50 EZ

Speed Sets:

3 x (5 x 50 w/fins) @ 1:30
round 1 = dolphin kick on belly, 10/12/14/16/18 kicks fast + cruise
round 2 = breast, 4/5/6/7/8 strokes fast
round 3 = dolphin kick on back, 10/12/14/16/21 kicks fast
-- did a 25 AFAP on the last one, high 8-9 flat
50 EZ between rounds
-- had a mini break in there to commiserate with another masters swimmer b/c a noodler was complaining about splashing
-- wanted to do one round free but my shoulder hurt

25 EZ

1 x 50 fast backstroke @ 90%/100 pace from blocks, rolling start
-- 29 high 30 flat
-- was pissed at myself that I spaced out and only did 14 SDK on the second 25
200 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP backstroke from the blocks, rolling start
-- 28 high-29 flat
175 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP dolphin kick w/board & fins
-- 24 high
200 EZ

Total: 2950

30 minutes RC/scapula exercises

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I took the main sets from Workout #5 on the HIT forum: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=20856"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]. I'll do #2 tomorrow and either #1 or #3 on Wednesday.

I'm rather annoyed that my shoulder feels worse the last couple days than after PRP last week. (Banging head against wall.) I feel like I can't miss even one day of RC exercises without consequences. I also slept on my shoulder and tossed some last night, never helpful, and maybe why it hurts.

I've been so busy lately that I didn't really realize it was taper time until I had to post the HIT workouts. With this workout down, only 17 days to go!

Submit "Monday, June 18" to Digg Submit "Monday, June 18" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday, June 18" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday, June 18" to Google

Updated June 18th, 2012 at 10:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    to answer your question about the FINA wedges on the starting blocks from yesterday's blog... Yes, you have enough time. It's pretty simple. I like the wedge as far back as possible b/c it helps with my back and helps me pull back to get the slingshot effect.

In Italy, they had professional photogs taking multiple pics of every heat so you could get a pic of yourself if they happened to get you. It was very cool. Anyway, there was a pic of my heat going off the blocks and everyone's hands are forward except mine. You can see they're by my side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    to answer your question about the FINA wedges on the starting blocks from yesterday's blog... Yes, you have enough time. It's pretty simple. I like the wedge as far back as possible b/c it helps with my back and helps me pull back to get the slingshot effect.

In Italy, they had professional photogs taking multiple pics of every heat so you could get a pic of yourself if they happened to get you. It was very cool. Anyway, there was a pic of my heat going off the blocks and everyone's hands are forward except mine. You can see they're by my side.
    I'd love to learn that start, but am too leery to try it first in a meet. Especially a meet like nationals. I've been having better luck with a neutral start lately. But I've read the wedge may give up up to .5.
    Though I'm not known for fast starts, I prefer a slight lean forward on my shorter races. I've only used a starting wedge a couple of times, but I've always needed it all the way back. I guess it'll depend upon how large/long the blocks are. I remember blocks at Indy, I think, decades ago that were like platforms -- super long. I guess we'll get a good sense of the shape of the Trials pool blocks once we watch the pros go off them.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Though I'm not known for fast starts, I prefer a slight lean forward on my shorter races. I've only used a starting wedge a couple of times, but I've always needed it all the way back. I guess it'll depend upon how large/long the blocks are. I remember blocks at Indy, I think, decades ago that were like platforms -- super long. I guess we'll get a good sense of the shape of the Trials pool blocks once we watch the pros go off them.
    At a foot shorter than you, I'm wondering where the heck I'm supposed to put the wedge!

I've always felt bad for tall guys at meets where the blocks are not long.
    I like the neutral start as well, but would like to try the slingshot at some point to see if i can dislocate something.
    They had the same thing at the Canadian Nats last month. I'm the same way in my shots...head first arms at my side in the air. I'm so "on edge" leaning forward with track start, that if someone drops something near me I'm false starting. I guess this accounts for my repeated 0.66-0.69 reaction times off the blocks. So much for being a middle-D guy, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    They had the same thing at the Canadian Nats last month. I'm the same way in my shots...head first arms at my side in the air. I'm so "on edge" leaning forward with track start, that if someone drops something near me I'm false starting. I guess this accounts for my repeated 0.66-0.69 reaction times off the blocks. So much for being a middle-D guy, huh?
    Well, unlike Water Rat, at least you both train and race like a mid-D guy. If you can get off that blocks that fast, you should be able to get your arms moving fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Well, unlike Water Rat, at least you both train and race like a mid-D guy. If you can get off that blocks that fast, you should be able to get your arms moving fast!
    I did post a 27.1 50 and 59.5 100 in LCM. I honestly did have to think about armspeed turnover during the race though...just doesn't feel natural.
    Oh, and I tried some fast 50s kick w/ fins today in the pool as well. I'm a sprinter now!!

