View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Wednesday 10032012, timed mile swim

Rate this Entry
by , October 4th, 2012 at 12:36 AM (72 Views)
went up to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters swim workout
we were in the main pool (SCY)
Paul coached (I think it was just him, I don't recall seeing Laura there)

got in 400 w/u choice

8 x 50 @ :50
100 easy kick
6 x 50 @ :45
100 easy kick
4 x 50 @ :40
50 easy kick

1650 for time (22:02)

100 very easy, mostly floating on my back

300 social kick

200 w/d

TTL: 3800 yards

for some reason, most swimmers were all toward one side of the pool, and Paul was trying to get more people over near the diving well. Lindsey was all alone in a lane, so I just dove in and split the lane with her.

I rather liked the mix of 50s transition set. Paul did tell us what was to come, and told me to hold upper 30s on the 50s and hold the same for the 1650. I did get a little faster from the :50 interval to the :40 interval, but certainly not 10 sec.
after those 50s @ :40 I commented to Paul, "I'm certainly warmed up now."

I've now figured out why I never swim distance events short course. at around the 700 mark (as I was getting lapped for the 2nd time by Shauna and Zach in the next lane) I realized that I wasn't even halfway done. all those turns almost made me dizzy. To me at least, it seems a bit more palatable swimming a 1500 long course, not as many turns, I can get into a rhythm swimming 50m before a turn. and my turns aren't that good, so I don't have to do as many long course--or open water.

my biceps were still pretty sore for this swim, and the cool water didn't do much to help. usually biceps don't bother me that much for swimming, but maybe it was the combo of biceps plus back/shoulders.
this is the downside of not lifting for a few weeks, when I do get back it really hits me.

I actually did chat a little during the social kick.

have you ever met someone and been undressed by them with their eyes? I had that today. well it was someone I had met before, but the way she sized me up/down, well it was almost a bit daunting.

went to Toastmasters late today, and actually did my 3rd speech. it was a good meeting.
usually after that I just go to the Chandler gym, since it is so close. but after my experience there last Friday, I decided on something else.

went to the 24 Hour Fitness in Tempe

Tmill: 22 min, 292 cal, 2.55 miles, avg 6.9 mph
2 min warmup
Jump to 7.0 mph, increase to 7.7 mph
1 min warmdown

Leg rolling: 5 min
Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:30
Side plank: 3 min, done as 2 x (45 sec right/45 sec left)

Decline bench: 3 x 9 x 135, 1 x 5 x 145

Triceps rope pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 50, 1 x 12 x 60, 2 x 9 x 70

Dumbbell chest fly: 1 x 12 x 45's, 1 x 10 x 55's, 2 x 8 x 60's

Leg raises on captain's chair: 3 x 15

Swim: 300m, mostly easy

I say this every time I go to this gym, but I really don't know why I don't go more often. it isn't that crowded, they keep it at a nice, cool temp, the weights were all racked and organized, and it really isn't a horrible location for me. yea, not the 2-3 miles from home of the Chandler location, but not bad.

that said, I really could not get into my treadmill run. maybe it was because I was watching the Presidential debate... I didn't listen to it though, kept my normal music playlist and kind of read the subtitles. the best part was when they did a split screen, watching the non-speaker's facial expressions.

trying not to push weights too much too soon, but I'm sure I'll still feel the soreness when I swim Friday morning.

usually the water in the pool here is nice and cool, but at least compared with what Kino has been like, it felt a bit warm.
at the 250 mark, I noticed a guy in the next lane racing me. I usually don't bother when this happens, but I don't know what came over me and I pushed it...all the way to the wall. I flipped, and of course that other guy stopped.

Submit "Wednesday 10032012, timed mile swim" to Digg Submit "Wednesday 10032012, timed mile swim" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday 10032012, timed mile swim" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday 10032012, timed mile swim" to Google

Comments