View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

My dream goggles

Rate this Entry
This morning I had a relaxing swim at the Y with Rondi. The pool was hopping todaywe swam with four in our narrow lane for much of the workout, and the other lanes were full toobut everyone was fairly polite and things worked out fine. Heres what I did:

1000 scy warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200 RIM d/s)

400 FR drills and spl stuff

4 x 100 FR @ 1:45 desc.

500s with traveling backstroke
50 BK/ 400 FR / 50 BK
50 FR / 50 BK / 300 FR / 50 BK / 50 FR
100 FR / 50 BK / 200 FR / 50 BK / 100 FR
150 FR / 50 BK / 100 FR / 50 BK / 150 FR
200 FR / 100 BK / 200 FR
[I did 450s on most of these.]

450, prime-numbered lengths = kick on back, non-primes = FR swim
400, prime-numbered lengths = FR swim, non-primes = kick on back [I did this as a warmdown]

One of our lanemates today was pretty amusing. During warmup he announced he was going to do some IM, and wondered if he should go to another lane for that. I looked over at the next-fastest lane, where there were also 4 swimmers, 2 of whom seemed ill-tempered and 1 of whom insisted on swimming down the middle of the lane (which might have explained the ill-temperedness, or not). I told him he would be better off staying in the fast lane, since if he moved he would both be doing IM and be much faster than his lanemates, whereas if he stayed he would just be doing IM. It wasnt the most diplomatic thing Ive ever told someone, but he seemed please with even the tepid encouragement to stick around. Turned out he meant it when he said he was doing IMshe did 200 IMs one after the other all through our traveling 500s set. It turned out his workout consisted of 500 warmup20x200 IMs500 warmdown, mostly done as continuous swimming.

The other strange thing was that after about 15 of his IMs he stopped, turned to us, and abruptly asked me how old I was. I still have no idea why he wanted to know. I must have been looking highly questionable today, for some reasonthe lady beside me in the locker room decided to start a conversation by asking how big my feet were. (When I told her my shoe size, she looked disappointed, but then insisted, But they are narrow, I can see they are narrow. Not really, but I didnt argue.) The Y can be a strange place. Sometimes I am tempted to wear earphones around, just so I can pretend not to hear people.

After swimming we went upstairs for weights. My big excitement today was that I added some plates to my bench pressIve graduated from just doing the bar! Onwards and upwards. . . .

One final thought: When I was swimming this morning I was thinking how nice it would be to have goggles that are kind of like a periscope (or half a periscope?), that allowed you to see straight ahead when your eyes were facing the bottom of the pool. It would be useful to watch your hand entry from underwater, plus it would eliminate the temptation to look forward to see how close you are to others in the lane. Would it be hard to make some gogglesor a mask, since it might require a little more depth than goggles would afford--with little mirrors in the bottom angled so they provided a view ahead? Or would that be too close to your eyes to allow you to focus properly? I have seen ads for [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Reizen-Prism-Bed-Spectacles/dp/B003I7HOF6/ref=pd_bxgy_t_text_b"]glasses with mirrors that allow you to read in bed[/ame] without propping up your headmaybe something like that could be turned upside down and put in a waterproof case. If someone would invent this I would consider buying it!

Submit "My dream goggles" to Digg Submit "My dream goggles" to del.icio.us Submit "My dream goggles" to StumbleUpon Submit "My dream goggles" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

The Y can be a strange place. Sometimes I am tempted to wear earphones around, just so I can pretend not to hear people.
    Oh good, I thought it was just my Y in particular!
    The Y can be a strange place. Sometimes I am tempted to wear earphones around, just so I can pretend not to hear people.
    If you weren't in NYC where every possible language is spoken, I'd suggest you learn some obscure tongue and simply respond in that whenever you get these oddball questions. Maybe take up Gikuyu ([ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gikuyu_language[/ame]) -- Google Translate doesn't support this, so maybe that's a good place to start. Just keep asking these strangers, "Wĩ mũrata?"
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    Oh good, I thought it was just my Y in particular!
    Actually, the IM guy today was visiting NYC . . . from Wisconsin! I'm not kidding!! Coincidence?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    If you weren't in NYC where every possible language is spoken, I'd suggest you learn some obscure tongue and simply respond in that whenever you get these oddball questions. Maybe take up Gikuyu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gikuyu_language) -- Google Translate doesn't support this, so maybe that's a good place to start. Just keep asking these strangers, "Wĩ mũrata?"
    Ha! I like that idea!
    Actually, I'm pretty good at just smiling confusedly and nodding slightly when faced with odd questions and remarks--not by design, but because I usually can't think what in the world to say. I'm sure plenty of people just assume I don't speak the language very well.