Honestly, and I hate to admit it, it comes down to lack of strength. I just don't do the weights like I used to back in college days, and I have to admit, they do help a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Oh, and I tried some fast 50s kick w/ fins today in the pool as well. I'm a sprinter now!!
    What is this little tidbit? Can you kick a finless 30? If not, you're getting hammered by an "old lady."

Your turnover would speed up if you did more fast 25s and fast 50s. And, yes, weights help. But you've got young kids and a job. I started masters at 44 and honestly don't think I could have done it any earlier b/c I was too busy. Running was much more time efficient to get some exercise.
    What is this little tidbit? Can you kick a finless 30? If not, you're getting hammered by an "old lady."
    Well, I guess I'm going to enjoy getting hammered then! And yes I can kick a finless 30 yards (not seconds). I think a month ago or so when I tried I hit a :36 for a AFAP kick w/ board. I don't really kick that often without a board.
    Your turnover would speed up if you did more fast 25s and fast 50s. And, yes, weights help. But you've got young kids and a job. I started masters at 44 and honestly don't think I could have done it any earlier b/c I was too busy. Running was much more time efficient to get some exercise.
    I'm just going to do what I can here at home for dryland/strength stuff. I can get it done...just have to get my @ss out of the chair first! And running...NO WAY JOSE!!! My knee would do something really really bad.
    James, I'd kill for that reaction time but you can keep the 2fly's.
    I'd kill for that reaction time
    But... how?
    James, I'd kill for that reaction time but you can keep the 2fly's.
    Ditto.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    But... how?
    I'm more James Bond - quick clean and no mess. Lol
    We have the wedges on our blocks, but we don't use them in master's meets because its too hard for the older swimmers to get up on the blocks with the wedges there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinj
    We have the wedges on our blocks, but we don't use them in master's meets because its too hard for the older swimmers to get up on the blocks with the wedges there.
    I wonder what they did about this issue at Worlds? I hope we get to try them in Omaha.
    I wonder what they did about this issue at Worlds? I hope we get to try them in Omaha.
    The challenge with our blocks is that there is only a small step on the side. If there was a larger step at the rear of the blocks it would not be so difficult. Maybe that's what they did at worlds.

The other problem is that they are difficult to adjust. On more than one occasion, the wedge has flown off the back of the blocks because the pins holding it in were not engaged.

Still, I rather use them, then not. Hopefully we figure out a solution before we host nationals next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinj
    The challenge with our blocks is that there is only a small step on the side. If there was a larger step at the rear of the blocks it would not be so difficult. Maybe that's what they did at worlds.

The other problem is that they are difficult to adjust. On more than one occasion, the wedge has flown off the back of the blocks because the pins holding it in were not engaged.

Still, I rather use them, then not. Hopefully we figure out a solution before we host nationals next year.
    at worlds they weren't that far off the ground and they had a large surface area and not very steep. You couldn't take the wedge off the track. It just slid up and back. No pin involved.
    at worlds they weren't that far off the ground and they had a large surface area and not very steep. You couldn't take the wedge off the track. It just slid up and back. No pin involved.
    The pic posted by TG looks like it just slides back and forth. I hope I get a chance Thursday to go off the blocks and figure where the wedge should be. Though I may be able to test it out during the 10:25 am warm up on Friday am.
    The pic posted by TG looks like it just slides back and forth. I hope I get a chance Thursday to go off the blocks and figure where the wedge should be. Though I may be able to test it out during the 10:25 am warm up on Friday am.
    Federal Way had the slanted blocks at 2011 PNA Championships. (They weren't there this year though, no idea why) They were pretty easy to slide back and forth. I remember my first two practice starts:

1. that was kinda weird
    2. Aw YeAh!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast