View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Wednesday 12192012

Rate this Entry
by , December 20th, 2012 at 12:35 AM (93 Views)
went up to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters swim workout
again we had the entire main pool (LCM)
Paul & Laura coached, I was with Paul's group

2 x 100 @ 1:40
300 choice

4 x 100 @ 1:35
300 choice

6 x 100 @ 1:30 (used paddles + buoy)
300 choice

8 x 100 @ 1:25 (used fins + paddles)
300 choice

4 x 50 kick @ 1:00 (used fins + board)

100 w/d

TTL: 3500m

it was a bit chilly this morning, upper 30s, so it was very quick getting in the water. and very quick getting out and getting into the locker room (and a bit painful). thankfully the water is nice and warm (I'd guess at least 80F).

I swam with 2 guys, one is quite a bit faster (he occasionally visits the forums so I won't say who, but he does some very long swims ). I went 3rd, but with LCM we go 10 sec apart, so I had no draft.

once Paul gave the second bit to the set (he gave the set in bits), I figured out what would be coming next... I can usually handle swimming 100s LCM @ 1:30 but today I just wasn't feeling it, so I grabbed my paddles. then I certainly knew 1:25 would be a challenge, but it wasn't so bad with fins + paddles.

this puts me just over 488 miles YTD. just 12 to go...and if I do our 100 x 100m on 12/29 I'll get over 6 right there
(still debating if I'll do it)

I had an appt with my eye doctor today, actually one eye has gotten better since last year. but she dilated my eyes...after that, working proved a challenge. I normally like to open my blinds in the afternoon (get morning sun), but today I didn't.
went out to lunch with a co-worker to Oregano's, ate way too much, and between that and my eyes still recovering, I felt like I could use a nap all afternoon.

I purposely waited to leave work until 5:30, just after the sun set, so I could drive a bit easier...and headed to the gym.
traffic was suddenly a PITA, maybe we have winter visitors, other holiday visitors, and people just being stupid. anything remotely connected to shopping seemed busy, but thankfully the gym parking lot was nearly empty when I got there:

Tmill: 21 min, 275 cal, 2.4 miles, avg 6.8 mph
2 min warmup
Jump to 6.9 mph and increase to 7.7
A min warmdown

Leg rolling: 5 min
Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:30
Side plank: two rounds of (45 sec right/45 sec left)
Various plank, push-ups, stretches

Decline bench: 2 x 12 x 135, 1 x 10 x 135, 1 x 6 x 145

Triceps skull crushers: 2 x 12 x 65 + 6, 1 x 10 x 70 + 5

Free motion dual cable cross chest fly: 1 x 15 x 60, 1 x 12 x 70, 1 x 10 x 80, 2 x 9 x 85

I just wore my glasses to the gym (after wearing them all day I didn't feel like putting in my contacts), and working out just seemed odd.
I didn't get into, "the zone," at all running, so I just did my ~20 min run. had some decent music, but it just seemed a constant struggle.

I worked in with another guy on the decline bench. it was kinda nice, we both were lifting 135, spotted for each other, then he left, so I added a little more weight.
while doing my roller stuff, I saw the Freemotion machines in the stretching area; hardly anyone uses those. there's 2 in the main weights area that are always occupied, so I used one of the secret ones

supposed to be cold here again tonight. actually where I live they're calling for a freeze warning. we covered some plants out front, as well as our vegetable garden. it will be tough to get up early and swim if it is that cold (or I could just opt for the indoor gym pool).

Submit "Wednesday 12192012" to Digg Submit "Wednesday 12192012" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday 12192012" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday 12192012" to Google

Updated December 20th, 2012 at 12:43 AM by aztimm

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Running

Comments

You gotta make sure you get to the 500 mile mark, even if you don't do it by the 100 x 100 route.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    You gotta make sure you get to the 500 mile mark, even if you don't do it by the 100 x 100 route.
    Oh I will get in the 500 miles. If I do the 100 x 100s it will be easier...but otherwise it will probably be very close. One of the nice things about going to a gym w/pool is I could always swim there.