View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Tues-Wed 0619-06202012 workouts

Rate this Entry
went out for a little spin yesterday before work:

Home to 40th St/Pecos & Wild Horse Pass 36.73 mi 01:54 19.3mph pace

Just a short solo ride for me this morning. Have a bunch of meetings so didn't have as much time. Left home headed west to an odd headwind (usually winds are from the east in the morning). The nice thing was I was nice and fresh so it didn't bother me as much. Did my usual QC ride out toward Ahwatukee, up to 40th St/Pecos, then swung by the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass on the return. I had a nice tailwind on QC for the return, which made that earlier headwind all that much better. Odd, this was my shortest ride in weeks...yet just a few months ago this would have been long for me.
http://app.strava.com/rides/11198203

I was planning to swim the 6pm workout at Kino last night, but received an email during the day that a pipe burst there and all workouts were canceled. I briefly considered dropping in with Sun Devil Masters or PHX Swim Club, but didn't want to deal with that. I thought of going to the gym... but just ended up skipping.
it actually felt really nice. we watched the latest True Blood, and I was in bed by 9:30, probably earlier.
I slept so well, and felt like I could have slept even later when my alarm went off.

went up to Mesa-Skyline this morning for the AM masters swim workout
we were in the main pool (SCY)
Tony was coaching

got in 500 w/u choice

transition set:
6 x 50 @ 1:00, desc 1-3/4-6

main sets:
10 x 50 @ :50
6 x 50 @ :20 rest drill
10 x 50 @ 1:00 stroke (did breast)
11 x 50 @ :45 (we goofed and did an extra)

200 w/d

TTL: 3450 yards

Skyline was super crowded! Kino was still closed due to the burst pipe, and all of the kids groups were over at Skyline.
a few of the usual Kino masters came over, but it really wasn't too bad. I think we had 5 or 6 lanes (25 yard lanes), with 3 per lane.
water temp wasn't too bad either. I'd guess 81 or 82; still warmer than I'd like, but cooler than it was Monday.

initially when Tony gave the set I wasn't too happy. don't know why, but I was all in the mood for 200s today. but once I got into it, the set went pretty well.

after another busy day at work, I headed down to a Toastmasters meeting. then after that, I just went to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness:

Tmill: 28 min, 376 cal, 3.29 miles, avg 7.0 mph
2 min warmup
Start at 6.8 mph and increase .1 mph per 3 min to 17 min
Then increase .1 per min, to 8.2 mph
1 min warmdown

Leg rolling: 4 min
Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:45
Flutter kicks on Bosu ball: 3 x 30

Incline bench: 1 x 15 x 45 (empty bar), 2 x 12 x 115, 2 x 8 x 135

Triceps standing rope pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 50, 2 x 12 x 60, 2 x 8 x 70

Dumbbell chest fly on decline bench: 1 x 15 x 45's, 1 x 12 x 50's, 1 x 10 x 55's, 2 x 8 x 60's

Leg raises on captain's chair: 3 x 15

the gym really wasn't too crowded, and the temp inside wasn't nearly as warm as I remember from the last time I worked out there (non-swimming).
yea running on the tmill gets me all drenched, but I think that would happen even if the temp were 5 degrees cooler. as with swimming, I'd prefer cooler temps for running...but I'll take what I'm given.

that said, after going to Lifetime last week, this gym really didn't seem as bad as I remembered. yea the locker rooms are basic, but the weights, cardio, and stretching areas are all on-par.

I felt really good running. maybe I'm finally getting over my non-running mood. again had some good music to help me through. so the treadmills weren't even half full, yet a guy had to go on the one right next to me.

felt good on weights also. I could have pushed things even more...I used to dislike incline bench, but that felt better than my last decline session. and I felt good all the way through the flys.

Submit "Tues-Wed 0619-06202012 workouts" to Digg Submit "Tues-Wed 0619-06202012 workouts" to del.icio.us Submit "Tues-Wed 0619-06202012 workouts" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tues-Wed 0619-06202012 workouts" to Google

Comments

Bummer about Kino ... it's great they have the backup (even better) pool option.

I hope the pipe gets fixed before the little meet on Saturday.
    Toastmasters? Really? You will have to tell me more about that, once we get an audience to listen to you tell it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Bummer about Kino ... it's great they have the backup (even better) pool option.

I hope the pipe gets fixed before the little meet on Saturday.
    Supposedly everything at Kino was fixed for the noon workout yesterday.
    But unfortunately, the meet is canceled due to low enrollment.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Toastmasters? Really? You will have to tell me more about that, once we get an audience to listen to you tell it.
    Lol, true, you need an audience

I started going to Toastmasters in Feb, and joined after 3 meetings. We did mid-year elections yesterday...there was a vacancy for Secretary, and somehow I'm now roped in for that role. I have to attend training soon.

But overall, it is a great experience. Kind of like a public speaking class that is ongoing. It really teaches you about how you speak, listen, and organize effective meetings.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Lol, true, you need an audience

I started going to Toastmasters in Feb, and joined after 3 meetings. We did mid-year elections yesterday...there was a vacancy for Secretary, and somehow I'm now roped in for that role. I have to attend training soon.

But overall, it is a great experience. Kind of like a public speaking class that is ongoing. It really teaches you about how you speak, listen, and organize effective meetings.
    As my husband says, the first time you attend a meeting. But the next time, you are heading one of the committees.