10 x 25 shooters
8 x 50 fly drills

Main MF (Monofin) Sets:

-- all dolphin kick on back

2 x 25 shooters
1 x 50 up tempo w/ MF

1 x 225 cruise for time,
Went: mystery time
I will note that this time was 14 seconds faster than Speedo, who put an MF for the first time and cruised a 225 as well.
75 EZ
hot tub w/Speedo

1 x 200 cruise
Went: stopped at 150
cramp and legs were going wtf
maybe the hot tub wasn't the smartest idea
100 EZ

1 x 150 cruise
100 EZ

1 x 100 cruise
(hmm, this was the same time as the first 100 of my 225, reflecting my weeny sprinter endurance)
100 EZ

1 x 50 up tempo
100 EZ

4 x 50 @ 200 pace @ 1:00
50 EZ

4 x 50 breast @ 1:05
50 EZ

Total: 3100/2200 kick

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm still crashing and hungover from the event. Though this is fairly normal for me after a big travel meet. I'm wondering if I should have done 3 x 1500 this week. Felt dreadful in the water today, like I was sinking. Still decided to persevere and give the legs a workout. I think they were in shock both from the kicking and hypoxic element. Plus, they were a bit sore from my first drylands yesterday in a month. Still, I feel confident about the upcoming gridge. 8 kicks the first 25 and 7 kicks thereafter.

I will be dry tomorrow. I'm heading up to Dartmouth tomorrow for parents weekend. Can't wait to see Fort Son; it's been a long time.

Ultra Short Distance Training:

Wanted to post a couple articles on ultra short distance training that Kevinj posted on my blog. (Might have posted the first one before, can't recall.) Next short course season I will likely shift into even more ultra short distance training and race simulation and bag lactate sets.

http://www.fcnm.org/kubrt4.pdf

http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/swim/bullets/energy39.pdf

Check out this quote:

High-effort-level event-specific training can be performed using very short work bursts and brief
rests. Not only is the total volume of relevant work increased, but so is the volume of specific high intensity
work-quality maintained. Neuromuscular patterning of a competition-specific nature can be
enhanced. Research in this area puts to rest the claim that traditional swimming training, which
produces high levels of fatigue with high levels of lactate and glycogen depletion, is a "good"
training experience. Such training reduces the volume and quality of potentially beneficial training
that could be performed, and therefore, should be viewed as detrimental to possible adaptation,
certainly when compared to what can be achieved with ultra-short training.

Submit "MF Gridge Prep, Thursday, May 3" to Digg Submit "MF Gridge Prep, Thursday, May 3" to del.icio.us Submit "MF Gridge Prep, Thursday, May 3" to StumbleUpon Submit "MF Gridge Prep, Thursday, May 3" to Google

Updated May 3rd, 2012 at 04:55 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Took me awhile to figure out "MF Practice" was not just an especially hard workout. Enjoy parent's weekend while they last and NH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Took me awhile to figure out "MF Practice" was not just an especially hard workout. Enjoy parent's weekend while they last and NH.
    Nah, cruised it. Still, 2200 of kicking is nothing to sneeze at! If I was smart, I'd put my compression tights on tonight.

Thanks!
    very short work bursts and brief rests

The key word is brief...

I am not a fan of lots of yardage for sprinters, but I don't think you get the same conditioning effect from, say, 6x 50 AFAP on 3:00 as you do from 6x 250 on 3:00. Which is not to say that you need the "conditioning effect" as a sprinter.

Now, if you did 6x 50 AFAP on :45, that might be comparable...

YMMV. ;-)
    1 x 225 cruise for time,
    Went: mystery time
    Doesn't scare me at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimRude
    very short work bursts and brief rests

The key word is brief...

I am not a fan of lots of yardage for sprinters, but I don't think you get the same conditioning effect from, say, 6x 50 AFAP on 3:00 as you do from 6x 250 on 3:00. Which is not to say that you need the "conditioning effect" as a sprinter.

Now, if you did 6x 50 AFAP on :45, that might be comparable...

YMMV. ;-)
    Yes, the key word is brief. The article was suggesting a 10/20 work to rest ratio, which theoretically doesn't have the same burnout effect as the tabata 20/10. (I've given up on tabatas anyway; can't do them as a sprinter.) And that ratio is supposed to give you both the anaerobic + aerobic benefit. Personally, I would probably use a 10/30 work to rest. And I feel like I get a lot of benefit from my 15 m bursts @ 1:00. That's where all my 50 speed comes from anyway. But you could do sets of, say, 8 or 10 at the lower rest, then recover, then re-start. You'd still end up with a LOT of AFAP yards that you otherwise couldn't do. My problem is that I kick so much that I don't do much actual swimming in 10 seconds.

