View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Friday 06012012: o/w swim in The Serpentine

Rate this Entry
I ended up skipping the Otter team swim last night, in lieu of going to swim in The Serpentine this morning.

I got up early, headed out to the Tube, took it to Knightsbridge (the same as Harrod's), and went north to Hyde Park. I got to the Serpentine and snapped this picture:

Walked over to the main swimming area, and found 2 guys who directed me to the changing area. I stowed my backpack, put on my drag suit, grabbed my goggles, and went to the water.

There's a little dock-type structure with a ladder on the end. There were 3-4 people in the water when I started. I went down the ladder...which I hate because it exposed me to the cold water gradually--I'd rather jump in and get it over all at once (like ripping off a Band-Aid).

Online the water temp was listed as 20C, which is around 68-70F. I've been in 65F water before, not pleasant but doable. The water today felt around 70F I'd guess.

I got in the water, started with a little freestyle, but my lungs briefly started to seize up. I switched to some breaststroke to calm myself down, and after 5-6 strokes I switched back to free.

So the swim...
There's a 55 yard course setup within buoys. As there weren't many people when I started, I just stayed in that area. 55 yards down, then the same back...13 times.
I was thinking of getting out, when on that 13th time, a guy just faster than me went under the buoy...and went nearly to the bridge (I guess another 55 yards). So I followed him down, then went back, but stayed just outside the buoys, but followed the course back to about that area.

So I'd guess my total was 1760 yards.

(edited: right around 3500 yards, I'm too lazy to add it all up)

After I climbed out, I looked around and there were just tons of people in the water, about 70% wearing wetsuits, and several more about to go in. I went over to the outside shower, which was even colder than the Serpentine water, so I barely rinsed off, then went back to the changing area (was glad I brought a rugby shirt), got dressed.

Before I left, I went back and chatted with the gal who was sitting kinda guarding the dock (she wasn't there when I got there). She said they'd be doing relay races tomorrow, but just inside the buoy'ed area...and anyone can swim as long as they don't interfere. I guess I'll decide if I want to get up early to go over for this again.

Submit "Friday 06012012:  o/w swim in The Serpentine" to Digg Submit "Friday 06012012:  o/w swim in The Serpentine" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday 06012012:  o/w swim in The Serpentine" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday 06012012:  o/w swim in The Serpentine" to Google

Updated June 1st, 2012 at 11:50 AM by aztimm

Tags: open water
Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

68-70 isn't bad. Then again, it might be rough for you "skinny" folks. The Serpentine looks cool.
    Interesting. Not sure that sounds all that fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    68-70 isn't bad. Then again, it might be rough for you "skinny" folks. The Serpentine looks cool.
    Well I'm not quite as skinny as I've been
    I think the bigger factor is living in such a warm climate. They say (not sure how much truth there is to it) that it thins your blood after a few years, and makes you notice cold weather much more. I do know when I go to visit family in PA I need an extra blanket, even in Oct. I'll be there for Thanksgiving weekend (part of it I guess), as my 25th high school reunion is happening.

As to the lake, it is concrete nearly the whole way, with some dirt/silt on the bottom. It wasn't too deep, I could stand for much of it, if I really wanted to (I did once or twice).
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Interesting. Not sure that sounds all that fun.
    It was a bit more fun as more people showed up and I had people to swim with. But at first it was a bit boring. I was pretending that swimsuit_addict was swimming beside me

And when I figured out that the distance was half what I originally thought it was a bit depressing. I had left the map up from the Serpentine swim site, when I just booted up my computer I got suddenly happy (less than 2000 yards in an hour didn't sound right).

Some people are more suited to be pool swimmers, some open water I guess. Pools are ok, just like running on a track is. But I'd much rather swim where I can actually go somewhere
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    It was a bit more fun as more people showed up and I had people to swim with. But at first it was a bit boring. I was pretending that swimsuit_addict was swimming beside me
    No wonder I'm tired, having to swim both actually in Iceland and virtually in London!

(Glad to be of help though . . .)
    I got in the water, started with a little freestyle, but my lungs briefly started to seize up. I switched to some breaststroke to calm myself down, and after 5-6 strokes I switched back to free.
    For me, fly seems to work - it's mentally a bigger negative than the cold water, i think . Although i did br too to calm down the last time i was really hyperventing in cold water.