View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Vids & Recovery Swim, Tuesday, May 1

Rate this Entry
Swim/SCY/Solo:

I did almost the exact workout from the HIT forum today:
[ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?p=265890#post265890"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

WORKOUT #1: RECOVERY

Warm up:

600 various
5 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ :15 RI
8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :20 RI

Main Sets:

6 x 250 @ :15-:20 RI

200 flutter kick w/board & fins + 50 scull
2 x (200 IM drill + 50 kick)
200 backstroke kick + 50 scull)
2 x (200 stroke + 50 kick)
-- 1 backstroke, 1 breaststroke
50 EZ

6 x 75 kick @ :20 RI
25 shooter + 50 kick

100 EZ

Total: 3150

-- Still pretty tired from travel/meet/sleep deprivation. Last night was the first really good night's sleep I'd had in ages.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

VIDEOS:

50 BACK, 27.24

Elaine filmed this and got a very close up view. (Thanks!) I know Speedo and Water Rat have views from above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FRuV...ature=youtu.be

My start was somewhat flat. I need to work on flicking my toes, I guess. I counted 9 & 10 strokes on the first and second 25s (not counting the free pull on the turn) and 15 kicks on both lengths. Hit the 15 meter mark on the first length perfectly, though I can hear Elaine worrying that I'd kick past it. (I hear that on all my 50 back vids. ) I can't tell how close to the 15 m mark on the second length I was because of the close up. As Speedo mentioned to me, I did veer off toward the lane line going into the first turn, but managed to return to the center off the turn. Still a bit shellshocked that I went a 27 low. Teen Fort's high school team would love me on their medley relay. Ha!

50 Fly, 26.31

Here is Stud's vid. It shows I have a pretty darn good lead coming off the turn for a 50.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp0joOc_twk"]Leslie 50 Fly 2012 Nats - YouTube[/nomedia]

100 Fly, 1:02.2 (29.4/32.3)

Stud and Elaine video'd this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOBIe...ature=youtu.be
(I think Stud needs to make this viewable.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twKrW...ature=youtu.be

I'm in lane 6. I had a great start, right at the 15 meter mark, just barely legal. I had a terrible god awful first turn with a huge glide, which was a bit demoralizing Susan William mentioned this to me right after the race, and Elaine's video shows it in all its glory. My second turn wasn't much better either. I think this was partly due to a lack of mental focus for this race and partly due to the fact that I swim it once a year and thus don't have kick/stroke counts. I cruised the first 3 lengths worrying about the piano and trying to rely on my SDK. The arms only started getting heavy the last few strokes. These splits, less than 3 seconds apart, are downright amazing for me. I've never done that before in the 100 fly. If this had been a focus race and I wasn't such a big nancy, I definitely could have gone out faster. Next time, I'd like to: (1) focus on snappy turns; (2) work the SDKs harder, (3) better breakouts, and (4) out slightly faster. But I felt poorly and fatigued on Friday. Under those circumstances, it's hard for me to wrap my brain around a 100 fly.

This is probably faster than the 1:11.3 that I swam in SCM at NE Champs. And it is a second faster than last year, which is nothing to sneeze at. I do think, however, that there is a limit on how much I can improve in this event. This is definitely my "fake it" event. First, I just can't train a lot of fly or develop real fly conditioning. (Though before the shoulder pain hit, I was doing some fast broken 100s flys in practice.) Second, since I didn't start masters until 44, I am just lacking an aerobic base from the 24 year hiatus which my competitors are not. It appears that very few women over 50 even want to swim this event; entries are always quite low. Maybe this event just becomes harder with age. Thoughts on this anyone? That said, I still think I can do a 1:01 again on pure HIT training. More monofin work!

