View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Mon PM-Tues workouts 0611-06122012

Rate this Entry
went to the gym after work last night. I was able to slip out of work around 4:30, which made a HUGE difference...both in getting to the gym, and in the volume of people there. I was on the treadmill and already got in 1/2 mile by 5.

Tmill: 21 min, 268 cal, 2.35 miles, avg 6.7 mph
2 min warmup
Jog at 6.7 to 7.5 mph
1 min warmdown

felt pretty decent.

Leg rolling: 5 min (quads and IT bands really sore and tight)

Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:30
Side planks: 3:00, done as 2 x (right then left) at :45 each

Various stretches and some pushups

Incline bench: 1 x 12 x 95, 2 x 8 x 135

Triceps skull crushers: 3 x 10 x 65 + 5 narrow presses after each round

Freemotion dual cable cross chest fly: 1 x 15 x 70, 1 x 12 x 80, 2 x 10 x 85, 2 x 8 x 90

Leg raises on captain's chair: 3 x 15

My legs are really fried from my run on Saturday. I really should know better...well I do know better, but did it anyway. the foam rolling was kinda painful, but I know it is good for me. I did ice yesterday, and icing right now. hope they're back to normal soon.

this morning, I did a little warm-up spin (~15 miles) then met my friend Nick for another spin:

AM Spin around S Chandler, to 40th St/Pecos + Sheraton 47.66 mi 02:30 19.0mph pace

Did another spin with Nick this morning. I did a warm-up ~15 miles before meeting him, then we took Riggs over to Maricopa Rd, then up to 40th St/Pecos, with a stop at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass on the way back. We split up at AZ Ave/QC, and I was going through the airport on my way home...when I got a puncture on my rear tire. I stopped to fix it, but both my CO2 tubes were empty. So I had to call for a ride back, just a mile. Oh well...at least I had a good spin before that.
Distance: 47.66 mi
Time: 2:30:37
Avg Speed: 19.0 mph
Elevation Gain: 135 ft
http://app.strava.com/rides/10651953

I was really ticked about the flat. I thought of just walking the bike home rather than even try to deal with it, but with nicer bike shoes with cleats, I would have really trashed them. I ordered Kool Kovers today...they're supposed to make things a bit easier for walking.
then somehow my chain got really messed up. I had a work conf call, so I dealt with the bike after that...and proceeded to get both hands, an arm, and a leg all trashed, without success. So I just put it all in my car and went to the shop (~2 miles away), and they had it back to normal in ~3 min. I wanted more spare tubes and CO2 tubes anyway.

after work today, I went up to Mesa-Kino for the PM masters swim workout.
we were in the main pool (SCY)
Jack was on deck coaching

got in about 800 w/u (I was early, and didn't really count)

16 x 25 @ :10 rest
--odds free
--evens stroke (I did #2 breast, #4 back, was going to vary them, but then Jack started giving me feedback so I did all the other evens backstroke)

200, broken every 50 for 20 sec
(adjusted time 2:18)

12 x 25 backstroke @ :10 rest
focus on long underwater dolphin kicks off the walls

200, broken every 50 for 15 sec

8 x 25 breaststroke @ :10 rest
2 kicks per pull. focus on kicking when hands in front (and Jack had me work on my head position too)

200, broken every 50 for 10 sec

6 x 25 free @ :10 rest
just float through them, easy, recovery...get ready for next set

200 for time (2:24)

300 easy w/d

TTL: 2950 yards

there was some sort of synchro competition going on in the diving well. the warm-up pool was open for open swim (one lane for lap swimming, the rest for splashing around), and the slides were open--maybe we'll do slide drills sometime

we had 4 lanes of the main pool--and a whopping 4 swimmers. I hadn't seen a group this small for ages. the last time I went to a PM workout, we started with 2 lanes and 8 or so per lane.
the small group made it easy to get lots of individual feedback. I'm not opposed to doing backstroke, but I usually just don't do this much. once Jack started giving feedback, I wanted to continue so I could work on his suggestions...then he gave more.

speaking of backstroke... since I just don't do that much, I don't know how the flags work. I'd swear that one side was much closer to the wall--I jammed my fingers on the 12 x 25 set. I said something to Jack, and he said how they're strung over 50m, with no brackets holding them in place, with winds blowing them around...so I was probably right. I learned quickly with that one end, then I was stopping short on the other.

the water felt warm--I'd guess 84-85. I commented to a gal that it would be so much nicer if it were 3 degrees cooler. she said how specific that was

anyway, at least my 200s were fairly consistent (I don't remember all the splits, but they did vary from set to set). I was a hair ahead of the other guy on the first round. on the 1st 50 of round 2, he beat me by a sec, then I noticed he put fins on. that just made me want to push more...and I ended up beating him overall, and on the rest.
I should be able to do a 200 for time in 2:18 or better...but I'm still recovering from jet lag, running foolishness, biking foolishness, and I'm sure I can make up many other excuses

Submit "Mon PM-Tues workouts 0611-06122012" to Digg Submit "Mon PM-Tues workouts 0611-06122012" to del.icio.us Submit "Mon PM-Tues workouts 0611-06122012" to StumbleUpon Submit "Mon PM-Tues workouts 0611-06122012" to Google

Comments