View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Workout with team, and more

Rate this Entry
This morning I went to the morning TNYA workout at John Jay college. Brad coached, and I had a lane full of good lanemateslots of camaraderie and banter made the time fly. Heres what I did:

750 scy warmup: 250 swim, 200 pull, 150 kick, 100 IM, 50 double-arm backstroke

7 x 50 pieces of IM @ :55 (fl, fl/bk, bk, bk/br, br, br/fr, fr)

Main set
300 pull @ 4:30
2 x 200 FR @ 3:00
3 x 100 IM @ 1:40
4 x 50 kick @ 1:00
100 ez
1:00 rest
300 pull @ 4:15
2 x 200 IM @ 3:30
3 x 100 FR desc. @ 1:30, 1:25, 1:30
4 x 50 kick @ 1:00
100 easy

2 x 125 (75 build, :15 rest, 25 sprint, :15 rest, 25 sprint) @ 3:00

300 warmdown

TNYAs workout finishes at 8, and I was meeting a friend at 9:30 for weights at the Y, about 10 minutes away. This morning when I was packing my bag I was puzzling on what I would do with the time in betweenmy plan had been to row, but I did rowing class last night and wasnt excited about more of that again so soon. Then I remembered that years ago I had bought a pass for lap swimming at the pool where TNYAs workout was held, but never used it more than a couple of times. Lap swimming starts right after practice ends so . . . since I was told when I bought it (in the late 1990s!) that it never expired, I decided today would be a good time to test that. It worked! I got to stay and swim for another good bit before heading over to the Y. Thats a good thing to know about for days when I want to do some longer swimsthe colleges lap swim hours on Thursday are from 8-6, and today I had my own lane the whole time I stayed (and indeed, for most of the swim, my own pool).

I decided to do the rest of the HVT workout I had started on Tuesday, with the IM distances tweaked a bit (Hannahs suggestion). It was supposed to be a quality IM set, but I got pretty tired and hungry after the first round and the quality started slipping away fast:

10 x 25 @ :45, odds fast (4 bk, 3 br, 2 fr, 1 fl)
100 IM fast @ 1:30 [1:16]
4 x 50 recovery FR @ 1:00

10 x 25 @ :40, odds fast (4 br, 3 fr, 2 fl, 1 bk)
200 IM fast @ 3:30 [3:02]

10 x 25 @ :35, odds fast (4 fr, 3 fl, 2 bk, 1 br)
400 IM fast @ 6:30 [6:20]

300 warmdown + play

That was itI like that set and want to return to it on a day when I can do all four rounds in the same workout, and give it the good effort it deserves.

Weights were fun to do with a friend, and afterwards I was pretty tired. But then, on the way home, I got a message from swim buddy John that he was headed out to the beach! I was really glad. The morning after my little adventure with the spider crabs on Tuesday (they more or less frightened me out of the water), I had woken up thinking You know, those crabsthey were really kind of neat! I kept on thinking about them, and really wanted to see them again, but I knew they would probably be gone by the weekend. So when I got Johns message, I decided to to head out to the beach as well, just in case they were still there. I knew there was a good chance they wouldnt bewildlife sightings are pretty transitory at the beachbut I at least wanted to go check it out.

I quickly packed a lunch and some work for the subway and headed out. When the train surfaced in Brooklyn I just watched the stations go by through the windowit was a gloriously warm sunny day, and a lot of the trees are already in full flower. The sky was a beautiful cloudless blue . . . until about half a stop from the beach. Then the fog enveloped the train, and there was just white all around.

I arrived and met up with John and his friend around 1, and we stayed until 3, and the whole time a thick white mist hung over the sea and beach. It was eerily beautiful. A medley of foghorns played out over the lapping of the water. The tide was out further than Ive ever seen it. I walked along the waters edge, down to the long jettywhich today extended only about 10 yards into the water. I think I could have waded around the end of it. Rocks that usually stay underwater were exposed, and I looked closely at the carpet of bivalves that covered them. I watched one crab that had gotten trapped between rocks by the outgoing tide sheltering under them.

Several seagulls were feeding on crabsI didnt see any spiders among themand there was the detritus of a crab feast all around themlots of legs and claws and shells spread out all over the intertidal zone. There was a single enormous horseshoe crab covered with barnacles near the waters edge, and as I watched a woman dragged it further ashore so some children could get a closer look at it. There were a lot of folks walking along the strand examining things.

When I got back to the blankets John and I decided to go for a dip. I wasnt looking to swim much after this mornings workout, but I did want to go out and see if I could see any more crabs on the bottom. Alas, the visibility wasnt good enough to see much today. After I got used to the water temperature, I floated on my back for a while and looked up at the mist. The ice bath felt good on my sore muscles, and I felt peaceful and happy. It didnt take much to get out beyond where I could see the shore. After a bit I swam in.

It was a pretty cool day at the beach, even without the spider crabs and without the sun. By the time I headed back to the subway, the mist had burned off on the other side of the boardwalk but was still as thick as ever over the sand and sea. I headed back to the city, happy to get in a bonus visit to the shore.

Submit "Workout with team, and more" to Digg Submit "Workout with team, and more" to del.icio.us Submit "Workout with team, and more" to StumbleUpon Submit "Workout with team, and more" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Enjoyed your description of the near shore and marine activity. Wondering if you are a writer or should be. Great swim sets, and a bay swim on 3/22. Take care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Enjoyed your description of the near shore and marine activity. Wondering if you are a writer or should be. Great swim sets, and a bay swim on 3/22. Take care.
    Thanks Sojerz! I've become so entranced with the seashore--I never spent much time outdoors growing up, and now I'm just fascinated by all I see, and making up for lost time figuring out how it all fits together.

