View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Dead from Deadlifting, Thursday, May 10

Rate this Entry
Gym:

RC exercises, 20 min

Stretching/Yoga, 25 min


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

8 x 25 shooters
50 EZ

6 x 25 burst + cruise
50 EZ

1 x 100 AFAP back w/fins
-- went :51
-- better than I expected

400 IG

1 x 100 AFAP fly w/fins
-- :54
-- ugh, slow, had to swim through calf cramp

300 IG

1 x 50 AFAP breast
-- 28 mid

200 IG

Total: 2200


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I woke up and everything hurt from Tuesday's drylands. Deadlifts seem to suck the life out of me. Maybe it's also accumulated fatigue from re-starting drylands. It made me less than enthusiastic to swim, and I was tired in the water. I had forgotten how rotten that feels ... Perhaps I should have saved this Speedo type workout for Friday instead and gone to yoga.

I still have no plan for this season. Very unusual for me not to have a plan wrt either swimming, drylands or meets. Hopefully, after some more cogitating, my brain will spit out something soon.

Submit "Dead from Deadlifting, Thursday, May 10" to Digg Submit "Dead from Deadlifting, Thursday, May 10" to del.icio.us Submit "Dead from Deadlifting, Thursday, May 10" to StumbleUpon Submit "Dead from Deadlifting, Thursday, May 10" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Yoga

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Speedo's Avatar
    I find deadlifts to do the same to me. They just drain everything out of everything. Still, nice efforts for time.
  2. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    I find deadlifts to do the same to me. They just drain everything out of everything. Still, nice efforts for time.
    You do deadlifts? Do you have a blog?
  3. Speedo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    You do deadlifts? Do you have a blog?
    "In my past life" answers both of those questions. I'm officially a has-been.
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    I find deadlifts to do the same to me. They just drain everything out of everything. Still, nice efforts for time.
    I felt like I was plodding through them with no enthusiasm. I may not be mentally recovered from Nats and ready to rip either. But I'm going to do more of these race simulation efforts going forward. That is the only semblance of a plan I have.

    I have read that these total body lifts are very taxing on the CNS. I certainly won't be doing them more than every couple weeks. I would like to retire to the couch for the rest of the day.
  5. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    You do deadlifts? Do you have a blog?
    He's apparently too busy mountain biking and scoping out the cute chicks while doing so.
  6. Speedo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    He's apparently too busy mountain biking and scoping out the cute chicks while doing so.
    I tend to gravitate toward sports that require lycra and shaving.
  7. aztimm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    You do deadlifts? Do you have a blog?
    He's still mountain biking... and those of us on the cycling site can see + comment
    Although he didn't like my comment of adding o/w swim legs to a MTB circuit (like I've done with swim-bike-swim).


    Anyway, I think you know my stand on deadlifts. The last time I did them, I could hardly walk the next day, and couldn't run for 2-3 days. And that was with a lifting partner.
    I need to get a gym rat to help me do them I guess.
  8. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    He's still mountain biking... and those of us on the cycling site can see + comment
    Although he didn't like my comment of adding o/w swim legs to a MTB circuit (like I've done with swim-bike-swim).


    Anyway, I think you know my stand on deadlifts. The last time I did them, I could hardly walk the next day, and couldn't run for 2-3 days. And that was with a lifting partner.
    I need to get a gym rat to help me do them I guess.
    He went for 3 hours the other day! With claims of hallucinating at the end.

    Deadlifts seem like an ideal exercise for swimming, especially dolphin kicking. But, yeah, they take a serious toll. Probably a bad idea to do them mid week.
  9. Water Rat's Avatar
    IG?
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    IG?
    Il Garbagio, slow swimming
  11. pwb's Avatar
    Don't feel bad about not having a plan. I had a plan, but now I've got to refigure it. My target meet hasn't changed -- Omaha -- but my preparation is already behind schedule. Every day that I see That Guys Omaha Countdown number, I freak out. Not even sure that I'll get into a LCM pool to train before I show up in Nebraska!
  12. jaadams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Don't feel bad about not having a plan. I had a plan, but now I've got to refigure it. My target meet hasn't changed -- Omaha -- but my preparation is already behind schedule. Every day that I see That Guys Omaha Countdown number, I freak out. Not even sure that I'll get into a LCM pool to train before I show up in Nebraska!
    Don't worry about LCM training. You don't have to train LCM to race LCM. It's mostly a mental game. As long as you're physically prepared, you'll be fine. Do some overdistance training, like 225s, 250s for the 200s, 125s for the 100s. I haven't yet had a problem with LCM after only practicing in SCY. My biggest concern is only the lack of being able to get in the water to practice.
  13. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Don't worry about LCM training. You don't have to train LCM to race LCM. It's mostly a mental game. As long as you're physically prepared, you'll be fine. Do some overdistance training, like 225s, 250s for the 200s, 125s for the 100s. I haven't yet had a problem with LCM after only practicing in SCY. My biggest concern is only the lack of being able to get in the water to practice.
    What he means to say is, just buy a Monofin.
  14. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Don't worry about LCM training. You don't have to train LCM to race LCM. It's mostly a mental game. As long as you're physically prepared, you'll be fine. Do some overdistance training, like 225s, 250s for the 200s, 125s for the 100s. I haven't yet had a problem with LCM after only practicing in SCY. My biggest concern is only the lack of being able to get in the water to practice.
    Sounds like Chris Stevenson. I have to disagree about the "mental game" aspect. LCM is utterly different for SCY for some. Especially those that use monofins. Lack of LCM training sucked for me last year, and it showed at Auburn. And if you have to compensate by resorting to things like not pushing off walls, that is just downright irritating.
  15. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Don't feel bad about not having a plan. I had a plan, but now I've got to refigure it. My target meet hasn't changed -- Omaha -- but my preparation is already behind schedule. Every day that I see That Guys Omaha Countdown number, I freak out. Not even sure that I'll get into a LCM pool to train before I show up in Nebraska!
    You have a meet, so you'll soon have a plan! And you just cranked out some aerobic work. I'm not even sure what meet to attend. Not sure I feel like another long trip for Nationals. I'd be happy to attend our local Zones meet at U of Md. But I'll likely be on vacation then.
  16. That Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Every day that I see That Guys Omaha Countdown number, I freak out.
    It's starting to freak me out too

    Closest LCM pool to my house is 35 miles away. And it's closed for repairs. Next closest is 40 miles away. I know I won't get there before my first LCM meet on Saturday. I probably won't get in any LCM practices before Omaha. I'll be fine.
  17. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    The level of wimpiness in here is depressing. You guys, I deadlifted earlier this week and I'm just so uncomfortable. Can't I swim fast without ever feeling tired or sore?
  18. That Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    The level of wimpiness in here is depressing. You guys, I deadlifted earlier this week and I'm just so uncomfortable. Can't I swim fast without ever feeling tired or sore?
    thespacebaristooheavy.icannotpressit!
  19. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    The level of wimpiness in here is depressing. You guys, I deadlifted earlier this week and I'm just so uncomfortable. Can't I swim fast without ever feeling tired or sore?
    I could easily have done 6 x 25 with fins.

    It's just a fact that recovery is more of an issue for me than you! I'm not sure it's "wimpiness," though as a sprinter, I guess I can't fully discount that.
  20. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    It's starting to freak me out too

    Closest LCM pool to my house is 35 miles away. And it's closed for repairs. Next closest is 40 miles away. I know I won't get there before my first LCM meet on Saturday. I probably won't get in any LCM practices before Omaha. I'll be fine.
    Youve been killing it in practice. You'll be more than fine. Remember to eat though!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast