Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various
12 x 25 shooters w/MF
5 x 50 fly drill
5 x 50 breast drill
100 EZ

Total: 1500

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I channeled Jazz Feet today at the gym. I even limited myself to a single ab exercise! My neck and shoulder were too swollen and sore from the PRP yesterday to do any upper body work anyway. I just did a recovery swim afterward. Couldn't do much in the pool either

Since James was so kind as to post his video, I timed it with my iPhone. 2:10 is a super impressive practice time from a push. Kudos to James. Hopefully, my body will be ready to go tomorrow. Here's what Jimby had to say about James' time:

"That's going to be hard to beat. You need to swim 14.444 secs per 25, or just under 29 per 50, to stay up at this pace for 225 yards. I know you have swum 52 sec 100s with your monofin, and the "formula" for the 200 is to take you 100 time, double it, and add 8 seconds in you're a great middle distance swimmer. This would mean that theoretically you should be able to monofin your way to a 1:42 200. One more length at this pace would be 14 seconds, for an overall 225 time of 1:56. A comfortable smashing of James. However, we also suspect you are not a great middle distance swimmer, plus the formula above applies to people who can breathe. How fast are you kicking backstroke on the surface, breathing as you go? Do NOT swim this in the Pete von "Locked up" Loewe fashion! I think you'd be better off doing the first 7 lengths as a moderate warm up, then try for a fast last 100! And if, god forbid, you do happen to lose "on paper," I will help you use the Finnish formula in a way that will convince virtually ANY reasonable minded person that you did, in fact, win by a lot."

Submit "Tuesday, May 8" to Digg Submit "Tuesday, May 8" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday, May 8" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday, May 8" to Google

Updated May 8th, 2012 at 04:30 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

I timed it with my iPhone. 2:10 is a super impressive practice time from a push. Kudos to James. Hopefully, my body will be ready to go tomorrow.
    Dang this technology!! My phone can make phone calls and take pictures, that's about it without costing me an arm and a leg...and I need both of those.

Leslie, good luck, I hope you beat me. That means you'll be flying through the water!
    I channeled Jazz Feet today at the gym. I even limited myself to a single ab exercise!
    After I finished my (dryland) flys last night, I was about to go to the captain's chair and do some leg raises. Then I remembered his single ab exercise quote. I had already done planks and side planks, so I figured I could skip the leg raises.

How do you feel after the deadlifts?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Dang this technology!! My phone can make phone calls and take pictures, that's about it without costing me an arm and a leg...and I need both of those.

Leslie, good luck, I hope you beat me. That means you'll be flying through the water!
    Tactical error. Though I knew you'd be fast.

I hope I fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm

How do you feel after the deadlifts?
    They felt fine and not too difficult. But I wanted to start conservatively. Not sure I'll want to push it too too much again as this was the exercise (I think) that caused the elbow problems last year. I'm sure I'll feel it tomorrow though!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Tactical error. Though I knew you'd be fast.

I hope I fly.
    If you want, we could "up the gridge" to a 300 Fly vs. 325 MF Kick. Or would the added distance actually be worse for you?
    If you want, we could "up the gridge" to a 300 Fly vs. 325 MF Kick. Or would the added distance actually be worse for you?
    I think it would be worse for you! I'd just kick on top of the water. I used to do some wicked kick mountains ...
    I think it would be worse for you! I'd just kick on top of the water. I used to do some wicked kick mountains ...
    Care to make a wager? or just another friendly race? I wouldn't do it till after Nationals, if at all anyway.
    Care to make a wager? or just another friendly race? I wouldn't do it till after Nationals, if at all anyway.
    Canadian Nationals? When is that again? Soon? I might be persuaded.
    ...the "formula" for the 200 is to take you 100 time, double it, and add 8 seconds in you're a great middle distance swimmer.
    "great" being the operative word here. That's a very agreessive 100. Double and add 11 is more realistic, even for a good mid-D person from what I know. That's a 1:55 200, add :15 for the extra 25 and you have a tie with Adams 2:10 200 fly. It's gonna be a great race!
    Updated May 9th, 2012 at 08:15 AM by Karl_S
    Canadian Nationals? When is that again? Soon? I might be persuaded.
    May 18-21st (Friday-Monday) I'm only swimming Sat-Mon though.
    No 1500 for me.
    www.cmsc2012.ca
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    "great" being the operative word here. That's a very agreessive 100. Double and add 11 is more realistic, even for a good mid-D person from what I know. That's a 1:55 200, add :15 for the extra 25 and you have a tie with Adams 2:10 200 fly. It's gonna be a great race!
    It is!

Jim had suggested going out easy the first 100 or so. (This is his typical advice for all races except the 50.) But I think I'll die either way, so plan to take it out fairly crisply and just hang on at the end. Even staying under just 7 kicks (> half length), the O2 deprivation makes even pacing difficult.
    May 18-21st (Friday-Monday) I'm only swimming Sat-Mon though.
    No 1500 for me.
    www.cmsc2012.ca
    1500 LCM -- might as well swim open water.
    1500 LCM -- might as well swim open water.
    Agreed, at least than you don't have to 'n count.