View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Fri 0201 to Mon 02042013

Rate this Entry
by , February 4th, 2013 at 11:25 PM (121 Views)
swam with the team @ Kino Friday, Paul coached, but it wasn't a workout I liked. I don't remember the specifics, mostly 50s and 75s, supposed to be fast, but I just wasn't feeling it.
was about 3000 yards total.

went out for a nice spin on my bike yesterday morning:
Home-Beeline-Bush Hwy-Usery-Home 75.84 mi 04:13 18.0mph pace

I've wanted to do this ride for ages but never had the guts to try it, until today. I made arrangements to meet Will V (from Strava) at Beeline/Gilbert, and estimated how long it would take, and I was within 2-3 min We hardly saw a soul on the Beeline, it was eerily quiet. Bush Hwy is always fun, I think I clocked speeds 38-40mph. Usery didn't seem quite so bad with Will beside me (and he was chatting most of the time). Around when we crested it started drizzling, which felt really good. We split up at Ellsworth/Brown, and of course I had winds at me nearly the whole way home from there. Weather was nice, 50-60F+, but overcast the whole way.
http://app.strava.com/activities/39657488

after I pulled in the driveway, I unclipped, dismounted, leaned the bike against the garage door, and was putting on my cleat covers...when the next door neighbor ran over. he was all curious how far I rode, where, etc. then he invited me his Superbowl party. I bowed out (heck I don't even know his name), think it was a nonvite...they set up a tent in their yard and wanted to invite us just in case it was too loud.
we watched, and it was nice to just lounge on the couch and not have to worry about getting dressed and dealing with people.

Since we watched the game, and ate plenty of food (mostly chicken wings), I didn't do my usual Sunday evening swim at the gym...

went this morning to swim with the team at Kino

missed w/u
3 x 300, various swim/drill, stroke, etc @ 5:00
4 x 200 pull @ 3:00, w/paddles + buoy
5 x 100 @ 1:30, swim w/fins + paddles
6 x 50 kick @ 1:00
8 x 25 underwater kick @ :50
500 w/d

TTL: 3200 yards

after biking a bit yesterday, this swim was about perfect for me. I was a bit sore, and my stomach wasn't the best from the gorge fest.
it was odd that Paul said we were done, but had 7 min to warm-down. it definitely isn't like him. I did a mix of free, then a bunch of back/breast.

went out to lunch with a gal at work, we went to Black Bear:
http://blackbeardiner.com/
I figured I'd just get a salad, got the Buffalo Chicken salad. well this has got to be the biggest salad I've ever seen. I ate maybe half of it.
pretty much wrote off going to the gym, but somehow I managed to waddle over....

went to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview:
Tmill: 17 min, 2 miles, 210 cal
3 min warmup
Jump to 6.8 mph
Gradually increased, Tmill abruptly stopped

Leg rolling: 5+ min
Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:30
Side plank: two rounds of 45 sec right, 45 sec left
About 10 min of stretching, from legs to neck
20 sec reg plank
3 x 10 mountain climbers

Hoist roc it shoulder press: 3 x 12 x 83

Hoist roc it seated dip: 3 x 12 x 121

Hoist roc it biceps curl: 3 x 12 x 77

Hoist roc it abs: 1 set at 80--
Straight-15
Left-10
Right-10
Straight-5
Set 2: repeated at 90

after that I went in the pool and did an easy 500m

gym was pretty packed!

when the treadmill first randomly stopped, I was a bit ticked. but I figured it was a sign, so I just stopped.

I really need to do more stretching. the gal who does my massage always tells me I should every day. it felt so good to stretch, and felt good after too... I wasn't going to lift at all, but after that I felt like doing some machines, lightly.

Submit "Fri 0201 to Mon 02042013" to Digg Submit "Fri 0201 to Mon 02042013" to del.icio.us Submit "Fri 0201 to Mon 02042013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Fri 0201 to Mon 02042013" to Google

Comments

Man, 75 miles is excellent for February. There's no way I could be ready in time for the Spring Century rides.

Do you do multi-day bike touring?
    I've decided all masseuses tell us our muscles are tight. I'm really flexible and I still get told that.

Paul doesn't like to kill you guys on Monday. He seems to view that as a set up day for the week.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I've decided all masseuses tell us our muscles are tight. I'm really flexible and I still get told that.

Paul doesn't like to kill you guys on Monday. He seems to view that as a set up day for the week.
    I think there was once, when I was going to the prior massage gal, she said something like, "you must be doing your foam rolling, your legs aren't too tight." But it was once, and there was probably something else going on too.
    I'm tempted to ask this gal the next time, "do you ever tell someone 'why the heck are you here, you're not tight at all.'"

And yes, Paul designs his workout week with Monday mostly being a lighter day. Not necessarily easy... Makes it easier to get back into swimming after riding 75 miles the day before
    Quote Originally Posted by slow
    Man, 75 miles is excellent for February. There's no way I could be ready in time for the Spring Century rides.

Do you do multi-day bike touring?
    Ha! I built up my riding for el Tour de Tucson in Nov. I did take it easier for a few weeks in Dec and Jan, mostly forced due to travel, weather, or illness. But given that I live here in AZ, where we have great weather right now, I figure why not take advantage of it?

Our cycling season mostly goes from mid-Sep to mid-May. I'm sure if you want to, you can find some shorter things going on in the summer. There's a few weeks break around the holidays too. I'll probably do el Tour de Mesa in early April (so long as my work schedule permits), and may try to squeeze in some other things before summer. I actually don't mind (too much) riding in summer. Yea it can be a PITA getting up and out the door for 5am on a weekend, but once you're going you feel good--and even better once you're home by 10-11am.

Funny you ask about multi-day touring... I'm trying to put together a group to do a 2-day trip from the Phoenix area to Tucson, and back again. Do you want to come out to visit and join? I can help arrange a rental bike.
    Oh, I'm not ready for any touring. Thanks for the offer because the Arizona weather does sound great. Right now my base is probably 30 miles...I wasted so much time on that marathon stuff. A friend was putting in a team for the RAGBRAI (sp?) lottery but I had to beg off. I am probably looking out to 2014 or even 2015 before I can be ready.