View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Weekend 1214-12162012

Rate this Entry
by , December 16th, 2012 at 11:21 PM (94 Views)
ended up not riding on Friday afternoon; my other half was out of town, I had ordered a bunch of Christmas gifts online and they all came on Thurs-Fri. So it turned into a great opportunity to open and wrap all of these things.

but I did meet my friend at the gym Friday after work:

Tmill: 20 min, 257 cal, 2.25 miles, avg 6.7 mph
2 min warmup
Jump to 6.8 mph, increase to 7.6 mph
1 min warmdown

Leg rolling: 5 min
Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:30
Side plank: two rounds of (45 sec right/45 sec left)
Various stretches

Bench: 1 x 15 x 45, 2 x 10 x 135, 1 x 5 x 155

Triceps skull crushers: 3 x 10 x 65 + 5 chest presses

Precor pec fly: 1 x 15 x 110, 1 x 12 x 150, 2 x 10 x 170

Leg raise on captain's chair: 3 x 15

it was a pretty quick workout, about 90 min total, if that. although we were both at the gym, we pretty much did different things. yea we ran, then I did my foam roller and stuff while he did weights (he did biceps + back). I never realized how quickly I shower and dress after the gym, at least compared with him.
we had planned to go to a microbrewery in downtown Chandler after, but it was packed...so we went to Irish Republic instead, and both got a black & tan. he was fairly unsuspecting as to his surprise party.

I went to the party after swinging by home, and it sounds like he was really surprised. of course he said he could never trust me again

we had a rare day of rain about the entire day yesterday here. cold rain, temps in the low 50s...just not typical for the AZ deserts.

this morning I went out for a spin on my bike:
Home to Ahwatukee 60.17 mi 03:24 17.7mph pace

The air was nice and clean after 2 days of rain here. It was in the 40s when I left home, but the sun was coming up. After I crossed the I-10, I went through a patch of pretty thick fog...don't think I had ever ridden through fog before. Thankfully it cleared by the time I hit Pecos in Ahwatukee. Did a full loop on Desert Foothills, all the way to the end, back for another Desert Foothills Loop, and a stop at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass before coming home. This was my longest ride in over 3 weeks. Wasn't too bad, but need to work on my eating a little better.
I normally eat a PB&J before a longer Sunday ride. but this morning, I really didn't feel too hungry, so I just snacked on some Aussie bites. I felt fine...until I got way to the end of Ahwatukee. I always bring a bag with more Aussie bites, but rarely eat them. I ate one then, then the other when I stopped at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass (I stop at a golf course restroom, and a golfer said to me, "where's your clubs," and I said, "you don't want to see me golf.")

later today, I went over to the nearby 24 Hour Fitness for a mostly recovery swim:

500 w/u

6 x 50 kick, w/board (no fins), done as 2 rounds of:
* free
* fly
* breast

5 x 100 kick w/board + fins--
* 1 & 3 free
* 2 & 4 fly
* #5 was 25 free/25 fly

2 x 50 swim w/fins, done as--
* 25 easy free
* 25 fly

100 easy

3 x 200 pull w/paddles + buoy

200 w/d

TTL: 2300 yards

the pool area was actually somewhat busy. there was someone in my fav lane nearly the whole time (through my pull set), and for a while someone in the open area, so I was relegated to the wall lane. at least by the time I did the fly, the woman in the open area left, so I did that over there (didn't want to be too close to the wall).
I did some stretching in the hot tub after that, then did a quick plunge back in the pool to cool back off.

starting to think of events to do next year. I'll be trying to juggle some cycling, swimming, and probably a triathlon in with personal vacation, and what work travel I know so far.

while at dinner after day 1 of the Boston meet, I committed (in a somewhat drunken state) that I'd do a 400 IM at that meet next year. it doesn't have to be fast--and chances are it won't be--but I do want to make sure it is all legal (and I'd like to avoid butterfrog). if I have to, I'll pause at the walls during the fly leg to take a breath (or several). I already asked Laura to work with me on my fly, and she seemed excited at the challenge.
the odd thing is, I've run 3 marathons, rode in El Tour (111 miles), yet the 400 IM scares me more than either.

Submit "Weekend 1214-12162012" to Digg Submit "Weekend 1214-12162012" to del.icio.us Submit "Weekend 1214-12162012" to StumbleUpon Submit "Weekend 1214-12162012" to Google

Comments

Good job helping on the surprise party.

The 400 IM is damn scary!
    Good write up of everything! As a lefty with a bad slice, when I finally gave away my golf clubs I made the world a bit safer for car windows everywhere. Haha

You will conquer the 400 IM!
    Quote Originally Posted by slow
    Good write up of everything! As a lefty with a bad slice, when I finally gave away my golf clubs I made the world a bit safer for car windows everywhere. Haha

You will conquer the 400 IM!
    Haha, I'm also left handed
    I took golf classes twice through the local community college. I figured just in case I had a manager who wanted to golf that at least I wouldn't embarrass myself. Thankfully I've never had to use it, and should probably do it again (it was only $45 for the class, and I think an extra $20 or so greens fee, and we used a pretty nice local course).

I sat and watched the 400 IM at BU...both the people who took 10+ min, and those who swam it much faster than my 400 free. It just made me think, "if all these people can do it, I should be able to muddle through it..."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Good job helping on the surprise party.

The 400 IM is damn scary!
    Yea, it was fun to help out. I hadn't even met this guy's wife before the party.
    My Mom did something for my Dad when he turned 60. Only this was back in the early 1990s, before Facebook, cell phones, etc. I have no idea how she pulled it off, but he was really surprised (I think my brother took him to a movie, then they got home to the party).

Maybe we can both do the 400 IM at BU next year