View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Monday 12102012 workouts

Rate this Entry
by , December 11th, 2012 at 12:00 AM (55 Views)
went up to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters swim workout this morning
we were in the main pool (SCY)
Paul coached

got in 100 w/u

8 x 100 @ :15 rest
--odds 25 scull/75 swim
--evens 75 swim/25 kick

16 x 50, done in blocks of 4:
--50 non free @ 1:00 (alternated breast and back)
--3 x 50 free @ :50

4 x 200 @ :15 rest
--odds 25 non free/25 free
--evens 25 free/25 kick

16 x 25 pull @ :30 w/buoy + paddles
--odds non free (alternated breast + back)

200 social kick (I wasn't very social, used fins on back alternating flutter and dolphin)

100 w/d

TTL: 3200 yards

I don't know how I even woke up this morning...but somehow when my alarm went off, I sprang out of bed. Holly heard me move, and immediately ran over, so there was no way I could go back to bed, without letting her out first.
after the meet yesterday I went straight to Logan, flew BOS-PHL, barely had time to grab something to eat for my PHL-PHX flight. somehow I was stuck in a middle seat in coach, although it was an exit row a middle is a middle. I had to fight for my armrests (I thought it was common courtesy that the aisle/window gave you them, but evidently these people didn't get that memo). after I wolfed down my chicken parm sandwich, I mostly passed out while watching something senseless on my computer...then listening to music after my computer battery died.

anyway, I felt surprisingly good in the water today. I led my lane.
the water felt a bit on the warm side, but since the air was cool (around 40F), it wasn't so bad.

I have absolutely no idea how I did it, but after work I went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview:

Tmill: crappy treadmill
First: did usual warmup, built and it died at exactly 1/2 mile (about 5 min)
Next, died at exactly 17 min (2.05 miles ish), along with a few points where it paused, but I caught...

Leg rolling: 5 min
Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:30
Side plank: 2 rounds of (45 sec right/45 sec left)
Various stretching

Pull-ups: 3 x 8, plus 5 sec horiz legs after each

Biceps preacher curls: 2 x 12 x 80, 2 x 9 x 90

Hammer strength front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 3 x 10 x 180

Standing single arm dumbbell biceps curls: 1 x 12 x 30's, 2 x 10 x 35's

Life fitness lat raise: 1 x 12 x 50, 2 x 9 x 65

I have no idea what was going on with that treadmill, but it really pissed me off. either a squirlley computer or over sensitive buttons, perhaps both. never had so many issues with one before.

after that, I started to feel some leftover lactic acid while I did planks. felt like my whole body was shaking, especially the last few seconds. oddly, I didn't feel it as bad on the side planks, but could have been since I only hold for 45, then flip to the other side.

was really surprised I cranked out 3 x 8 pullups. heck, I remember when I was in high school we had to do the Presidential Fitness Test at the beginning of every year. freshman year I did 1, sophomore year 2, junior year 4, and senior year 8.
so to do 8 after not lifting for a month, 3x... well that's pretty good.

I'm certain my arms will scream at me tomorrow/Wednesday. perhaps my back too. but that stuff all felt fine while doing it today.

as for the meet, I think I did pretty decent. unfortunately I didn't record any of my results. I found 3 of them on swimphone, but it looks like the full results are only on Google docs right now. I do have gmail, but it is a funky account through my grad school, and I don't have access to the docs.
hopefully the full results will be posted on USMS in the next day or 2. evidently someone figured out how to find my 400 free results, how I have no idea, but it looks like I was about 1-1/2 sec faster than last time.
one thing I that I did differently this year... before I did the 200 free on Saturday, I looked in my swim bag of goodies and saw my NYC Swim cap (orange, that I got at the Statue of Liberty Swim), and decided, "what the heck," put it on before I warmed up for it. it didn't feel too horrible, so I wore it for the race--my first ever. after that, I also wore it for the 400 free, 100 free, and 100 breast on Sunday. I'll have to put in an order the next time my team does one.

the meet was very good. I really like the BU pool, for an indoor pool at least. the water was a bit on the chilly side, but worked for a swim meet. I remember slipping on at least one turn on that bulkhead (and the bulkhead has a cutout you want to use for your hands on breast turns). warmup Saturday was a bit of a mosh pit, but Sunday was surprisingly nice.

of course it was nice to see other forumites and spend time with them
got to see The Fortress, SwimStud, rxleakem (as well as his wife, son, and aunt), along with many other swimmers. as before, everyone is surprised that I'd go all the way from the Phoenix area to Boston for a swim meet (I did mention how cheap the airfare was, but didn't mention the double miles )

the location of the pool is great too. it is an easy walk to the Green B line of the T, and I stayed at the Hilton Back Bay, just a few stops away at Hynes Center station. it was a pretty easy ride to Logan, Green to Blue (although it was packed, I was just glad I didn't have huge bags).

Submit "Monday 12102012 workouts" to Digg Submit "Monday 12102012 workouts" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday 12102012 workouts" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday 12102012 workouts" to Google

Comments

Great to see you, Tim. Of the races I saw, I like 100 breast the most (1:26). I wish I had seen your 400 free, but of course was snoozing. Double miles is pretty sweet!
    I don't see any splits for your 400, but congrats on dropping time (unlike James) and congrats on your breast time, that looks like a solid swim.