View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Vid+ recovery Swim, Monday, March 5

Rate this Entry
Video from Warrenton Meet:

Here is the vid from my 27.46 50 back yesterday. I'm in lane 6. Thank you Margaret Conze for videoing. I'm grateful to have it! Compared to my 28.23 50 back vid from the Sprint Classic last October, I can say that: (1) my under waters were decidedly better, especially on the second 25; (2) my turnover may have been ever so slightly faster, and (3) I stuck the finish better. 33 kicks, 19 strokes.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_-j4PC16zI&feature=share"]Leslie's new 50 SCY Backstroke National Record Swim - YouTube[/nomedia]

Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

20 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :35-:40

6 x (5 x 50)
5 single arm fly
5 single arm back
5 breast dolphin
5 DPS free
5 caterpillar fly drill
5 various sculls

100 free
100 DAB

Total: 2700

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm sore from the meet, but actually felt pretty good in the water. Just swam smooth; pure recovery swim. My plan is to hit it hard this week, then do a 5 day drop taper/rest for the Albatross meet next Saturday. After listening to our complaints about mixed gender heats, Jeff Roddin has separated men and women for the 50s. But after a meet of all 50s, I'm still leaning toward doing the 100 fly/100 IM and something else (maybe 50 free at the end). After Albatross, I'll kill it until 3 weeks before Nats and then start tapering.

Submit "Vid+ recovery Swim, Monday, March 5" to Digg Submit "Vid+ recovery Swim, Monday, March 5" to del.icio.us Submit "Vid+ recovery Swim, Monday, March 5" to StumbleUpon Submit "Vid+ recovery Swim, Monday, March 5" to Google

Updated March 6th, 2012 at 11:19 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Congrats on your swims, very nice! But I couldn't help but notice it was a mixed-gender heat...I guess it can't hurt TOO much...
    What's wrong with mixed gender heats? That Guy got schooled in the 50 Fly last weekend by an "other gender" person.

And plus...according to the video, you beat everyone anyway, so why not just swim combined genders??
    That is a huge drop in time in a very short time period from Oct to March.

I loved watching your 50 -- you timed your start underwater SDK perfectly, coming up about the 14.75M mark and you gained even further off the field off your turn. I was impressed with the time ... more impressed now that I've seen the swim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    Congrats on your swims, very nice! But I couldn't help but notice it was a mixed-gender heat...I guess it can't hurt TOO much...
    I've decided it doesn't hurt too much in backstroke since I'm underwater so much. Still, I would NOT want to swim next to Clay.

I sandbagged my time in the 50 fly to stay out of the last heat because I think women can get jostled around a lot in fly. And the lanes are narrow at this pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    What's wrong with mixed gender heats? That Guy got schooled in the 50 Fly last weekend by an "other gender" person.

And plus...according to the video, you beat everyone anyway, so why not just swim combined genders??
    This is a topic that was debated ad nauseum on another thread long ago.

Two issues. Many women do not like swimming in mixed gender heats because men are bigger (usually, unless you're a skinny Jeff Roddin) and we get hit with their waves. Also, because men (generally, not always) are faster, women often end up in the outside lanes at mixed gender meets. At many pools, this is a disadvantage. You may dismiss it, but it bothers people.
    Super swim. Perfect start, underwaters, turn, and finish. Once you were up, your turnover was quick. So glad you have video of it, so all can share. Great job.
    Leslie,
    way to SDK
    love your surprised look
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    That is a huge drop in time in a very short time period from Oct to March.

I loved watching your 50 -- you timed your start underwater SDK perfectly, coming up about the 14.75M mark and you gained even further off the field off your turn. I was impressed with the time ... more impressed now that I've seen the swim.
    Thanks Patrick.

I was pretty sick for a couple weeks before the Sprint Classic last October. I think that may have taken a lot out of me. I didn't feel the power then that I felt yesterday. And I agree, huge drop, I still can't quite believe I swam that time. I never in a million years expected to see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhenderson
    Super swim. Perfect start, underwaters, turn, and finish. Once you were up, your turnover was quick. So glad you have video of it, so all can share. Great job.
    Thanks Kristin. It's a very rare race when everything goes so perfectly. I certainly won't expect that kind of magic every time. But am exceedingly happy to have pulled off to start 2012 off with a bang!
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    Leslie,
    way to SDK
    love your surprised look
    Thanks Ande. You can see I really have taken your advice to heart. I honestly never thought I'd see sub 28 again without the full body tech suits. But training can apparently overcome the lack of float.
    You just crushed everyone with that underwater work, not to mention the rapid fire turnover.

The little engine that could.
    Excellent swim! Congratulations on the record!!
    Speedy!
    Thanks chowmi and Stud!

Thanks Val. One of my teammates remarked after my 50 fly that it looked like I was "working harder" than the other swimmers. I think this was mainly a comment on my turnover. Perhaps fast turnover can make up for a lack of height in some cases. And staying underwater certainly helped me stay away from those splashy boys next to me! Oh, and uber backstroker Susan Williams in lane 4 has excellent under waters too. She had just swum the 100 back about 20 minutes earlier or it would have been closer!
    Updated March 5th, 2012 at 11:00 PM by The Fortress
    Honestly I'm not sure why you don't go after the 100 as well. The strength training let's you rip through 11 strokes as if the water was thin air. Another 2 laps should be cake.

It's very entertaining to watch by the way. Congratulations once again.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Honestly I'm not sure why you don't go after the 100 as well. The strength training let's you rip through 11 strokes as if the water was thin air. Another 2 laps should be cake.

It's very entertaining to watch by the way. Congratulations once again.

I have my eye on the 100 SCY back record. But I'm going to wait until Nationals to swim it. When I swam the 100 in SCM last March at Albatross and broke the WR, I focused on on fast under waters and easy speed above water until the last 25. Turnover was much slower than this 50. But, with the increased lactate work I've been doing (and quite a few broken 100s), I should be able to speed up the turnover.

I think my upper body strength is weaker than prior seasons. Though I've been trying to maintain with stretch cordz, parachute, paddles.
    Updated March 6th, 2012 at 11:20 AM by The Fortress
    Interesting. At the end of the day, methinks that your kick work is more a contributing factor than the land training.

But by reading what you do in the gym, you are in no way lacking strength. The kids probably give you the brand new peanut butter jar to open every time over Dad.
    Most of my kick work is with fins and MF, so I'm still strength training when I do it. But it is very swim specific. One aspect of drylands that I know translates to sprints are my plyos. They really help you off the blocks and walls. I also think I have relatively strong glute/hip muscles, which help the dolphin kick as well. I certainly havent suffered much from lack of upper body lifting. Though I suspect that helps most in free, which I rarely swim.

Mr. Fort is very strong. He is very lean from all the running, but has lifted 3x a week his whole life.