View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Weekend 0623-06242012 workouts

Rate this Entry
by , June 25th, 2012 at 12:02 AM (103 Views)
did a rare group ride yesterday--

Focus shop group ride 64.39 mi 03:29 18.5mph pace

Thought I'd try something different today and rode over to the Focus shop for their weekly group ride. I was apprehensive of trying a group, never know what to expect. Overall, it wasn't too bad. It certainly wasn't a walk in the park, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. We went from Gilbert/Pecos over Pecos to way east Gilbert/Mesa, eventually up to Sossoman, where we crossed the US-60. Somewhere in there I got dropped--big time. I was riding solo for around 5 miles, had given up any hope of catching the group...when I stumbled on them because a guy had a flat. We stopped at a gas station in AJ, meandered over to Usery. I had never done Usery from Mesa, only the other way. It was a blast going down it. And surprisingly, I wasn't the last climbing back up (at least 3 guys behind me). The ride back was very mellow, with people dropping out along the way. We had another gas station pit stop. Very friendly group, almost everyone dropped back to chat with me at some point. Most were rather surprised when I told them I had only been cycling since Dec. Weather wasn't too horrible, better at the start, warm when we finished.
http://app.strava.com/rides/11533922

I really felt like saying to those guys who came up the hill after me, "maybe if you hadn't blown your legs on that flat stretch you'd have taken that hill faster," but I think I'd prefer not getting punched, during a ride at least.
But seriously, they announced the route Friday on Facebook. I knew much of it, I had ridden Usery a few times before (just last week actually), and there was absolutely no way I'd do crazy sprinting before taking on a hill like that. Evidently not everyone feels the same.
This is something that was kinda cool, and I'll do it again. Not every day or even every week, but I think I'll make it at least a monthly routine, if not more often. It certainly is more interesting than riding solo. It just feels safer riding with more people.

this morning I did another rarity, went out for a run

Paseo Trail, home to QC, on to Fry 5.61 mi 00:50 08:52 pace

Thought I'd take Holly out for a run along the canal this morning, goal of ~5 miles. She went out strong, but quickly faded. Around 1-1/2 miles in, around QC road, we took a break and I decided to turn around. We breaked again at Los Arboles Park, then I nearly had to pull her home (taking my pace way down to a 9:30 to 10 min/mile). Dropped her off, put ice in her water...then went back out. Initially I was just going to go up to Pecos, but pushed things and went up to Fry Rd. I felt pretty good..had a nice sprinty finish. Probably could have gone further, but didn't want to ruin a good thing. Weather was warm--sunny and mid-80s even at 6:30 when we started. Very slight breeze.
http://app.strava.com/runs/11609888

Holly was pretty wiped out, but still had enough energy to jump on me when I came in after I finished the solo portion of my run. but she slept much of the day after that.
I want to do at least 1 loop of Central Park while in NYC this week...so figured I should get out for a real run. I'll probably run once near my hotel on Wed or Thurs, then do CP on Saturday morning (together with thousands of others I'm sure).

then late this afternoon, I went over to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness for a solo swim
pool is 25 yards (SCY)
I had the solo lap lane

did a 'fun with 500s' set, each of these sub-sets are all 500--

warm-up: 500 various

kick set:
5 x 100 @ 5-10 sec rest, with board + fins
odds: free
evens: fly

pull set:
2 x 250 @ 3:30, with paddles + buoy

transition set:
10 x 50 @ :55
descend 1-4, 5-7, 8-9, and another fast on #10
(fast swims were about :34)

main set:
400 free for time (5:09)
100 easy

fun Oreo set:
3 x 150 @ 2:30, done 50 free/50 breast/50 free
50 easy

sprints/warm-down
50 fast breast for time (:40)
100 easy
100 fast free for time (1:08)
250 easy w/d

TTL: 3500 yards, in about 55 min

I went to the gym without a real idea, then suddenly thought of this, and it worked out really well. I sometimes either get into the main set too soon, or waste too much time with warm-ups when I swim solo, but this gave a good balance.

with my Statue of Liberty Swim (http://www.nycswim.org/Event/Event.aspx?Event_ID=2204) on Friday, I figured I should do a longish swim for time. the swim is only 1200m, but with a mix of with and against current. I'm ok with my time, not my fastest (I've gone around 4:50 before, in team workouts in decent pools), and considering running today/biking yesterday, my legs were far from fresh.

speaking of fresh legs, I really felt them on the next Oreo set. on the 2nd breast leg I suddenly felt like, "what they heck happened to my legs?"

after that feeling, I knew that for my final fast swims if I didn't start with breast it wouldn't happen. initially I was just going to do 50 breast/50 free, but then I thought I should do more prep for Friday.

anyway overall a decent swim. I was glad I grabbed the lap lane, there was a family in the open area, and I'd rather not have to deal with others if I don't have to.

I'm planning a very rare Monday AM spin tomorrow. I was going to rent a bike and ride in NYC, but packing my stuff and finding the time to actually ride will be a challenge (together with everything else we have planned). so I'll go 8 days without riding, but I can live with that. I'll just do another solo gym swim later tomorrow.

Submit "Weekend 0623-06242012 workouts" to Digg Submit "Weekend 0623-06242012 workouts" to del.icio.us Submit "Weekend 0623-06242012 workouts" to StumbleUpon Submit "Weekend 0623-06242012 workouts" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Running , Cycling

Comments

Wait, hold on a sec... you have been living in sin for 17 years? Are you sure he is the one?*

* This topic surely breaks some USMS rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain

* This topic surely breaks some USMS rules.
    Hmm, maybe that's why I deleted that part from my post?

I was curious how it worked with the emailed subscriptions, now I know they get whatever is in the original post.
    I guess I need to subscribe to read the complete story ...
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I guess I need to subscribe to read the complete story ...
    Lol, I provided a link to this story that someone on Flyertalk did on me (he wrote it up, published it, then let me know).

I provided a little more detail in my original post, but I don't remember specifically what. Oh, I do remember I gave kudos to swimsuit addict for agreeing to be a witness for us

And if I get complaints from people, moderators, whatnot, I'll remove the link.