View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Sunday 05272012: Another Swim in London

Rate this Entry
got in another swim here in London today with the Otter Masters Swim Team.
at the Queen Mother Sports Centre (SCM)
Steve was on deck coaching

warm-up sets:
400 swim, about a min rest
4 x 100 kick @ 1:55
4 x 50 @ 1:00, 25 fast/25 easy
8 x 25 @ :40, about 15m fast/easy to the walls

main set:
20 x 50 @ 1:15, hold 400m race pace
12 x 200 @ 3:10

warm-down:
200 easy

TTL: 4800m (in 90 min)

there was a nice crowd again, and I went in the same lane as Thurs; I probably should move up to a faster lane, but I'd rather not swim on the left (well swimming wouldn't be bad its the flip turns I'm concerned with).

I started out going 3rd in a lane of 7 (actually 1 woman), then after w/u 2 guys moved out to do other sets (yes both Thurs and today I did distance sets. there's also mid-d and sprint sets).

we started the 20 x 50 doing them on 1:00, the guy leading the lane got impatient. I think we got away with 3 or 4 like that. but then the coach figured out what we were doing, came over with stopwatches and kept telling us to go faster. once we switched to 1:15, I held around 33 to 36, which seems pretty good for me (I seldom swim SCM so I really don't know what is good; that would be really good for LCM). I had a good pacer in the next lane who I'd stick with for the first 25 (when we were side by side), then try to beat him to the wall to finish.

the coach said to just cruise (I think he used another term) the first few 200s, recovery from the 50s, then push the last 6ish.
our leader went last on the 200s, another guy led for the first, but then I was catching him on #2, so I took over leading for the rest of the set. again I had a great pacer next to me, so I just paced off of him and held around 2:50ish.

the air in the pool area was a bit harsh, several people were complaining about it. I said they just need to open a window, and everyone laughed

the weather here in London continues to be above average. low to mid 80s for highs, and quite humid. it was been quite breezy at times also.

we did the BBC tour on Friday, which was nice, then went to the Transport Museum. I could spend hours at a place like that
yesterday, we went out to Wimbledon and did the tour there. it is just amazing how they have such grand facilities that are pretty much just used for a few weeks a year. the Centre Court Stadium is nearly the size of our baseball stadium in PHX, but only used for final rounds (courts 1, 2, and 3 aren't bad either). they didn't let us stand on or even touch the grass anywhere (quite odd, since I remember doing a Fenway tour in Boston and I remember being able to walk on the field)

we're heading down to Dover tomorrow, and probably Oxford on Wed (I'm still going back and forth on the Cambridge -v- Oxford thing). it is kinda nice having a more casual vacation, doing a few touristy things, as well as just enjoying the city...since this isn't the first time here (it is our 4th time in London).

Submit "Sunday 05272012:  Another Swim in London" to Digg Submit "Sunday 05272012:  Another Swim in London" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday 05272012:  Another Swim in London" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday 05272012:  Another Swim in London" to Google

Updated May 27th, 2012 at 04:57 PM by aztimm

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Hi!!! That is awesome you are in England! As a 4th timer you probably already did the highlights like Tower of London, Harrods, Kew Gardens (the lily pad exhibit is so awesome!!)....have you seen the Imperial War Museum? That is great. We went to the Albert & Victoria museum (the one near the sci museum) right when it opened and went to the top floor - we had it virtually to ourselves for the first hour! You can also swim at the Serpentine! Dover is fun. Cantebury? Load up on the Olympics souveniers!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Hi!!! That is awesome you are in England! As a 4th timer you probably already did the highlights like Tower of London, Harrods, Kew Gardens (the lily pad exhibit is so awesome!!)....have you seen the Imperial War Museum? That is great. We went to the Albert & Victoria museum (the one near the sci museum) right when it opened and went to the top floor - we had it virtually to ourselves for the first hour! You can also swim at the Serpentine! Dover is fun. Cantebury? Load up on the Olympics souveniers!!!
    Hey Thanks for the comment chowmi!

Yes, we did Harrods on the last 3 trips here (not yet this trip), Tower of London on the first trip (but we've walked right past it, even 2 days ago), and V&A on the first trip I think.
    Haven't yet been to the Imperial War museum, but it sounds very interesting...

And yes, I'm planning to check out the Serpentine group on Saturday. Have you swum with them?
    I've heard the water at The Serpentine is still a bit brisk, hope I can handle it.