb. 23

Rate this Entry
by , February 23rd, 2012 at 04:18 PM (2690 Views)
Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
6 x 25 shooters
5 x 50 single arm fly @ 1:00
5 x 50 free w/paddles @ :50
50 EZ

Speed/Power Sets:

12 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
8 speed drills, 4 dolphin
50 EZ

6 x 50 "accelerations" w/fins @ 1:15
odds = 25 kick down to bottom of pool w/kickboard, jump off bottom, sprint flutter kick to wall from dead start + 25 EZ
evens = 25 swim free to mid pool, flip turn, dive down and squat jump off bottom of pool, sprint to wall from dead start + 25 EZ
75 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP backstroke from blocks
-- rolling start
-- 29 flat
175 EZ

8 x 25 AFAP back shooters w/MF @ 1:00
-- was hoping to hold high 8s and I did
150 EZ

8 x 25 w/parachute @ 1:15
4 = free w/paddles & fins
4 = back shooters
100 EZ

Total: 2900

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tired from that effort. I may do workout #5 from the HIT forum tomorrow: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=20228"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame].

I am in desperate need of a tech suit. I have an ancient LZR Elite and a another pretty used one with two small holes in it. I sent back the FS3 I ordered last week. So I went ahead and pre-ordered the Arena Carbon Pro closed back kneeskin. The problem is is doesn't come out for awhile and I have the Albatross meet that I'd like to swim well at on March 17. (Haven't decided how much to rest yet ...) I may have to order another suit as a back up. Not sure if I should order another LZR Elite or the new Arena X-Glide. I haven't worn Arena suits before, so I'm not sure how they fit. Anyone have experience with them?

Submit "Thursday, Feb. 23" to Digg Submit "Thursday, Feb. 23" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, Feb. 23" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, Feb. 23" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to make anyone upset with this comment, nor am I trying to start a suit war...just a comment.
    Thanks. Have a nice day.

----------------------------

Honestly, about your suit situation, you'll swim fast in just about any suit you put on. It's more based on your training in preparation for the event, rather than just the suit for the event itself.
    In comparison, it would be like giving your LZR suit to your neighbor down the road and making them into a superstar swimmer just by putting it on.
    I think you're worrying too much about the suit. Just wear the ancient LZR or one of the others you currently have and save a few bucks till the Arena one comes in.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Disclaimer: I'm not trying to make anyone upset with this comment, nor am I trying to start a suit war...just a comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Thanks. Have a nice day.

----------------------------

Honestly, about your suit situation, you'll swim fast in just about any suit you put on. It's more based on your training in preparation for the event, rather than just the suit for the event itself.
    In comparison, it would be like giving your LZR suit to your neighbor down the road and making them into a superstar swimmer just by putting it on.
    I think you're worrying too much about the suit. Just wear the ancient LZR or one of the others you currently have and save a few bucks till the Arena one comes in.

LOL!

No, I'm not wearing my ancient kneeskin. These suits simply don't last forever. Very quickly, they stretch out and lose all water repellency. You can see the difference between an old suit and new suit just by seeing them wet -- water beads up on the new one. Plus, when the suits get older, you risk a rip.

Now it would have been nice if the kneeskin I purchased for Auburn last July wouldn't have sprung a hole on the second day I wore it. Otherwise, I would have worn that a few more meets. But that too is the risk with the tech suits, which is why I preferred the B70s -- much more durable.

Also, I still have a couple records on the brain this year that were set in the full body tech suits. I'd like to give myself the best chance possible. Suits do make a marginal difference. And you must have a back up. It's pretty common to have 2 suits and rotate them.

Now, that said, I agree that training is the most important thing -- by far. And I've been training pretty well (possibly because I'm not lifting as much though). Race execution is also huge.
    Updated February 23rd, 2012 at 08:53 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    I'm not sure James knows my full history as a tech suit addict.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I'm not sure James knows my full history as a tech suit addict.
    It doesn't take much to figure that out. I was just trying to save you .
    It doesn't take much to figure that out. I was just trying to save you .
    Too bad I'm not a guy! I could get a great jammer for $100. We women may have more coverage, to Jimby's chagrin, but we are stuck with more expensive suits that don't last long.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Too bad I'm not a guy! I could get a great jammer for $100. We women may have more coverage, to Jimby's chagrin, but we are stuck with more expensive suits that don't last long.
    I have yet to use a "great" jammer, or brief, or whatever the heck kind of suit. To me, great is $$$$ saved. I can race fast in whatever, but that's just me!!
    I have yet to use a "great" jammer, or brief, or whatever the heck kind of suit. To me, great is $$$$ saved. I can race fast in whatever, but that's just me!!
    That is just you! You odd bird. You also don't like to rest between events and swim long freestyle events butterfly. I am relatively normal in comparison.
    Do you not have a good swim shop in VA? We have one in Dallas that has been outfitting female swimmers in the latest and greatest suits for 20 some odd years. I don't ask questions because I am a boy, but I imagine females go and ask about the suits, try on the suits, ask more questions, stop by the MAC counter, then buy the suit that matches their shoes.

I am pretty sure chowmi can confirm my story and probably knows Don well since I have never seen her in a suit more than six months old.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Do you not have a good swim shop in VA? We have one in Dallas that has been outfitting female swimmers in the latest and greatest suits for 20 some odd years. I don't ask questions because I am a boy, but I imagine females go and ask about the suits, try on the suits, ask more questions, stop by the MAC counter, then buy the suit that matches their shoes.

I am pretty sure chowmi can confirm my story and probably knows Don well since I have never seen her in a suit more than six months old.
    Precisely how it works! For kids. Being old and grizzled and flabby, masters like to try on their tech suits in the privacy of their home. Where they can curse and moan and take breaks when they start to sweat from trying on exertion.

We do have a couple swim shops. And they seem to only stock Speedo. Having checked out the new FS3 there and heard the complaints, I'm underwhelmed. I ordered an Arena and will see if it fits. If not, I'll send it back and try again.

I have even persuaded Chowmi to consider a departure from Speedo!