View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

No Power, Sat & Sun

Rate this Entry
Disaster struck Friday night. A strange storm barreled through northern Virginia leaving over 2 million without power. I'm in day three of no power. And there is no fix date for my area listed on the website. We are simultaneously getting a heat wave. I haven't slept for two nights because of heat. (All hotels in a 2 hour radius at booked.). Got up to take cold showers twice in the middle of the night. I've heard estimates of 5-7 days ... I may just have to drive up to Pittsburgh where friends have power if this persists. I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around Nationals if I can't sleep. I don't really want a repeat of day one at Greensboro. That was not fun.

My gym and all pools are closed. Saturday was the first time I remember an NVSL meet ever being cancelled. But another Sport & Health member club is open. I swam 1400 meters there yesterday and did 30 minutes of RC and stretching. Will do the same today.

Keep your fingers crossed for power!

Submit "No Power, Sat & Sun" to Digg Submit "No Power, Sat & Sun" to del.icio.us Submit "No Power, Sat & Sun" to StumbleUpon Submit "No Power, Sat & Sun" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

  1. Water Rat's Avatar
    Come to Pitt!
  2. pwb's Avatar
    O, man, that's gotta suck big time. I hope the power gets back soon. Maybe you should just change your flight and head to Omaha early? Catch the 50 and 1500 final Monday night and do the rest of your taper there!
  3. qbrain's Avatar
    Ok this is ridiculous. Get with it East coast! How often does the news have to cover wind/ice knocking out huge swathes of consumers power being knocked out before power companies are held accountable for a problem they are unwilling to spend the money on resolving? Bury the power lines? Digging a hole isn't exactly cutting edge technology.

    Good luck Fort.
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat;
    Come to Pitt!
    I would but finally got a room in a hotel near Dulles. I was sleeping down on the first floor of my house instead of the third floor, but it was still an oven. Couldn't take another night!
  5. aztimm's Avatar
    Hope things get fixed soon... On the plus side, whenever you have issues before meets, it usually means you'll do really well

    Being here in NYC in this heat mess, we've been planning our days around things with a/c (like going to the MET yesterday). Without the lure of a/c, I can't imagine being here right now.
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    O, man, that's gotta suck big time. I hope the power gets back soon. Maybe you should just change your flight and head to Omaha early? Catch the 50 and 1500 final Monday night and do the rest of your taper there!
    This was not the taper I envisioned. Hadn't thought about flight changes .... Not a bad idea. Did, finally, score a hotel room. So hopefully can get some sleep. Exhaustion doesn't make for excitement.
  7. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Ok this is ridiculous. Get with it East coast! How often does the news have to cover wind/ice knocking out huge swathes of consumers power being knocked out before power companies are held accountable for a problem they are unwilling to spend the money on resolving? Bury the power lines? Digging a hole isn't exactly cutting edge technology.

    Good luck Fort.
    No kidding. There was a litany of excuses given. This is far worse than losing power in the winter. Its down right unsafe with the heat wave. On top of it all, I just heard the water supply is unsafe, and I've been drinking it. Seems like half of my town has power back, but there are trees on top of power lines and a smashed pole two blocks from my house. I saw a crew there working on removing the trees, but then nada. Bad timing for me. At least Fort Son and Teen Fort (just got home) have friends with power that they can stay with. My friends don't have power. One friend can't leave his house because there at trees down on his road.
  8. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Hope things get fixed soon... On the plus side, whenever you have issues before meets, it usually means you'll do really well

    Being here in NYC in this heat mess, we've been planning our days around things with a/c (like going to the MET yesterday). Without the lure of a/c, I can't imagine being here right now.
    I had been looking forward to a deliciously lazy weekend sitting on the couch watching sports in AC. Stressed and exhausted before Nats I'd not ideal.

    Stay inside! Absolutely no reason to endure 100 degree temps!
  9. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    Wilson in NW DC is very much open. I went there Saturday morning. Also I'm very lucky and got my electricity back on before it got super hot.
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Wilson in NW DC is very much open. I went there Saturday morning. Also I'm very lucky and got my electricity back on before it got super hot.
    Thx Jazz. Fortunately, our summer league pool re-opened this afternoon so I got a taper workout in (after S&H was shut down by a stupid kid). I heard Arlington had power. Stay cool! If I don't have power tomorrow, I am going to be rip sh*t pissed. I already threw out many $100s of groceries and my lawn is dying.
  11. That Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I am going to be rip sh*t pissed.
    Well it wouldn't be a Fort taper without some good old fashioned
  12. slknight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Thx Jazz. Fortunately, our summer league pool re-opened this afternoon so I got a taper workout in (after S&H was shut down by a stupid kid). I heard Arlington had power. Stay cool! If I don't have power tomorrow, I am going to be rip sh*t pissed. I already threw out many $100s of groceries and my lawn is dying.
    No, much of Arlington does NOT have power. My parents are still without and don't know when they're getting it backed - they heard it could be as long as a week.

    Sorry to hear about your situation though. I can't imagine how hot it must be.
  13. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Well it wouldn't be a Fort taper without some good ed:
    I'm not from tapering! I'm finally in a hotel room and I had to call engineering to get my TV to work. Horrible few days.
  14. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slknight
    No, much of Arlington does NOT have power. My parents are still without and don't know when they're getting it backed - they heard it could be as long as a week.

    Sorry to hear about your situation though. I can't imagine how hot it must be.

    It must just be downtown Arlington then. Poor poor parents. Hope they get power soon and that they have a basement.
  15. That Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I'm not from tapering! I'm finally in a hotel room and I had to call engineering to get my TV to work. Horrible few days.
    Go Fortress Go! MOAR ASTERISKS!!!
  16. The Fortress's Avatar
    . Are you suggesting I'm pre-excusing?
  17. That Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    . Are you suggesting I'm pre-excusing?
    is that like pre-boarding? I've got a plane to catch in 48 hours so I guess I'm pre-boarding... uh... now? Maybe I've always been pre-boarding.
  18. poolraat's Avatar
    Sucks how things happen to screw up taper. Just posted about it on my blog. Oh well!