View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Monday 12172012

Rate this Entry
by , December 18th, 2012 at 12:20 AM (74 Views)
went up to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters swim workout
Paul & Laura coached
I was with Paul's group in the main pool (LCM); Laura's group was in the warm-up pool (SCY)

5 x 100 @ :20 rest, 25 scull/75 swim

10 x 50 @ :50, "to get the blood flowing"

500 pull (used paddles + buoy), focus on low stroke count (was around 33-35)

10 x 50 @ 1:10, non-free (did 4 breast, 1 back)

5 x 100 social kick @ :20 rest. used board + fins, and 3 of us all kicked together and chatted (a rarity for me)

300 choice (used paddles + buoy)

200 w/d

TTL: 3000m

I thought I got there with a few minutes to get in warm-up, but as soon as I got on deck (well the bulkhead), Paul held up the group.
we had 4 lanes of the main pool (half), while a college group came and used the remainder. I hate to say team, as there was just a handful of swimmers, and they seemed to just dolphin dive the whole time.

anyway, the swim was a good get the blood flowing, without much pushing. that's one thing I like about Paul's Monday sets

some people from my office were doing a Christmas cookie exchange after work. only it wasn't at my office, but at another about an hour across town. and you were supposed to bring 5 dozen cookies. I actually considered going, made some peanut butter cookies (with a Hershey's kiss) yesterday, but just made about 20, and that seemed overkill. so I just said screw it, and decided I'd just go to the gym after work

went up to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview:

Tmill: 23 min, 303 cal, 2.65 miles, avg 6.9 mph
2 min warmup
Start at 6.8 mph, increase to 8.1
1 min warmdown

Leg rolling: 5 min
Plank w forearms on green Swiss ball: 2 x 1:30
Side plank: two rounds of (45 sec right/45 sec left)
Right into plank, push-ups, stretching

Pull-ups: 3 x 8 w/5 sec horiz legs

Standing univ machine biceps curls: 1 x 15 x 80, 1 x 12 x 110, 2 x 10 x 120, 1 x 8 x 130

Univ machine front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 1 x 12 x 120, 2 x 10 x 135

Univ machine seated row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 120, 2 x 9 x 135

Standing single arm dumbbell hammer curls: 1 x 15 x 30, 1 x 12 x 35, 1 x 9 x 40

Leg raises on captain's chair: 3 x 15

for the first time in ages, I got into, "the zone," while running today. not sure if it was the music, feeling good, or what, but it felt so great after that happened. once I'm in, "the zone," running is so much easier, the time just ticks right by, and I run much faster too. It happened around 17 min in; I was just going to do 20 min, but went a hair longer. I thought of just going for it, but knew I'd regret it if I ran too far.

the gym is starting to see the holiday flux; nearly half the treadmills were open, and the Universal machine was pretty open too (that usually is the busiest area).
I'd like to get back to a somewhat steady 2-3 times at the gym a week. that may help keep some of the cookies and other treats from sticking to me

Submit "Monday 12172012" to Digg Submit "Monday 12172012" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday 12172012" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday 12172012" to Google

Comments

Inquiring minds want to know:
    I actually considered going, made some peanut butter cookies (with a Hershey's kiss) yesterday, but just made about 20, and that seemed overkill. so I just said screw it, and decided I'd just go to the gym after work
    What happened to the cookies?
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Inquiring minds want to know:

What happened to the cookies?
    Ha!

I ate 2 shortly after they were out of the oven. Nothing quite like still-warm freshly baked cookies. The kisses almost burned the roof of my mouth tho

We snacked on a few later Sunday and yesterday. After I ate lunch today (working from home), I was looking for something sweet, and ate 2 more

There's still a dozen or so left, wrapped on a plate on the kitchen counter.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    The kisses almost burned the roof of my mouth tho
    Bake the cookies without the kisses, then press the kisses into the cookie as soon as the come out of the oven. The kiss warms up, the cookie cools off, and you can eat them fresh from the oven with damage.