View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Tuesday 05292012: PM Swim in London

Rate this Entry
did another swim workout with Otter Masters Swim club here in London
tonight's workout was 8-9:30pm @ Guy's Hospital pool (SCM) (just a 2-3 min walk from my hotel)
I didn't get the coach's name...

warm-up sets:
400 swim
4 x 100 kick @ 2:15
4 x 50 @ 1:00, desc 1-4
4 x 50 @ 1:15, first 25 fast/easy 25

main sets:
10 x 200 @ 3:15
(did 1-6 all free, 7-8 175 free/25 breast, 9-10 150 free/50 breast)
10 x 100 IM @ 1:50 (did fly drill, other strokes normal)

wrap-up:
2 x 50 @ 1:10, 25 FAST/25 easy
200 easy

TTL: 4500m

I've swum in this pool before; it isn't the best...only 4 (narrow) lanes, the wall lanes are especially bad with ladders, and a huge contrast between shallow and deep ends. but it is water to swim in.

of the 4 lanes, 2 swam on the left, 2 on the right. initially I went in the fastest lane (a wall lane), swimming on the right, simply because there were just 2 others there. but after 200, I realized I bit off more than I could chew, so I moved over 2 lanes, into the mosh pit with 8+ others...

after the warm-up set, we split out into sprint and distance groups. my lane decided on distance...I really wanted to do 10 x 200 @ 3:00, but I made a bunch of enemies just suggesting it.
I went #3 in the lane (could have easily gone 2, maybe even led the lane), but I just cruised the first few. I was holding 2:40-2:45, and had a big gap behind me, which is why I did some breast later on.
I usually despise IM, but oddly I don't seem to mind it on this trip, the back and breast at least. heck one of these days I'll do some real IM, so it isn't such a shock when I do it at a meet next time

we had a great trip to Dover yesterday...the trip down is super easy, as the station just across the street from the hotel has direct trains, and it is just 90 min. we toured the Dover Castle, then went down to the beach... I was so tempted to go in the water (I did bring a suit/goggles with me), but the water felt a bit brisk. the beach isn't sand either, it is all rock, which was a bit surprising.
today was mostly a relaxing day in London. we walked over to St Paul's, I climbed to the top of the dome. we wandered around a bit, and went to the Twining's original tea store (free samples!). then we went over to the IMAX theater, where we picked up our ticket's for Saturday's showing of, "Prometheus." (it is released a week early over here).

tomorrow we're going up to Oxford, then probably Hampton Court on Thursday.
I'm planning a bit of an adventure for Saturday morning...I'm planning to swim with the Serpentine masters group @ Hyde Park. they have races every Saturday, so I figure the adrenaline of racing should overcome the shock of cold water.

Submit "Tuesday 05292012:  PM Swim in London" to Digg Submit "Tuesday 05292012:  PM Swim in London" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday 05292012:  PM Swim in London" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday 05292012:  PM Swim in London" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Sound like a great trip! I'm looking forward to Prometheus too.

Good luck on Saturday!
    Did you move to London? Seems like you have been there forever, and oyu are staying until Saturday? Are you trying to get MedJet to cover your return?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Sound like a great trip! I'm looking forward to Prometheus too.

Good luck on Saturday!
    I got into Aliens (saw it with friends while in high school), and saw all of the others in the theater too. There was a 3D preview for Prometheus before MIB 3 (more of a teaser), just glad it is just a few days off. A few other friends are really jealous I'll see it before them, so I told them I'll post all about it on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Did you move to London? Seems like you have been there forever, and oyu are staying until Saturday? Are you trying to get MedJet to cover your return?
    Lol I wish I could move here...or at least spend summer here when it is warm in PHX.
    We got in last Wed, and we're here through next Monday...then off to Frankfurt for a few days before we head home. And very conveniently, there's a 25m pool right in the Frankfurt Hilton (hope the water is at a reasonable temp for swimming)
    German pools seem to be on the cool side, about 76F.