View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Marbles

Rate this Entry
by , April 4th, 2012 at 11:33 PM (93 Views)
In many of my freestyle races over the last year or so and very often in workouts, in spite of sometimes swimming decent times, I have felt like I was losing my marbles trying to find my stroke, trying to catch the water in the right way, trying to connect arms to my hips to my kick. While I tried to do some technique work on my drills and tried to focus on my technique while training, I felt like I wasn't getting the stroke put back together again. I needed professional help and finally managed to squeeze in a lesson with Anne Wilson, the TI-trained coach who I worked with quite frequently in 2009 (recognize the guy doing the drill here -- http://www.camelbackcoaching.com/swim). It was well worth it. I had a number of complaints going into the session mostly centered around feeling like I had no control over my left hand and arm; some twinges in my left shoulder of late helped reinforce that I was doing something wrong. Anne noticed a lot of things to work on and we set about doing a mixture of drills (skate, zipper skate and zipper switch) before settling into some focused work on sculling. The work was very elemental, but Anne gave me a great way to think about holding the water on my sculling -- trying to imagine I had marbles in the palm of my hand and that, as I sculled, my goal was to not lose the marbles. This really crystallized feeling constant pressure, getting continuous "grip" on the water as I sculled. We almost never do any full swimming during these hour-long sessions, but I did finish up with one 25 (actually about 30M given one extra long lane at the pool she trains from) of swimming. As Anne noted and I felt, my stroke was already crisper and more connected. I'll only get in one more session before Nationals (time and $$ constraints), but I've got some very concrete ideas to work on during my drills over the next 3 weeks. So glad I did this ...

Submit "Marbles" to Digg Submit "Marbles" to del.icio.us Submit "Marbles" to StumbleUpon Submit "Marbles" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Interesting, is your heart rate elevated like when swimming?
    How come all your blog posts lately remind me of songs?
    BORKED

Anyway, I think this is great. I'd love to get some one-on-one technique coaching sometime.