View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Monday 10012012 workouts

Rate this Entry
by , October 2nd, 2012 at 12:17 AM (85 Views)
went up to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters swim workout
we were in the main pool (SCY)
Paul coached solo

prior to getting in, Paul warned me that the water was chilly. he said 76, but oddly, I felt fine.

got in 400 w/u choice

2 x (100 swim
50 kick
100 drill
50 kick)

2 x (75 IM
25 power kick
75 IM drill
25 power kick)

20 x 50 @ :45

2 x (75 swim
50 kick
75 drill
50 kick)

2 x (50 stroke
25 power kick
50 stroke drill
25 power kick)

600 pull, breathe every 3

200 w/d

TTL: 4000 yards

the water actually felt really good on my sore legs, and sore chest muscles. maybe that's why it didn't feel so cold, with sore muscles I prefer it be a little cooler. Paul did say that they'd probably start to heat next week. I said that if they just cover it overnight it would probably be fine.

the sets that don't have intervals listed (most of the workout) were supposed to be on 15 sec rest. 'supposed to be' is key; mostly it seemed like 3-5 sec for me.

I went 2nd, in my lane of 3 for most of the set. everyone complained about that 20 x 50 set in the middle, how boring it was, etc. but I actually liked it. since we did them on 45, started on the top, it was easy to keep track of where we were. and I kind of worked every 4th (just a hair).

toward the end I led the lane for some reason, big mistake. I came in after swimming a 50 and was yelled at, "go go go," to which I just replied, "I thought these were on 15 rest? you can go ahead if you like." he said no, but then shortly after that I felt a hand brushing my feet. I pulled off, where my lanemate said, "you were halfway down the pool when I started." I just said, "maybe you should go ahead then."

normally I'm a bit faster pulling, so I led the lane for that. then the same lanemate decided to draft off of me. the set was only supposed to be 500, but I wanted to see if he was counting, and he kept going with me, so evidently not. I pushed a 25 around the 200 mark (I didn't breathe every 3 for that one), to see if he'd keep up, and he did. so after that I just figured f it, and kept my own pace, breathing every 3.

later today, I actually went over to the gym
went to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview for the following:

Tmill: 25 min, 344 cal, 3 miles, avg 7.2 mph
2 min warmup
Jump to 7.0 mph, increase to 8.2
1 min cool down

Leg rolling: 5 min
Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:30
Side plank: 3 min done as 2 x (45 sec left/45 sec right)
Various stretching

Pull-ups: 8/9/10 w 5 sec horiz legs after each round

Biceps preacher curls: 2 x 12 x 85, 2 x 10 x 95

Hammer strength front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 3 x 9 x 180

Leg raises on captain's chair: 3 x 15

I was pleasantly surprised that they gym wasn't too crowded. the parking lot seemed pretty open, I had my choice of treadmills, and generally could lift what I want when I wanted.

that said, I really wasn't feeling the run for the first ~7 min. then suddenly the A-Teens version of, "Waterloo," came up on my iPhone, and it jolted me. later on, "Enter Sandman," came on...whenever I hear that song it sends shivers down my spine, but gets me going. I was going to stop, but then the song, "Car Wash," (by Rose Royce) came on, so I finished with that (that's one of the first songs I remember as a kid, well that and, "Convoy")

not sure why I felt so good doing pull-ups, but they just felt so good, and smooth.
otherwise, I didn't want to push things too much, so just did a little weights. I'll probably still be sore for swimming on Wed, but hopefully not too bad.

Submit "Monday 10012012 workouts" to Digg Submit "Monday 10012012 workouts" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday 10012012 workouts" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday 10012012 workouts" to Google

Comments