View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Wednesday 05092012: Timed 1500m :)

Rate this Entry
went up to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters swim workout
Paul & Laura were coaching
Paul's group was in the main pool (LCM), Laura's group in the warm-up pool (SCY)

got in 300 w/u choice

16 x 50--
* odds @ :50
* evens @ 1:00
(did them all free and tried to hold same times)

100 easy kick

8 x 50--
* odds @ 1:00 (did free)
* evens @ 1:10 (did breast)

1500m for time (22:19)

300 w/d (did 200 kick w/fins, 100 easy swim with fins)

TTL: 3400m

so the reason for the 1500m...
over the weekend I was reviewing my emails and the NYC Swim website for my upcoming Statue of Liberty Swim. Now if last year's Governor's Island Swim hadn't gotten canceled (the night before), I would have been able to do this year's swim without any qualifyier. But since it was canceled, it is like starting over. So I needed a timed 1500m (or 1650 yards) in under 35 min.
I emailed Paul and Laura over the weekend to see if this would be something I could do with the team, preferably LCM. I offered to come early/stay late, even come at another time, whatever worked. After workout on Monday, Paul said he would incorporate it into a workout, either today or Friday.

now of course had I known I would be doing it today, I probably wouldn't have pushed a 40 mile cycling jaunt yesterday (holding 19.5+ mph is a new concept for me), and I more than likely would have skipped swimming last night. but such is life. sometimes the element of surprise is better.

evidently Paul told everyone at workout--except me--what was in store for them. I had no idea what we were doing until after those 8 x 50's. I was expecting 100 easy, certainly not right into a timed 1500m. when Paul gave the set, he told everyone it was courtesy of me, and asked me what time I needed to have it in. when I told him under 35 min, he said, "If Tim doesn't go under 25 min, he's buying everyone a Starbucks." so that was my goal for today

so as to that 'surprise' 1500m (reminds me of pop quizzes we used to have in school)...
Paul reset the clock so we started on 0:00, and I had a clear view of the clock. it was just a push start, and I tried to keep my pace under 1:30 per 100m...and seemed successful at it. Paul had my splits written down and said #1 was about 1:23, the others were 1:29/1:30, and my last was 1:25.

at the LCM meet I did last July at Skyline I did a 1500m (as the first event) in 22:07. If I remember correctly, our Friday workout was a little light, and I skipped the gym Friday night. so no huge taper, but not quite a workout swim either, which is what I'd classify today as.

so now I should figure out a goal for a 1500m for our next meet. I'm thinking I should be able to go under 22 (that's 1:28 per 100m).

oh and as I left, I told Paul, "I don't really care about my time for Liberty Island, it is more to say I swam around the Statue of Liberty." but the more I think about it, the more I'm sure I'll have a goal time. The last I checked, there were 330 people registered for the 250 spots, so I want to make sure I secure my spot (I registered back in December, right after registration opened).

Depending how things go with Liberty Island, I'm pondering the thought of doing the Little Red Lighthouse Swim
(would be much easier if swimsuit addict also does it )

I had a couple of surprises at work--

in the morning when our mail came, a co-worker sent me this bike jersey:

late in the day a big storm rolled in:

this despite the forecast calling for, "10% chance of blowing dust."
oddly, I don't think I saw any blowing dust. I did however see plenty of rain, trees nearly blowing over from the wind, and a little bit of hail.

after I left work, braved the storm and went to the gym, 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview:

Tmill: 25 min, 329 cal, 2.89 miles, avg 6.9 mph
2 min warmup, 3.7 to 4.5
Jump to 6.8, increase .1 to 7.2
Increase .1 to 8.0 a min each
8.1/8.2 for 30 sec
1 min warmdown

Leg rolling: 5 min
Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 2:00, a new PB
Side plank: 3:00, done as 4 x 45 (2 right, 2 left), finished w 5 pushups and hold for 10 sec

Pullups: 4 x 8, 5 sec horizontal legs after each round

Hammer strength biceps curl: 1 x 15 x 45, 1 x 12 x 70, 1 x 10 x 80, 2 x 8 x 90

Hammer strength seated row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 140, 2 x 10 x 160

it was basically the same treadmill run as Mon, but I held 8.0 for a min, then 8.1 for 30, 8.2 for 30.

I had a late start, ran a little longer (almost didn't want to do anything else).

was going to do the HS biceps machine one-arm, but it didn't seem too suited for that, the arm really wavered so I just went back to 2 arms.

while I was doing the seated row, there was a guy next to me doing leg presses. he did a set with 6 plates on each side...540#, and he said his max was 720

Submit "Wednesday 05092012:  Timed 1500m :)" to Digg Submit "Wednesday 05092012:  Timed 1500m :)" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday 05092012:  Timed 1500m :)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday 05092012:  Timed 1500m :)" to Google

Updated May 10th, 2012 at 01:47 AM by aztimm

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Running

Comments

Good time. I held 1:22s on a T1000 this morning. You are closing the gap.

would be much easier if swimsuit addict also does it
    It is always nice to be able to draft
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Good time. I held 1:22s on a T1000 this morning. You are closing the gap.

It is always nice to be able to draft
    Was that 1000 scy, SCM, or LCM?

And yes it is easier to draft, so long as I can stay close enough to get some benefit. Maybe we could even take turns leading, if she wants to take it easy for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Was that 1000 scy, SCM, or LCM?
    LCM
    Congrats in your 1500! And I wouldn't worry about the oversubscribed entrant lists, the entry limit often gets pushed up as the event gets closer--if there's a hard limit they sometimes go to a wait list, or simply stop accepting entries.

And I'm inclined to do Little Red Lighthouse--it's a nice race, a pretty course (you get to swim under the GW Bridge!), and a nice time of year to visit the city. But the way you're swimming these days, you might want to find someone a little quicker to draft on . . . unless you're just content swimming at sightseeing pace.
    Nice 1500 as well! Sometimes the element of surprise is good for "racing" efforts. I'm not so sure about a surprise 1500 though. YIKES!
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Congrats in your 1500! And I wouldn't worry about the oversubscribed entrant lists, the entry limit often gets pushed up as the event gets closer--if there's a hard limit they sometimes go to a wait list, or simply stop accepting entries.

And I'm inclined to do Little Red Lighthouse--it's a nice race, a pretty course (you get to swim under the GW Bridge!), and a nice time of year to visit the city. But the way you're swimming these days, you might want to find someone a little quicker to draft on . . . unless you're just content swimming at sightseeing pace.

Thanks! I just really wanted to get this out of the way before my trip to London.

And you know how to pace these long swims. Outside of 100 x 100's, my longest continuous swim has only been around 4k, so I'd rather just stick with you...at least for the first 9k.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice 1500 as well! Sometimes the element of surprise is good for "racing" efforts. I'm not so sure about a surprise 1500 though. YIKES!
    Thanks James! And yes, a surprise 100 is one thing...even a 200. But a 1500, well that's a whole other animal.