600 various
8 x 25 shooters
6 x 25 burst + cruise
50 EZ

Speed Sets:

6 x 50 AFAP @ whatever

1 = double shooter w/MF
-- 19 low
-- Speedo filmed this for That Guy. But my computer refuses to download the invalid image. wth. I think Speedo will have to use his own phone when filming!
-- I then watched Speedo lay down a 23 mid 50 free from a push after not swimming this week. Clearly, training in the pool is optional for him.
200 EZ

Edit: The MF vid downloaded on a second try. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvNrL...ature=youtu.be
I also have a vid of Pete's 23 50 free:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuvxx...ature=youtu.be

2 = fly w/fins, 23 low to mid
-- Speedo popped a 50 fly and went a 27 low. Another new event?
175 EZ

15 minute chat break w/Speedo and then he retired to hot tub, buoyed by his training is optional swim.

25 EZ

3 = breast, 28 mid
-- meh, not getting any pop on the evil right now
150 EZ

4 = fly, 22.9-23.0 ()
150 EZ

5 = dolphin kick w/MF and board
-- fin flew off my feet when turning
-- must need superglue
150 EZ

6 = double shooter w/MF, 19 mid
150 EZ

10 x 50 w/parachute @ 1:30
1-5 = 25 breast pull + 25 EZ back kick
6-10 = 25 back shooter + 25 EZ back kick
-- really wanted to do free w/paddles, but didn't want to chance it yet with the shoulder
-- shoulder pain is the one thing that makes me uncharacteristically risk averse
100 EZ

Total: 2900

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Vastly better effort than yesterday! I hope that helps the doldrums pass. Stud and I were discussing earlier how HIT training can be mentally challenging and leave you wanting a break.

Now for the interesting bits.

1. I am training with a soon to be triathlete. Yes, Speedo needs a new project for the summer so is entering an xterra tri in June. I feel I can announce this on my blog since he is a blogger has been.

2. Like Speedo, I am feeling in need of a summer project. I am uninspired by long course right now and it is ill-suited to my kick dominant swimming. But I feel the need to do something other than swim this summer and should have plenty of time to do so with my one meet in just 5 weeks. (Still no word on details for Ohio meet.) But what? Sadly, my now ridiculously floppy ankles don't take kindly to running. And after 3 major ankle sprains during my swimming years ...

3. Speedo and I were entertained today (usually we're annoyed) by an 89 year old noodler. Typically, she scolds Speedo for splashing her cataract implants. But today she regaled us with her snacking habits which, if she didn't follow, she'd be "farked." Speedo agreed that she'd be "farked" and we were both impressed by an 89 year old lady cursing like a truck driver. Something to aspire to! Speedo and I also agreed we'd be "farked" if we attempted to race long course right now.

4. I may go to yoga at 6:00 pm. Wondering if it will feel dreadful after months off ...

Submit "Solid, Friday, May 18" to Digg Submit "Solid, Friday, May 18" to del.icio.us Submit "Solid, Friday, May 18" to StumbleUpon Submit "Solid, Friday, May 18" to Google

Updated May 18th, 2012 at 10:18 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. Trail running and mountain biking is interesting, it is the road racers that have a few screws loose.

2. Build a bird house?

3. Ahh... old people.

4. Might as well feel horrible and unmotivated while you don't have a meet looming.
    Is there some sort of competitive yoga you can focus on for the summer?

All of us would be farked racing LCM now ... save Chris who seems to have his own private Olympic Trials pool at his beck and call. I've never regretted moving away from Virginia until now ... I can't wait till this LCM nonsense is done and we can go back to SCM racing!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    1. Trail running and mountain biking is interesting, it is the road racers that have a few screws loose.

2. Build a bird house?

3. Ahh... old people.

4. Might as well feel horrible and unmotivated while you don't have a meet looming.
    1. Trail running and mountain biking -- the only reason I will still associate with him.

2. I'm against home projects right now. I was thinking of other sports. Possibly some biking.

3. She tried to race me to an open lane with her cane ... And then later quizzed me about how I managed to have certain body characteristics in the shower ... Ahh ...

