View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Thursday 11152012 workouts

Rate this Entry
by , November 15th, 2012 at 06:51 PM (94 Views)
I slept in a bit this morning then went over to Chandler-Hamilton for morning lap swim. got my own lane (and a middle one at that)

800 w/u, done as 4 rounds of (continuous):
125 free
50 breast
25 back

6 x 50 kick @ 1:15, board only
5 x 100 kick @ 1:55, fins + board

6 x 150 @ 2:25:
50 free
50 breast
50 free

5 x 100 @ 1:25, desc 1-5 (5th was around 1:12)

200 w/d

TTL: 3100 yards

I couldn't even remember the last time I had been to Hamilton, since I've been biking I usually do that in the morning then swim at the crummy gym pool later in the day. just the thought of the gym pool makes me depressed, and Hamilton was really nice today. it was pretty busy, I got there the same time as another guy and we took the last vacant lanes.

nothing overly taxing today, really wanted to stretch out.
I did begin that last set of 100s as pull but a strap came out on the first so I dropped them. I was kind of surprised that the 1:25 interval still felt easy. usually when I swim solo I need more generous intervals.

when I checked in with the lifeguard, they told me some bad news, well I already knew it, but not when. Hamilton will be closing in Dec for some maintenance. the Chandler City Council approved $180,000 to do some improvements to the facility (fix some deck flaking, some stuff in the locker rooms, and some safety things).
the nice thing is, rather than just close, or only use Mesquite Groves, they're opening Nozomi Aquatic Center during this time. I swam at this pool during my summer tour of Chandler pools... the pool itself is fine, the location is good (easy freeway access), but the showers are outside (there's a tarp over the area).
oh well, at least there's something for when I want a solo swim...plus the gym pool of course.

I had an 8am meeting, that really didn't require me at all. I really hate people who schedule early calls, and especially when they invite people who aren't needed. since my manager was on it, I felt like I needed to make an appearance...

anyway, after that call, I managed to sneak out for a little taper spin on my bike:
Taper spin 26.32 mi 01:24 18.8mph pace

Just a little taper spin through south Chandler. Surprisingly, I had to stop at very few stoplights, I think 3 or 4 total.
http://app.strava.com/activities/27876069

it kind of felt odd just riding around town. since I've gotten more serious, I usually go a bit further afield, and try to incorporate a hill or 2. can't get much more flat than 41 feet over 26 miles

I'll probably swim with the team tomorrow morning, then head down to Tucson early. one nice thing about working for a bank is that we have offices everywhere. so I'm working from our main Tucson office for the day tomorrow. won't have to deal with driving after work, etc. then check-in at my hotel, go to expo, and all that good stuff.
as of now, the weather on Saturday should be about perfect...low 50, high 80, sunny. Just hoping for no winds (wind has been a problem lately)

I finally renewed my USMS membership for 2013. Paul has setup Mesa as a separate team, so I think I'm now the 4th or 5th person who is a part of it for GTD (mine just crossed above 450 miles). And I think I can safely say that I'll be the only MMAC swimmer at the Boston meet

I also just registered for the Boston SCM meet:
100 IM
200 breast
50 free
200 free
400 free
100 free
100 breast
50 breast

I probably won't be able to do the 50 breast, late on the 2nd day and I'll need to catch a flight, but never know. some of those are back-to-back, but last year there seemed to be plenty of time between events. I'm certainly not out to break any records, and other than the 3 events I swam last year anything else will be a PR (possibly even some that I swam last year), so I'm not too concerned.

For anyone complaining about no SCM meets in Dec, this makes one great meet. Heck, I'm flying across country to do it.

Submit "Thursday 11152012 workouts" to Digg Submit "Thursday 11152012 workouts" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday 11152012 workouts" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday 11152012 workouts" to Google

Updated November 15th, 2012 at 07:04 PM by aztimm

Categories
Swim Workouts , Planning , Cycling

Comments

For anyone complaining about no SCM meets in Dec
    There are a lot of great SCM meets in December ... just none that I can make
    Heck, I'm flying across country to do it.
    That is equivalent of driving across town for most people.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    There are a lot of great SCM meets in December ... just none that I can make
    That's too bad. One of these years you should get to this SCM meet in Boston. Now this is odd, me going to a meet and telling you how wonderful it is
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    That is equivalent of driving across town for most people.
    Ha! With as far as James drives to go to meets, I think you're right. With PHX-BOS nonstop it probably is easier for me to do this meet than him for many of his.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Ha! With as far as James drives to go to meets, I think you're right. With PHX-BOS nonstop it probably is easier for me to do this meet than him for many of his.
    Possibly so...and I bet the travel time (once you actually get airborne) is probably faster PHX-BOS that my drives 1/2way across the state.