6 x 250, meh. I don't like over distance training. But in addition to doing my broken 100s, I think I need to do more race simulation 100s in practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Doesn't scare me at all.
    You better be! Boom. You're going down, young lad.

Maybe you should plan on a practice PR? However, if you wear tech jammers, I'm wearing a kneeskin. The one with the hole of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress

Maybe you should plan on a practice PR? However, if you wear tech jammers, I'm wearing a kneeskin. The one with the hole of course.
    I don't have tech jammers, or tech anything suits. I can use my $20 Yingfas, but that's the best I've got.
    The biggest lesson I took away from this season is that more swimming makes me slower. I had the most speed on 100 yards a week. Extra work made me slower and started to hurt my joints. After I rested I was fast again but I didn't see any evidence of supercompensation. Just recovery back to baseline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    The biggest lesson I took away from this season is that more swimming makes me slower. I had the most speed on 100 yards a week. Extra work made me slower and started to hurt my joints. After I rested I was fast again but I didn't see any evidence of supercompensation. Just recovery back to baseline.
    So you don't believe that any increased AFAP effort + taper will work better for your than just X low yardage sprinting (never to increase or decrease)? Putting aside joint issues that is. By comparison, I did more AFAP yardage than ever before and was faster. Though I'm not sure I got that much extra boost from the added taper in April as opposed to resting in March. Hard to tell, I didn't swim straight in backstroke and might have gone a tough faster if I had.

The biggest variable for me is travel. All else being equal, I'd swim faster if I didn't have to, I think.

Also, though you don't race them, I think the 100s require something more, if even just race simulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Where do you get these things?
    Yes, the key word is brief. The article was suggesting a 10/20 work to rest ratio, which theoretically doesn't have the same burnout effect as the tabata 20/10. (I've given up on tabatas anyway; can't do them as a sprinter.) And that ratio is supposed to give you both the anaerobic + aerobic benefit. Personally, I would probably use a 10/30 work to rest. And I feel like I get a lot of benefit from my 15 m bursts @ 1:00. That's where all my 50 speed comes from anyway. But you could do sets of, say, 8 or 10 at the lower rest, then recover, then re-start. You'd still end up with a LOT of AFAP yards that you otherwise couldn't do. My problem is that I kick so much that I don't do much actual swimming in 10 seconds.
    I've been experimenting a bit with the both as a swimmer and a coach. I think 10/30 makes much more sense. But still there is no way I could keep that up for 20 plus reps. Rounds of 8 or 10 seem to be the limit before swimmers start to slow down.

Your point about kicking brings up my concern about this type of training. How well does it translate to the long course 50M? I suppose I'll find out in about 2 weeks. That will be my first meet since my back surgery.
    Updated May 4th, 2012 at 03:08 PM by Kevinj
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinj
    I've been experimenting a bit with the both as a swimmer and a coach. I think 10/30 makes much more sense. But still there is no way I could keep that up for 20 plus reps. Rounds of 8 or 10 seem to be the limit before swimmers start to slow down.

Your point about kicking brings up my concern about this type of training. How well does it translate to the long course 50M? I suppose I'll find out in about 2 weeks. That will be my first meet since my back surgery.
    I played with this idea this morning. I did a 300 kick with a tempo trainer set to 10s, 1 cycle sprint kick 2 cycles gentle kick with a kick board. That worked well.

Then I tried the same thing swimming which was about 20M sprint, 5M swim and about 15s on the wall. On the sixth one I felt like I was really slowing down, so I switched the interval to 10s sprint, 50s ez/rest. I don't see how someone could do 60 cycles of 10s sprint, 20s rest and absolutely see no way to do 1:1 work to rest ratio that he says is appropriate for swimmers.

I think one big difference between the kick and the swim for me was oxygen. Kicking with a kick board I am breathing vs 10s swim sprint I might breath once. I will give 10s sprint, 20s swim another shot with backstroke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinj

I think I could kick longer than swim at those intervals. I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow when I only have an hour to swim.

Long course puzzles me. I felt unprepared for even my 50s last year. Not sure how much was due to the training or a two plus week vacation in June with no swimming. Let me know how you do!

One other thought. My bursts with fins probably take more like 6-7 seconds, slightly shorter than the 10 seconds specified in the article. 10 seconds would be a full 25 for me and I definitely can't do many repeats of those at full velocity before fatigue sets in. I usually do them @ 3:00. What is the masters factor in all this?
    Updated May 5th, 2012 at 10:22 PM by The Fortress