One hilarious thing: I took at peek at KPN in lane 5 like an 10 & U! hahaha

100 Back, 1:02.61 (30.3/32.2)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htje5QXh9cs"]Leslie's 100 back, 1:02.2, Greensboro Nats - YouTube[/nomedia]

This video confirms what I thought during the race -- my usual UW kick count was way off. I went 14-12-11-8. At Albatross I was 15-15-15-10. This definitely cost me time. I tried to take it out very controlled so I would have something coming home. But I felt tired with no leg power the whole race. KPN owned me on the last 25. I'm quite sure I can go faster on a better day. My splits were good, just too slow. I should definitely be out in a mid to low 29. That's about what I went out in at the Albatross meet, converted. I could also tell that I flopped some on the start with my foot slipping slightly. Psychologically, that's a bad way to start a race.

For reference, this race is .62 off what I swam at Atlanta in a Jaked and my second fastest time ever, faster than another B70 swim. I know I have a PR in this event in me.

Submit "Vids & Recovery Swim, Tuesday, May 1" to Digg Submit "Vids & Recovery Swim, Tuesday, May 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Vids & Recovery Swim, Tuesday, May 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Vids & Recovery Swim, Tuesday, May 1" to Google

Updated May 1st, 2012 at 08:50 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Awesome fly video.. The first one I don't think is you?!.

Anyways..are you really moving to Pittsburgh or is Jim being silly? And if so.. How much for private coaching! Not me my son..he's 13 and loves technical aspects of swimming. Seriously..
    Quote Originally Posted by magick17
    The first one I don't think is you?!.
    Looks like she put up the wrong link. It's not Leslie and it's not even backstroke!
    Awesome fly video.. The first one I don't think is you?!.

Anyways..are you really moving to Pittsburgh or is Jim being silly? And if so.. How much for private coaching! Not me my son..he's 13 and loves technical aspects of swimming. Seriously..
    Yeah, Kirk's right, I put up the wrong link for the 50 back. I'll fix that.

Probably August 2013 on the move. With only one kid left by then, I would like to get into some actual on deck coaching!
    My two cents on the 100 BK: major decceleration on the 2nd 25, particularly in arm tempo. I would say, as I say to myself, don't be afraid of dying, but maintain the tempo of the 1st 25 - make them come catch you, don't put yourself in a position of having to chase them...

YMMV.

Great swim!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimRude
    My two cents on the 100 BK: major decceleration on the 2nd 25, particularly in arm tempo. I would say, as I say to myself, don't be afraid of dying, but maintain the tempo of the 1st 25 - make them come catch you, don't put yourself in a position of having to chase them...

YMMV.

Great swim!
    Yeah, I think I went to sleep a bit on both the second and third length. I was a bit freaked out by the lack of leg power too. With my start, there's no way I won't be out ahead. Have to swim the race that way. And I did last time I swam it in March. Thanks.
    Updated May 1st, 2012 at 08:58 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Probably August 2013 on the move. With only one kid left by then, I would like to get into some actual on deck coaching!
    You are going to move to Pittsburgh and coach masters? Is that a silver lining to a dark cloud?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    You are going to move to Pittsburgh and coach masters? Is that a silver lining to a dark cloud?
    It is a bit of a dark cloud. At least I have a few swim buddies there. It would be nice to do some kind of coaching perhaps. Or I could just carry on as is, working out and refusing to be a trained show pony. Though with no USMS meets in Pittsburgh, that will be more difficult.
    It is a bit of a dark cloud. At least I have a few swim buddies there. It would be nice to do some kind of coaching perhaps. Or I could just carry on as is, working out and refusing to be a trained show pony. Though with no USMS meets in Pittsburgh, that will be more difficult.
    We would love to have you here. I'm sure coaching would be MORE than available to you as in USA-s and Masters!
    Next USMS meet should be the 1st weekend of October! And I'm working on getting more available, just got some bumps in the road.
    We would love to have you here. I'm sure coaching would be MORE than available to you as in USA-s and Masters!
    Next USMS meet should be the 1st weekend of October! And I'm working on getting more available, just got some bumps in the road.
    Which pool? I am looking for fall SCY meets. 1st weekend is good b/c the Sprint Classic is at the end of October here.
    My pool..chartiers valley...tentative for now.
    Cool!
    Is it four feet deep at one end? :-)
    Is it four feet deep at one end? :-)
    not when set up SCY. It's 10+ feet deep! But you do get to flip on a bulkhead!