I'm trying to decipher your avatar--is that a building, or maybe some kind of stadium or playing field with a scoreboard?
    It's the left field scoreboard and seats at the Phillies' Citizens Bank Park on the day of the parade for the 2008 World Series. I became a baseball fan growing up on LI in the 50s (Giants, Dodgers and Yankees) and even more so in the mid-60s when i lived in Hartford and the improbable '67 Red Sox went to the World Series. After moving to south jersey i bought a partial season ticket in about '76 and have been gong to about 17+ games per year ever since. i enjoy the pace of the game and just watching the drama unfold. Never the same. 1980 and 2008 were special seasons, and so i posted a pic of the 2008 scoreboard for good karma and luck as the season begins - guess it's not very clear at that small size.

Most of my childhood was spent on LI's south shore in the Bay and Ocean or in the Sound. We lived within 1/2 mi of the bay and my grandparents had a summer home on the north shore in Wading River overlookiing the sound. I was able to spend many (perhaps 1000s) of days just fishing, swimming and hanging out on the beach. And, after moving to New Engalnd, we frequented the RI shore to surf and now in south jersey, the Jersey Shore (sans snookie) and Outer Banks, NC -- my favorite spot on the planet.
    On LI a friend that I swam with had a boat in the bay (as did my grandfather on the north shore) and we would frequently take his boat, when we were about 11-12+, across Great South Bay to Fire Island to get to the Ocean (there was no Fire Island Bridge back then, so you could only access those beaches by private boat or public ferry. (That freedom at 11 ro 12 is a little unimaginable in todays world)

Sometimes we would find horseshoe crabs or starfish by the thousands + washed up on the beach, many dead but a few still alive. They horshoe crabs may appear to be one the ugliest of creatures, that is until you really watch them or look up close and think about how ancient and timeless they seem to be. You can pick them up by the tail or by the shell (then watch out for their tail) to look underneath. I think they are great cleaners of the ocean bottom (jswim may know for sure), so give them a hand to get back in if you find one stranded. Although some crabs might try to pinch your toes in the water, they are basically harmless - so keep your eyes out for the amazing fiddler crabs in the surf, dig up some sand crabs in the surf too, and look for the ghost crabs with a flashlight on the beach at night (i think mostly VA and OBX and perhaps further south). Keep writing/musing, it's terrific.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    It's the left field scoreboard and seats at the Phillies' Citizens Bank Park on the day of the parade for the 2008 World Series. I became a baseball fan growing up on LI in the 50s (Giants, Dodgers and Yankees) and even more so in the mid-60s when i lived in Hartford and the improbable '67 Red Sox went to the World Series. After moving to south jersey i bought a partial season ticket in about '76 and have been gong to about 17+ games per year ever since. i enjoy the pace of the game and just watching the drama unfold. Never the same. 1980 and 2008 were special seasons, and so i posted a pic of the 2008 scoreboard for good karma and luck as the season begins - guess it's not very clear at that small size.

Most of my childhood was spent on LI's south shore in the Bay and Ocean or in the Sound. We lived within 1/2 mi of the bay and my grandparents had a summer home on the north shore in Wading River overlookiing the sound. I was able to spend many (perhaps 1000s) of days just fishing, swimming and hanging out on the beach. And, after moving to New Engalnd, we frequented the RI shore to surf and now in south jersey, the Jersey Shore (sans snookie) and Outer Banks, NC -- my favorite spot on the planet.
    On LI a friend that I swam with had a boat in the bay (as did my grandfather on the north shore) and we would frequently take his boat, when we were about 11-12+, across Great South Bay to Fire Island to get to the Ocean (there was no Fire Island Bridge back then, so you could only access those beaches by private boat or public ferry. (That freedom at 11 ro 12 is a little unimaginable in todays world)

Sometimes we would find horseshoe crabs or starfish by the thousands + washed up on the beach, many dead but a few still alive. They horshoe crabs may appear to be one the ugliest of creatures, that is until you really watch them or look up close and think about how ancient and timeless they seem to be. You can pick them up by the tail or by the shell (then watch out for their tail) to look underneath. I think they are great cleaners of the ocean bottom (jswim may know for sure), so give them a hand to get back in if you find one stranded. Although some crabs might try to pinch your toes in the water, they are basically harmless - so keep your eyes out for the amazing fiddler crabs in the surf, dig up some sand crabs in the surf too, and look for the ghost crabs with a flashlight on the beach at night (i think mostly VA and OBX and perhaps further south). Keep writing/musing, it's terrific.
    Wow, what an idyllic childhood! I'm currently reading a couple of books that feature life on and in those waters: Carl Safina's "The View from Lazy Point" and Roger Rosenblatt's "Kayak Morning." Both are beautiful tributes to the rhythm of life lived near the shore.

I got to see the horseshoe crab invasion last year! I swam out at Coney Island on consecutive days--on the first I saw a single pair mating, then the very next day there were just tons of them marching across the bottom. It was amazing. And yes, I got to see the underside of one, up close!

I have gotten pinched by more regular-looking crabs in the sand (one even drew blood), and I often see them waving their claws around as I swim above them. I used to think they were threatening me, but I read somewhere that males do that claw-waving thing to attract mates. And I've seen lots of ghost crabs down in Florida!

Thanks for the explanation of the picture. I've grown to enjoy relaxed rhythm of baseball over the last couple of decades too, but I don't go to a ton of games like you. I root for the Yankees. And over the same time period I've kind of lost my taste for basketball . . . but I did enjoy this one article on this year's NCAA tournament: http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...ould_win_.html Maybe someone could do that sort of analysis--set in a pool, of course--for the event finals at the NCAA swimming champs!