View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Indy Off / 2013 Vision

Rate this Entry
by , January 7th, 2013 at 06:40 PM (144 Views)
It really pains me to write this, but Indianapolis Nationals is going to be a no-go for me. This bums me out to no end as Indy remains my favorite pool in the country and I was really, really, really looking forward to racing there. Beyond that, my absence breaks by 5-in-a-row streak for attending spring Nationals. On the bright side, the reason is kind of good as I had a talk accepted at a geeky conference that my company likes to make a splash at each year. The downside is that the conference is May 5th to 8th; while I technically could jet over to Indy after that, I know two things to be true:
  • This conference is draining -- it's a big selling / customer engagement opportunity for us so I am usually running (and on my feet) from pre-breakfast meetings until late in the evening. I would be physically wasted if I showed up in Indy.
  • With the amount that I travel, tossing a full week away from home would not be fair to my family.

So, while I'm bummed from a swimming perspective, I'll adapt. In fact, I've already begun to develop a backup plan:
  • I'm going to use my SCY season as a re-building effort. In part, I need to do this because of the nagging shoulder problem. I intend to use this time, as well, toL
    • Focus on my technique.
    • Play around with new technology/toys
    • Experiment with different training approaches in and out of the pool

• I'll race in meets locally through April. Although the AZ calendar's not up yet, we should have

• I'll set my sights, though, on trying to race fast in a June LCM meet ... hopefully the Colonies Zone Championships in Richmond.
  • I may or may not show up for some part of the Mission Viejo Nationals; if I do, it will probably only be to swim relays and for 2 days max as that time of the year is full-on-family time.

Today's efforts ended up being all on the dry-side:
  • 30 minutes yoga + meditation
  • My routine of pre-hab / injury prevention stretch cords
  • My first (very limited) time back with weights, doing 10 reps each of
    • Bench w/15 lb dumbbells
    • Rows w/15 lb dumbbells
    • Tricep press w/15 lb dumbbells
    • Hammer curls w/10 lb dumbbells
    • Calf raises

I did the weight work for two reasons:
  • I wanted to see which exercises (rows and traditional curls) caused pain and where in my left arm (forearm on both). I'll be scheduling some time with an ART guy (www.ironcare.com) in the next week or so and want to be able to tell him what causes the pain.
  • Once I have my shoulder/arm healed, I do want to build back into a weight-lifting routine. One of the things I want to play around with this spring is better overall / total body fitness vs. just training to swim fast.

I really, really, really also dislike the extra spaces the new blog formatting introduces seemingly randomly between paragraphs.

Submit "Indy Off / 2013 Vision" to Digg Submit "Indy Off / 2013 Vision" to del.icio.us Submit "Indy Off / 2013 Vision" to StumbleUpon Submit "Indy Off / 2013 Vision" to Google

Comments

Too bad about Indy. I am so excited to go.

I actually had the weird spacing thing with the old format too.

The internet demands a Fluffy update with pictures!
    Total body fitness is generally so very different than training to swim fast. Sigh. I will say that, although I am not focusing on weights as much as I used to, I think my swimming does benefit from the cumulative strength training from past years. I'm still really jacked, though lately it seems like my in water toys may be the culprit. Unlike you, though, a pull buoy is the one toy that isn't in my bag.

Sorry about Indy, but it would be awful right after a conference like that. Hopefully, there will be a good showing at Richmond!
    I feel (part of) your pain ... I was looking forward to Pan Ams in Sarasota in June, but it will likely be nixed by a coincident professional conference / company-centered sales opportunity in Vancouver. Cry me a river, right? Who likes to go to Vancouver?

Agreed on new blog formatting. It could use some work.
    Sorry to hear about INDY, but your decision relieves me from having to ramp up training sooner than I or my new hip wants to in order to join you there.
    Too bad about Indy. Swimosaur's comment got me thinking, though. Any thought of Sarasota for you instead?

I'm still undecided on Indy also. Just talked to my good friend in Michigan and he can't go due to a Boy Scout camping trip with his son.
    I really wanted to go to Indy this year. Being that it is scheduled for Mothers Day weekend I will not be signing my own death sentence. Instead, I will use the Pan Am games as my "big" meet to look forward to. knelson may be on to something here for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by joel schmaltz
    Being that it is scheduled for Mothers Day weekend I will not be signing my own death sentence.
    Good thing I'm flying out Saturday afternoon and will be home late Saturday. That way I can sleep through the celebration.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    The internet demands a Fluffy update with pictures!
    I will try to comply with the demand!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Total body fitness is generally so very different than training to swim fast. Sigh. I will say that, although I am not focusing on weights as much as I used to, I think my swimming does benefit from the cumulative strength training from past years.
    That's kind of what I'm hoping helps in the longer term.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I'm still really jacked
    That will never, ever, ever be said about me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swimosaur
    I feel (part of) your pain ... I was looking forward to Pan Ams in Sarasota in June, but it will likely be nixed by a coincident professional conference / company-centered sales opportunity in Vancouver. Cry me a river, right? Who likes to go to Vancouver?
    Sorry for your loss, as well. As to Vancouver, it is truly fabulous, but, as you probably also know, a business trip to a cool city is never really as cool as a vacation to a cool city. Still, when you're there, you need try to swim at Kitsilano pool (http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation...lano-pool.aspx and http://bcxs.com/images/kitspool2.jpg). I haven't done so yet, but it's on my pool bucket list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old BrsStrk
    Sorry to hear about INDY, but your decision relieves me from having to ramp up training sooner than I or my new hip wants to in order to join you there.
    But that might have been better than you training for LCM at GRAP in June??
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Too bad about Indy. Swimosaur's comment got me thinking, though. Any thought of Sarasota for you instead?
    I did briefly think about it, but I really prefer to race indoors. Plus, while the pool looks nice and I'm sure it'll be a fun event, it'll be too hot for fast racing, IMHO, already in June.
    Quote Originally Posted by joel schmaltz
    I really wanted to go to Indy this year. Being that it is scheduled for Mothers Day weekend I will not be signing my own death sentence.
    Well, there's another good reason ... probably the best reason not to be in Indy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Good thing I'm flying out Saturday afternoon and will be home late Saturday. That way I can sleep through the celebration.
    Smart man. That was my original plan, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Smart man. That was my original plan, as well.
    Not my doing...I blame USMS for the great meet schedule this year.