4. Might as well. Trying to decide between bikram or heated vinyassa.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Even better! Ninja training.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb

All of us would be farked racing LCM now ... save Chris who seems to have his own private Olympic Trials pool at his beck and call. I've never regretted moving away from Virginia until now ... I can't wait till this LCM nonsense is done and we can go back to SCM racing!
    Bikram addicts do compete. But you really need to be going every day. And my balance would need major improvement.

"LCM nonsense" is right. Short course is much better for real racin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Even better! Ninja training.
    Not a bad idea. Better than joining Cross Fit.
    Speedo lay down a 23 mid 50 free from a push after not swimming this week
    I'm glad he's becoming a triathlete

Please say your 28 mid in the 50 breast was fin aided! My fin/non-fin breaststroke efforts are remarkably the same!
    Clearly, your phone and I are on the outs. Maybe you can play the video on your phone and record that with a more agreeable device, which will likely produce a new video of very high quality.

I see that "parasitic blogging" may be an effective option.
    What about one of those Tough Muddlers, or something similar?
    They certainly aren't for me, but when they're in town--or even Tucson--they sell out super fast.
    I did plenty of crawling through mud when I was in the army, no need for more.

My team has done LCM training for about 6 weeks so far, and another 8-10 weeks left. The few times I swim SCY it feels so small, and takes me a while to adjust. I almost hit a wall last night because I zoned out and forgot I was SCY (and that was doing free).
    Now we just need a local masters LCM meet...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Like Speedo, I am feeling in need of a summer project.
    You're always welcome to visit CT in July for an outdoor LC meet and stun the "fark" out of everyone with your 50's...
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    I'm glad he's becoming a triathlete

Please say your 28 mid in the 50 breast was fin aided! My fin/non-fin breaststroke efforts are remarkably the same!
    With fins, of course. I went a 33.3 50 evil at a local meet this year. But my evilstroke has improved using fins in practice. Better undulation probably. And, really, my whip kick is appallingly slow and fixing that is not on my to do list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Clearly, your phone and I are on the outs. Maybe you can play the video on your phone and record that with a more agreeable device, which will likely produce a new video of very high quality.

I see that "parasitic blogging" may be an effective option.
    I am thinking that I have a quirky iphone. It has refused to download other things before and goes nuts occasionally. My previous generations never gave me a lick of trouble.

Parasitic blogging -- I added in your 50 fly time too.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    You're always welcome to visit CT in July for an outdoor LC meet and stun the "fark" out of everyone with your 50's...
    The bolded word gives me pause. I am an indoor pool swimmer.
    Parasitic blogging -- I added in your 50 fly time too.
    Thank you. I can see this is going to work very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm;
    What about one of those Tough Muddlers, or something similar?
    They certainly aren't for me, but when they're in town--or even Tucson--they sell out super fast.
    I did plenty of crawling through mud when I was in the army, no need for more.

My team has done LCM training for about 6 weeks so far, and another 8-10 weeks left. The few times I swim SCY it feels so small, and takes me a while to adjust. I almost hit a wall last night because I zoned out and forgot I was SCY (and that was doing free).
    Now we just need a local masters LCM meet...
    My team has started swimming long course too, but I can't get to the practices yet because they conflict with kid sports. Maybe in July I'll show up for a few. I'm sure you guys will have a few meets; you're in the land of USMS meets.

No tough mudder for me. Just read an article about how they were producing a rash of nasty injuries. Besides, it seems like a fake made up "sport."
    My team has started swimming long course too, but I can't get to the practices yet because they conflict with kid sports. Maybe in July I'll show up for a few. I'm sure you guys will have a few meets; you're in the land of USMS meets.

No tough mudder for me. Just read an article about how they were producing a rash of nasty injuries. Besides, it seems like a fake made up "sport."
    I know Paul is trying to put together some sort of 'dual meet' between Mesa and PHX Swim Club, and wants full participation.

I agree with muddler. Just seems like an excuse to get together for post-event drinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I agree with muddler. Just seems like an excuse to get together for post-event drinking.
    Totally. Real athletes don't need an excuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Totally. Real athletes don't need an excuse.
    Q now uses weekends as an excuse.
    19 low
    -- Speedo filmed this for That Guy. But my computer refuses to download the invalid image.
    Awesomeness overload, no doubt.
    The bolded word gives me pause. I am an indoor pool swimmer.
    Close your eyes and listen for the flags Padawan...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast